100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ok then, How to start a club. (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27418)

Urban Terrorist 28-03-2007 04:00 PM

Ok then, How to start a club.

Let's do this shall we, to end all these posts about clubs:

You got a group of mates, decided to start a club. How do they go about it? before anything, Look around and see what clubs are about in your area. Call it market research if you like. Who are the main clubs, and who are the smaller clubs? Make contact with threse clubs, pop along and make yourselfs known. If you have a idea of name and/or patch then take them along and get opinions. Don't rush out and have them made first.

Don't ask stupid questions like how many people have been nicked before, and **** like that, keep it purely bike related. Most importantly, listern and learn. Remember, alot of small clubs don't last a year.

Anyone else want to carry on?

Bosun 28-03-2007 04:36 PM

starting a club, is this like a self propelling cudgel cool :)

Urban Terrorist 28-03-2007 04:39 PM

No mate, trying to do a serious thread for once, before all this club **** causes more internet arguements :rolleyes: :D

willie2006 28-03-2007 04:44 PM

well done UT, hopfully this will cool things down abit.

Urban Terrorist 28-03-2007 04:47 PM

There's loads more to be added, this is just a begining :D

Bosun 28-03-2007 05:22 PM

and while looking around at other clubs you may find it better to actually join one of the other clubs?
will you and your mates still be friends if you try and put an order into the friendship you have? you may certainly find it easy to join other clubs.
what sort of club do you want it to be?
a group of mates who rally
a group of mates who ride
a group of mates who want to find more like minded people

look in the magazines and internet for a rally eytc near you, and find the sort of folks in your area

Urban Terrorist 28-03-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fayji
and while looking around at other clubs you may find it better to actually join one of the other clubs?
will you and your mates still be friends if you try and put an order into the friendship you have? you may certainly find it easy to join other clubs.
what sort of club do you want it to be?
a group of mates who rally
a group of mates who ride
a group of mates who want to find more like minded people

look in the magazines and internet for a rally eytc near you, and find the sort of folks in your area

Well said :)

trikerdrew 28-03-2007 05:35 PM

weird rules etc

Me myself love the way the swedes club together for clubhouse tools and actually build bikes.

Don't like club politics.Got enough shyte of my own.People in my experience who join clubs have got there own agenda yadda ,yadda.

Hence I'm not in one I s'pose.

If it was based on above ethos all power to it.

Drew

GreatBritishRob 28-03-2007 06:09 PM

this can be stickied if you like UT?!?!
Bloody handy idea me thinks and may stop some of the misunderstanding etc.
Anyone like this to be a sticky?

Dougie 28-03-2007 06:14 PM

Go fer it.

PILRCGeff 28-03-2007 06:18 PM

Try not to think of the Hardest possible name for your club or yourselves as individuals. At best people will laugh at you. At worst they will regard it as a challenge.

Dont copy what you read or heard about the big clubs. You dont need a President, Vice president, Secretary, Treasurer etc when there are only 4 of you in total. Likewise you dont need a Sgt at Arms unless you actually need one (and by then you will be big enough to know what its all about).

Dont go trying to throw your weight around by bullying non-club bikers and 125 riders. No one will respect you for it and you might find they know someone you dont want to upset.

Dont challenge the established system. Its there, its been there for a long time and it aint going anywhere anytime soon.

Dougie 28-03-2007 06:20 PM

Enjoy yerselves,don't take it TOO seriously and have fun.

shaggy696969 28-03-2007 06:51 PM

OK the way We done it when me and a bunch of mates started our club (now Defunct)

There was a group of mates that wanted to sart a club the only rule being you had to be on the road, there was rules penned but never bought into play. We wernt trying to claim a area and we wanted the club to be a side patch, we went to see the local MCC which we knew quite well and they said we would have to answer to them if in doubt on anything or problems that arise, we wernt wearing any of that and decided to go above as we saw it, there was no at the time local MC so ;

I went to the most local Hells Angels, which is West coast in Bristol, knocked the door and got a friendly welcome, told them who I was and the club that we wanted to form, took a copy of our prototype patch over and asked if the Member in question could see any problems, the answer I got was that he couldnt see a problem but would mention it in meeting and took my details for contact , and told me go ahead they would be in touch if there was any issues , ie club colours etc. As far as us having to answer to anybody , this caused much ammusement and the reply Just us. !

So in due time the club was established patches were made and away we went, many good partys and rallys that came along too. Unfortunately things change and the club parted , most of us remaing good friends just now we dont wear a patch . so no real difference except the Cloth.

I know that in areas there are many MC's and there is a pecking order but if you cannot establish who to see, go the the club at the top, straight answers and respect is what you will get.

