100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New bike for the missus (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43949)

TektroG 27-02-2011 10:05 PM

New bike for the missus
 
Looks like the missus is just about to land herself a spectacular new job, and to celebrate she's thinking of a new steed to transport herself to and from, and for our biking pleasure the rest of the time (i.e. I get to ride it too).

Current thoughts are along the lines of an 883 shitster or Bonneville, most likely new, or 2 yrs old sort of thing. I had a look and most like the look of the 883 Iron, but then I know bugger all about Harleys.

New they seem to be within a 100s of each other, but given we'll probably keep it for ages, which is the better bike? Btw she's had a licence for years but hasn't ridden in a while.

John Hopkins 27-02-2011 10:49 PM

I would think the Harley is probably the easiest for her to ride but she should take them both for a long test ride, it you are thinking of buying a new one this is the time to ride as many bikes as she can..fun..fun..fun..

John.

ChopperFXR 28-02-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TektroG (Post 605193)
Looks like the missus is just about to land herself a spectacular new job, and to celebrate she's thinking of a new steed to transport herself to and from, and for our biking pleasure the rest of the time (i.e. I get to ride it too).

Current thoughts are along the lines of an 883 shitster or Bonneville, most likely new, or 2 yrs old sort of thing. I had a look and most like the look of the 883 Iron, but then I know bugger all about Harleys.

New they seem to be within a 100s of each other, but given we'll probably keep it for ages, which is the better bike? Btw she's had a licence for years but hasn't ridden in a while.

Making comments like that about a bike you freely admit you know nothing about, just makes you look thick as fuck. If that is your opinion of Sportsters, maybe you should catch the fucking bus.

Chopper.

mickturate 28-02-2011 08:50 AM

fukkin 'ell chop
 
that got to you somewheres eh?

:thumbu:

ps. would that be the 'shortbus' BTW???


sportster v triumph:
my sportster now its had a good service & i've taken off most of the funky chicken bling off is a beaut, still not yet had the loooong ride on it but thats in the offing.

kidhaf 28-02-2011 10:36 AM

Triumph America or Speedmaster great bikes. Am biased I canny see beyond Triumph. Tried a few Harleys just not my thing cannot seem to get comfortable on them.

Nik 28-02-2011 11:40 AM

Sounds like a fair swap! :D

ChopperFXR 28-02-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickturate (Post 605215)
that got to you somewheres eh?

:thumbu:

ps. would that be the 'shortbus' BTW???


sportster v triumph:
my sportster now its had a good service & i've taken off most of the funky chicken bling off is a beaut, still not yet had the loooong ride on it but thats in the offing.


Just makes my shit itch when someone slates a bike that they know nothing about. It is usually people talking about a bike that they either do not own because they cannot afford it or they don't have that bike and wish that they did.

I have seen some fucking horrendous looking bikes, ridden and owned a few as well, yet when I have spoken to some of the owners they absolutely love them. Quite often for some pretty strange reasons.

Ducati's do nothing for me, never have. I borrowed one from a dealer just to try it out and see what all the fuss was about. Got to admit it was fun blasting round bends. I would not buy one as I just don't like the look of them or the way they sound. They have a very dedicated following. Just because I personally would not own one doesn't mean they are crap. Just not my choice of bike is all.


Chopper

John Hopkins 28-02-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopperFXR (Post 605252)
Just makes my shit itch
Chopper

How do you scratch something like that..

John

harry 28-02-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hopkins (Post 605269)
How do you scratch something like that..

John

Just wash you're hands afterwards. :rolleyes:

TektroG 28-02-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopperFXR (Post 605206)
Making comments like that about a bike you freely admit you know nothing about, just makes you look thick as fuck. If that is your opinion of Sportsters, maybe you should catch the fucking bus.

Chopper.

:D I think you might wanna ease up a little, you'll do yerself no good gettin wound up by something that was merely a turn of phrase. One used by certain members on this site who have forgotten more than I may ever know about Harleys.

