100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Advice: Soldering Bowden Cables (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36567)

happybiker 08-09-2008 10:15 AM

Advice: Soldering Bowden Cables

Don't. Get a professional to make them for you

smeghead 01-10-2008 07:02 PM

it all depends on what type of cable you are using, tis easy enough, but if you get sold the newfangled stainless stuff it requires a different flux

matthewmosse 01-10-2008 08:09 PM

I solder em fairly often, but being in the position of having the kit I nomally opt for brazing on over solder. Just clean them up well before beginning, a dremel type drill with a wire brush is good for this, use plenty of flux and clean off excess once done as flux is corrosive

Steve D 02-10-2008 03:58 PM

I remember our local bike shop, when I was a lot younger, had a press to form a mushroom shape on the end of the cable that then fitted neatly into the ferule. I used to try and replecate this using long nose pliers and a ballpeen hammer, with some success.

John Hopkins 02-10-2008 07:07 PM

As the cables are generally steel you cant solder them, why would you need to try, you can buy the inners in continous lengths and cut them to the required size and there are probably dozens of places like http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/qu...al_display.htm

Where you can buy the ferrules in any size you want for a few pence....John

matthewmosse 02-10-2008 07:18 PM

Unless I'm being thick (not unlikely/ wouldn't be the first time) then them's pushbike cables on that link:confused: I know where cable inners are available with ferules in town but they are to tighten on with a grub screw, good for roadside repairs but not very pernement so I solder them up when I'm in the shed, if Im in a hurry then I'll solder on some steel bar as a ferule, the thing always brake at the worst time and when I've no spares:rolleyes:

John Hopkins 02-10-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmosse (Post 539568)
Unless I'm being thick (not unlikely/ wouldn't be the first time) then them's pushbike cables on that link:confused: I know where cable inners are available with ferules in town but they are to tighten on with a grub screw, good for roadside repairs but not very pernement so I solder them up when I'm in the shed, if Im in a hurry then I'll solder on some steel bar as a ferule, the thing always brake at the worst time and when I've no spares:rolleyes:

You are absolutely correct sir, they are for pushbikes, but the fact remains that you can buy the correct ferrules and inners if you want to make your own, Mine seem to last forever and usually give plenty of warning before they go, but you could always carry an original spare, The last emergency repair to get me home I used a 5amp connecting strip, I was mixing the word solder with braze or weld...Sorry...John

matthewmosse 02-10-2008 10:03 PM

first time one went (throttle) it was outside work in the depths of winter, thing froze up solid. Got home using the choke and tickover screw on the carbs, plus slipping the cluch on the hills, then I figured out It was possible to swap the push and pull cables over and gear changes dont need a cluch:thumbsu: still try to carry a repair kit though:thumbsu:

dfg1943@yahoo.co.uk 20-10-2012 11:12 PM

Years ago when I first started biking, making up cables was the done thing. The ferrule had a dimple or countersink in it and we spread the wire with a centre punch and a light ballpein hammer. The wire had to be clean and we used a non corrosive flux to solder the joint, the strength in the joint is from the spread wire, the solder just holds it together. I was in the RAF at the time and working in the workshops, making up cables was part of the job. This was back in the 1960s before the throwaway society! :(

transitman 11-05-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfg1943@yahoo.co.uk (Post 634814)
I was in the RAF at the time and working in the workshops, making up cables was part of the job. This was back in the 1960s before the throwaway society! :(

snap! that takes me back! I too was in the RAF in the '60's, started work as an Airframe Mechanic in 1962, stayed in for 22 years