Back patches have to be earnt as in respect of the clubs around you , if thats the route you want to take then make sure you start off by asking the right people or be very prepared to stand up for the Patch that could cost you everything. Or best of all just join a established club, hangaround and prospect and do your time and prove your worth to the other club members.

All offered as advice in my honest oppinion, Im no expert but I have done it .

slob 28-03-2007 07:37 PM

good thread folks. All of the above.

If you don't know the rules or politics, don't make them up. Certainly don't invent reasons why the existing rules/politics don't apply to you and your friends. Ask people who do know as Shaggy says.

pyro 28-03-2007 07:43 PM

Excellent idea UT, you are now officialy the 'vice prez in charge of club stuff' :D

I'd defo sticky this GBR.

STEViE 28-03-2007 07:47 PM

Likin' the idea of this thread, dunno if it'll stop the 'Why can't we wear a backpatch too' questions as the folks that write them must've heard the answer a good few times by now, but they don't seem take it in. Rob, reckon it should be stickied, it'll save trawling thru the forum if folks want to add to it.

Well done UT. An' shaggy, that was a rather good piece.

Urban Terrorist 28-03-2007 08:04 PM

Well stickie it, then once we have a decent load of info, we'll (or i'll :rolleyes: :D ) put it all together in a decent post to cover everything. :)

pagan_flame 28-03-2007 08:16 PM

Joining another club; I'm absolutely with Taff when he says 'If you have to change who / what you are to join a club, the club is not for you'. So this is how you end up starting your own...

Also, think on how easy / difficult you want it to be for new members to join.

I have been in clubs where all you had to do was turn up to 4 club meetings and you were in... and another where a full year prospect was required.

Generally if it is the former, you end up with a core membership who do all the work and a large group of people who are just in it for the patch. You'll know the second group, as they are the ones who rarely show up if there is any work to be done but moan loud and long at the slightest provocation. :rolleyes:

The latter club, with a 'prospect' period, will be a group of true 'brothers', as if you have spent time regularly with anybody for a whole year you get to know them pretty well - by the end of the year both sides will know if full membership is the right thing.

For a BC / RC / social MCC, a good halfway measure that worked was that the initial 'getting to know' period for a new member should also include at least one weekend rally - I have known some people who are as nice as can be when sipping soft drinks on club night and then turn into the nasty 8rsehole from hell as soon as they get half a shandy inside them.

And when they do kick off at a rally, the host club will be looking for someone with the club patch on for an explanation...

willie2006 28-03-2007 08:36 PM

this should become a sticky, some good comments already. put all this stuff together and more thats sure to follow, and even dumb & dumber would become educated.

Skooshbag 28-03-2007 09:09 PM

this from someone who has no intention of wearing a patch (always been a loner, always will be a loner) mebbe someone could explain the meaning behind patches, e.g: front, side, back and size

Captain Smurf 28-03-2007 09:12 PM

Some very good advice here. We expect people to party with us for a year before full membership, and to maintain that commitment afterwards. We remain a small club, so everyone knows everyone and no one can hide when it comes to doing some work. We have no officers, no regular meeting place (only meet at rallies or parties).

There are so many wasys to run a club, well, not so much run, as muddle along (in our case)

Oopps - meant to say this thread is full of treacley goodness so must be sticky :)

GreatBritishRob 28-03-2007 09:38 PM

Ok, im back from the pub and this thread is a sticky. Keep it tidy everyone cause im sure everyone well have different ideas etc etc.
Cheers all :D

cherryB 28-03-2007 10:26 PM

Have you noticed that is only you men who bring this subject up? Us girlies are just happy riding our bikes and having a good time. Must be the alpha male thingy :p

Mitch 28-03-2007 10:37 PM

Take Kent for example...

two years ago there were over 30 clubs, with more wanting to start up all the time. Why couldn't people just join an existing club?

pagan_flame 29-03-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skooshbag
this from someone who has no intention of wearing a patch (always been a loner, always will be a loner) mebbe someone could explain the meaning behind patches, e.g: front, side, back and size

The Industry Standard Dissertation on this subject comes from the legendary Womble ---> HERE

Skooshbag 29-03-2007 03:53 PM

good man. just thought I'd bring it up as peeps relativley new to bikes and the associated lifestyle, like myself (although as I said, I have no intention of wearing a patch), would know the significance of patches and their locations

Simon B 29-03-2007 04:03 PM

Think its best just to join a local club, there's plenty too choose from.
But have seen on a few occasions people start clubs for them and their mates as they cant either get into another club or cant be bothered to put the effort in to becoming a member.
I know this isnt always the case, but it doea happen.