And yes I am aware that you may fall into this category....:p

Steve D 01-03-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 605232)
Sounds like a fair swap! :D

My thoughts exactly.:D

kajir 01-03-2011 05:19 AM

want a can opener mick, for that particular can o worms??

mickturate 01-03-2011 09:04 AM

think i'll pass.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kajir (Post 605334)
want a can opener mick, for that particular can o worms??


Its fair to say I kno's feck all about Harleys, I got this one v. recent & my last un sometime back in the 70's, it was a v. old WLA 45....it was not fast, it was not oil tight but I did enjoy those summers we spent together. when it ran.

Triumphs ditto: 3ta/5ta's, t100 -that was a fan fuckin tastic 'barn find' & like the stupid kid that I was I sold it too soon, couple of bonnevilles & thats it...but none of the new variety, none at all & so I can offer no opinion except (:D) that some of em 'look nice'

it'd be great to have a greaser tv prog. that might display the pro's n con's of each wouldn't it?

MCN (More Crap than News) does a fair line in telling me how good every bike is & will do comparisons of like for like-tourers/romper suiters/etc.

but its hardly a 'biker' comparison issit?

John's comment fitted me best:lots of test rides & have fun.

:thumbsu:

devon-tony 01-03-2011 09:55 AM

the poor ol sportster does come in for a hammering from people, I never had much to say about them as I hadnt had one, but impressions given by others had somewhat tainted my perception of them, I didnt want to own one as they were crap, or so I beleived

very recently I actually managed to have a go on a 1200 sportster, not stock, modern wheels and suspension etc

I bloody loved it, great fun, pulled well, sounded great and once Im bored with the trike at the end of this summer, it will be getting sold to start my own build round a sportster engine.

it really is one of them occasions when the "dont knock it until youve tried it" couldnt be more true

Beano 01-03-2011 11:01 AM

Let her get what she wants.
Test ride everything and anything.....if someone passes the keys over, take them and she can get out on the road. She might want a single...? A'V'.....she has to have a go on everything.

I would advice against a Ducati 900 ss cos they hurt yer fanny.....:D

mickturate 01-03-2011 01:54 PM

please explain:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 605351)
I would advice against a Ducati 900 ss cos they hurt yer fanny.....:D

more details please....;)

deadhamster 01-03-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beano (Post 605351)
Let her get what she wants.
Test ride everything and anything.....if someone passes the keys over, take them and she can get out on the road. She might want a single...? A'V'.....she has to have a go on everything.

I would advice against a Ducati 900 ss cos they hurt yer fanny.....:D

My brother has a 900SS, sez it dont hurt his fanny at all;)

TektroG 05-03-2011 09:37 PM

All of these Trumpets appear to be pretty much the same, just different wheels, forks, seats, but same 863cm3 twin motor with injectors hidden in fake carbs (!)

There's an America model just down the road from me for a bargain price with only 9k on the clock, should take a look...

People want a lot of money for secondhand 883 sportsters, even ones with a fair bit of mileage and a good few years old.

lowrider 05-03-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TektroG (Post 605658)
People want a lot of money for secondhand 883 sportsters, even ones with a fair bit of mileage and a good few years old.

Just a case of finding one that has been messed around with a bit that needs sorting.
I got one a while back for 3k with 1200 conversion but the elecs needed sorting and it had a crappy paint job.
Mind you i had went to the shop to buy a pair of boots so i had an interesting conversation with the wife when i got home:rolleyes:

TektroG 13-03-2011 08:58 PM

Bit gutted as I phoned for a 2yr old Bonneville America just down the road from here that was still on a UK plate and was up for 5200 with only 9000km on the clock. It'd gone, ho hum. Missus fancied it but didn't have the wire wheels she wanted. Keep lookin around I guess...

TektroG 13-03-2011 09:01 PM

So reference Sportster engines, what's the best way to tune em up for a bit more performance withou going down the 1200 conversion route that every man and his dog seems to go for?
Or why has ostensibly the same Buell engine got much more performance?


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.