100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   10 geared cb 1000 (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33138)

hacky 16-02-2008 09:44 PM

10 geared cb 1000

10 geared cb 1000....do they really exist or is it just another evilbay scam.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CB-1000-AMERIC...QQcmdZViewItem
:confused:

gurnE 16-02-2008 09:53 PM

It's real.

It has a high/low speed box turning the 5 speed gearbox into ten total ratios.

Pointless but not a scam!

Nik 16-02-2008 10:22 PM

I knew they'd done summat with a 750, but not a 1000. :confused: Or was that an automatic?

gurnE 16-02-2008 10:39 PM

Yep, the Hondamatic. They did a CB400 with it too

John Hopkins 16-02-2008 11:02 PM

I can't see the point in it, you have to skip most of the gears anyway, just awkward, but they probably didn't make many of them (after all who would want one) so it is probably very rare, I still wouldn't want one though.. :D John

*Ace* 16-02-2008 11:09 PM

As it happens... i have the CB900c, 5 gears with a high low splitter box essentially giving you 10 gears, though not 1-10,

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/DSC01600.jpg

it is also a shafty using the rear end from the gL1000 air suspension and all.

They were produced for the amarican market and only imported to the uk by dealers or private.

The Thou is pretty much the same but it uses the 1000cc bold'hour engine. The CB750c is essentially a CB750 with apes and a tear drop tank, still has a 5 speed box and is chain driven.

Pointless, well i kinda agree but dissagree, it is designed for long hauls loaded two up, the high range gives you more low end grunt and ability to accelerate better when loaded, round town etc, then once you are on the open road you can flick it into low and it acts like an over drive droping the revs and cruising nicely.

I use it like a mood box, if i am in the mood to rag about like a deranged gitter high on petulia oil and napalm death then i keep it in high, but if i want to get my pipe n slippers out and do the charlie up right thing the i slip into the more comfortable radio 2 low ratio and have a lovely day.

*Ace* 16-02-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hopkins
I can't see the point in it, you have to skip most of the gears anyway, just awkward, but they probably didn't make many of them (after all who would want one) so it is probably very rare, I still wouldn't want one though.. :D John

LOL.. i love mine, i do use the splitter box but not just that it has a completely diferent frame to the CB900 F , it is lower slung with a little more rake on the head stock. Put together i love the way it rides, low center of gravity and pretty tight (cue Blackjack to tell me i am talkin ****e....:D) .

Unfortunately all this is let down by the super soft suspension designed for the lardy yank i guess. i am planning a set of progressive fork springs and heavier oil and some modern shocks Poss cb1300, though having chopped the back off it shouldn't be too bad on the rear shocks now.

John Hopkins 17-02-2008 12:02 AM

Well that's what its all about, we all have our little favourites, and I must admit, I never got on with the 'sports' bikes or 'scramblers' (they call them off road bikes now) always liked the classic (sit up and beg) bikes, and now I'm getting older I've bought an old American bike in the style of a cruiser to see me out... :D John

pyro 17-02-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurnE
They did a CB400 with it too

I hate to admit it, but I had one, evil piece of ****, only virtue was to sit at the lights with one hand on the bars when next to another bike, then take off while they were still waiting for you to pull the clutch in, biggest downside? Where the clutch lever was is the parking brake..... force of habit in a bend gave you a bit of a surprise...
:eek:

*Ace* 17-02-2008 12:41 AM

:eek: fookin ell i'd say... :D

BigBod 18-02-2008 11:24 AM

I had a CB1000C for a few years and have always regretted getting rid of it. It was a fantastic bike. Used to leave it in the low ratio for nipping round town, and the higher ratio for cruising on longer trips.

Never had trouble getting parts for it from Dave Silver or from the US.

erizo 19-02-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyro
I hate to admit it, but I had one, evil piece of ****, only virtue was to sit at the lights with one hand on the bars when next to another bike, then take off while they were still waiting for you to pull the clutch in, biggest downside? Where the clutch lever was is the parking brake..... force of habit in a bend gave you a bit of a surprise...
:eek:

i had one too!

400 quidsworth of absolute bargain ( with 20,000 miles on it) for a skint erizo.

ran it around for a couple of years, went down to paris with the missus on it (brilliant in the city), then sold it to a bloke at work for 500 quid.

i liked mine, it never let me down, and to my knowledge is still running now

v8_trike 19-02-2008 04:35 PM

Hey erizo, you and Pyro wern't pretending to be Prince were you?? :D

*Ace* 19-02-2008 05:12 PM

Ahhh purple rain... remember it well... ! :o

erizo 20-02-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8_trike
Hey erizo, you and Pyro wern't pretending to be Prince were you?? :D

nah, too tall, too wide, wrong colour, voice too deep.

no point even trying with that lot :D

v8_trike 20-02-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erizo
nah, too tall, too wide, wrong colour, voice too deep.

no point even trying with that lot :D

Prince tribute artist it is then... :rolleyes:

wurzel 21-02-2008 09:04 AM

guy in reading mag had one a few years back as well. Big purple one with matched vetta panniers and top box, his was an african import. Looked quite like an early wing in many ways

Suzukiron 21-02-2008 08:34 PM

I like this thread...
Ive learned alot...
I knew about the 750, but thought that was it....if i remember right we got a version of it called the nighthawk, but it didnae have the complicated gearbox...

Later
Ron
(CB900F 1978..stock...rev like a bastard n wheyhey...........)
:D :rolleyes: ;)

BigBod 22-02-2008 08:18 AM

I had a US import 650 Nighthawk, and it did look very similar to the CB900c and CB1000C, hugely underpowered though but ideal for my Mrs who passed her test on it.

trikerdrew 22-02-2008 11:07 AM

weird box scared me off

Hi,

Went to look at a cb9 with ten gears that had been front ended.12,000 miles and 500 seemed a joke so I walked away.

Seems like I missed out now,doh!

drew