If you've made your mind up and want to start your own, its best to remember that people dont usually bite yer head off for asking honest question's but its best not to ask when there's a big group from one club on a nite out and you just bowl up and start asking daft stuff

xjtriker666 29-03-2007 04:14 PM

The intent of this section is to give you an overview of the structure and philosophy of the traditional motorcycle club (MC). This does not necessarily express the feelings or priorities of any particular club, as all motorcycle clubs differ on some points. Regardless of the basic philosophy of this group, it is important that you understand the perspectives of other clubs that you may be associating with from time to time.

If motorcycles influence your lifestyle, then you are part of the motorcycle community. Of all the types of organizations found within that community, the traditional motorcycle club stands apart and ranks highest in stature.

Respect

A serious MC club commands respect for one reason. Those who are correctly informed recognize the deep level of personal commitment and self discipline that a man has to demonstrate and sustain in order to wear a patch. They realize that a club's "Colors" are closely guarded and the membership process is long and difficult. Other factors notwithstanding, they respect Patchholders for what they have accomplished by being able to earn and keep the patch they wear. This is respect born out of recognition of dedication and accomplishment. The MC Club strives for respect for this reason. This is especially true as it pertains to those persons outside of the motorcycle community. This segment of society is by far the larger, and therefore represents a larger market for any fund raising activities that the group might undertake. It stands to reason that cultivating a relationship with these people is important, and to be perceived by them as "Biker Scum" would not be advantageous to the group. They will therefore conduct themselves as upstanding citizens in every way... "Good neighbors" so to speak. The goal is to be admired and respected by the general public rather than feared. The serious club, and all of its members and guests, will always conduct themselves publicly in a highly professional manner.

Club Colors

The general public does not draw a distinction between different club colors. In many cases, they simply can't tell the difference: we're all "Biker Scum" to them. If one club causes a problem that touches the public sector, the offending club's identity is either confused or ignored and the heat comes down on all clubs. The general public does not make the distinction between a MC and an RC (Riding Club), therefore EVERYONE needs to be aware that no matter whether they are in an MC and RC or an Independent rider, their actions reflect on all in the motorcycle community. The MC clubs tend to police themselves to avoid such incidents.

Participation

A Patchholder will not discuss any club business whether it's about membership numbers, club goings on, or any member's personal information with anyone outside of the club. They understand that they are a Patchholder 24 hours a day whether or not they are wearing their colors. Everything they say or do in public can affect the club. They also understand that if they get out of line, that they are subject to be counseled for their own good and for that of the club. Wearing a patch is more than getting together for good times. It also means getting together for the other times, too. It constitutes a lot of work. It's committing themselves to a lifestyle in which they do not look for how their brothers or sisters can help them, but for ways that they can be of help to their brothers and sisters. They always look to give rather than to receive. All of this may seem very idealistic, and in some cases it's just that. But it is an ideal that all clubs profess and are always striving for in principle and practice.

Always be aware of the "Golden Rule" of conduct while traveling in club circles: If you give respect, you'll get respect. If you act with disrespect, then you'll be treated with the same.

Levels of Commitment

When someone earns their patch, it does not mean that he or she has reached the ultimate goal and from that point they can kick back and coast. Moving from guest to probation to Patchholder is not climbing from the bottom to the top, but rather more like climbing a constantly ascending slope, and in time becoming a stronger and more committed brother or sister. A person's probationary rocker and later their patch are merely presented in recognition of what they have demonstrated along the way. In this fashion, the more senior the Patchholder is in the club and the more they experience, the more of a brother or sister they should be to all.

Purpose of Probation / Prospecting

Probation is not an initiation, as you would find in a fraternity. It is instead a period of time that is sustained until the person, in every sense, conducts themselves with the respect that is mandated to be a Patchholder. It's a time in which:

The attitude is conditioned so that he/she displays a sense of responsibility and respect toward the patch holders of the club, without which they will not develop a sense of respect for the group.

He/she is educated in basic MC protocol and etiquette.

He/she is given time to develop the habits that are basic to good security and good communications.

To get into the habit of participating.

To become accustomed to trusting the judgment, at times blindly, of those patch holders who will someday be his or her brothers and sisters.

The list could go on but the point here is to demonstrate that probationary period has definite objectives and that a person will go nowhere in the club if he/she is not aware of this and does not apply themselves to those ends. It's not possible to make a checklist of what is expected from a person in all cases. There isn't any formula for success, but the key is ATTITUDE AND RESPECT. Everything else can be learned in time, but a person's attitude comes from the heart.

Jus1 29-03-2007 04:24 PM

Joining a established local club is sage advice.

Read Post by "xjtriker666" above .... V good post mate. Nailed it.

Juke 29-03-2007 09:25 PM

save my seat, I am just gonna get a refill of popcorn........... :p