100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Get out of trouble tools (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21968)

Freak 08-08-2006 11:51 AM

Get out of trouble tools

What tools do you carry
Have you any tips or useful suggestions for particular bikes

devon-tony 08-08-2006 11:53 AM

for my bikes only one tool needed

RAC card

slob 08-08-2006 11:59 AM

just carry the pikey manufacturers kit...and rac card :D

Kylie 08-08-2006 12:01 PM

Carole Nash breakdown cover, a pair of tits and a smile :D

"oh look i seem to be having a problem with my motorcycle and I'm just a girlie, I couldn't possibly put that bolt back in, I might break a nail" :D

Of course I'd never *actually* do it...

Big Pete 08-08-2006 12:04 PM

I carry a Leatherman, a 6" adjustable and an L shaped widget with a 1/4" hex socket in each end that takes screwdrive bits and has an adaptor to take 1/4" drive sockets. There are 8,10,12,13,14 mm sockets to go with the widget plus a 5 and 6 mm allen bit, plus a plug wrench. I also carry a few fuses, a roll of 'leccy tape, a short length of wire and a few nuts and bolts. All the above lives in my jacket all the time. My tankbag has a set of lightwieght jump leads with small clips that I made up specifically for bike use. Mostly, if I cant fix it with that that gear, it isnt going to get fixed on the side of the road.

On a shakedown run after a rebuild I carry a few more bits around, bigger adjustable usually, and some tools specific to what ever has recently been modified.

BTW, on 400/500/550 four SOHC Hondas, you need the proper plug wrench because a normal one is damn near impossible to get into the plug recesses.

weesis 08-08-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kylie
a pair of tits and a smile :D

pmsl.... works for me 2 doll!!! though I am learning 2 fix it masel!!

Kylie 08-08-2006 12:52 PM

I do actually normally have a leatherman style tool... comes in rather handy when you discover your bar end is making a bid for freedom once again!!!

I can fix most things myself now, but the main problem is that without a full set of allan keys and much time and effort you can't get too anything as it's a fully faired bike....

Spike 08-08-2006 12:54 PM

leatherman Crunch,mini maglight, small adjustable spanner, emergency cable repair kit (bout 7) bulbs, wire, fuses, small hand pump for tyres, length of plastic pipe (syphon tube) need to add screwdrivers (one of each) roll of lekky tape and 9v battery and emergency charger for mobile phone !!

works for me :)

bill? 08-08-2006 01:01 PM

AA card and a mobile phone works for me :D

but when out on the chop I've usually got a couple of spanners to tighten up things that have vibrated loose. :eek:

Dougie 08-08-2006 02:58 PM

Plug spanner with spare plugs,6" adjustable,Allen keys,cable repair kit (very handy!)self-amalgamating rubber tape,leccy tape,screwdriver with 4 bits,spark plug brush,always have a multitool (leatherman type thing) on my belt.

The Beer Monsters 08-08-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

...without a full set of allan keys....

Go to a music shop and look at a Guit-tool...

Bosun 08-08-2006 07:23 PM

I have a toolset i brought in from the states, a large adjustable, and lots of cableties ( but all sit unused ( goes off to touch wood)

never really needed much since my horrid bonnie days

GreatBritishRob 08-08-2006 07:42 PM

Carry a headtorch. You can have all the tools in the world but if you cant see bugger all theres no point.
Tell ya another place to check for what tools are handy. Buy an Enduro magazine or the likes (TBM has a website). Theyve worked stuff out cause you need tools for sure on the big enduros.

Simon B 08-08-2006 07:48 PM

Standard tool kit + allen keys, and a leatherman. If its a long run pack my small ratchet set with sockets up to 16mm and if all else fails get the AA out

Does make me larf all the people that just rely on the recovery cause you dont half look a twat if its just a nut and bolt need tightening

krammer 08-08-2006 07:49 PM

tool's freak? :D now why would you need tool's? :p

Freak 08-08-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krammer
tool's freak? :D now why would you need tool's? :p

Because bad language doesn't always work :p

Taff 08-08-2006 09:47 PM

Good thread, good shout.
I carry fkin loads, all the time.
Got me tool roll (the tardis) on the front, and a little tiny bag hanging offa the swinging arm fulla stuff especially for electrical problems.
I generally ride with similar bikes to my own, and we wont leave anybody alone waiting for the AA, so its fkin great if 20 of you pull in, a couple fiddle about, and the guy who thought he was on the next ferry home can jump back on and carry on.
Occasionally if i have a mishap which can wait till i get home, i'll fix it from my tool roll.
If i can't, i put whats missing in, so i can next time if it happens to someone else.
Wouldn't be without me 1/4" drive socket set, mini mole grips, circlip pliers, and a thing what you attach to earth then poke wires with to trace broken wires.

PS- Kylie, break down in Yorkshire much do ya.....?

:eek: :D :D

churchill 08-08-2006 10:53 PM

whats a break down ???????

..gold wings may cease to function ..but break down ...never!!!!!!!!

wheres me piece of wood ..quick.!!!!!!!!!1

John Hopkins 08-08-2006 11:51 PM

Toolkit

Nothing, can't remember the last time I broke down!

Not that I never break down...Ive just got a bad memory! :D John

tease 09-08-2006 06:20 AM

Like Taff, I carry loads, a multi tool for easy fixes, leccy gear, a range of 1/4" sockets and a 4 n 5 mil allen key. But things get added all the time and as I ride with the same group alot we tend to have damn near a complete tool shed between us so when any of us break down for any reason we have what we need to get that one going again.

Latest addition? A set of jump leads after a recharge failure on our way up to sand dancer, problems sorted, but keep em with me now :D

minxy 09-08-2006 08:26 AM

Suzuki GS/X/Rs - gaffer tape/electrical tape (dodgy electrics, bodywork, mirrors falling off) fuses (plenty, dodgy electrics, main in line fuse holder), flat blade screwdriver and a 10/12mm spanner.

At the moment, I've got all the above stashed by the battery on the slabby including a spare throttle cable.

Taff 09-08-2006 08:51 AM

Charging problems are very common on HDs.
I've usually found it to be a user fault, ie trapped wire earthing out (they're very long and very hidden) or a loose alternator plug.
Does become a bind though swapping batteries thinking that's at fault, then finally realising its the rectifier thats at the root.
So i've fitted an ammeter in me side panel.
Flick th little switch at the side of it to check me own.
Lift the seat, unplug it, and swap it for the test wires and prods which live under the seat, takes seconds, and i can test anybody elses which is suspect.
Saves some fucking about on the road.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2043/ampbz3.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1913/amp002fs8.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/34/amp003ma6.jpg

Simon B 09-08-2006 09:25 AM

Thats a bloody good idea, think Ill try that meself.

This is one of the best threads Ive read on here

Kylie 09-08-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon B
Does make me larf all the people that just rely on the recovery cause you dont half look a twat if its just a nut and bolt need tightening

I am not really sure where you'd like to stick a decent set of tools on my bike.... There's only just enough space for my emergency pack of chocolate buttons!!!

And whats one of these "standard sets of tools"?

Bassman 09-08-2006 10:13 AM

Damn good idea that Taff... looks like we will be seeing that on a few bikes soon...including mine if i can figure out how to get the fecking chrome cover off that they have stuck on the battery box!! :mad:

Simon B 09-08-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

I am not really sure where you'd like to stick a decent set of tools on my bike.... There's only just enough space for my emergency pack of chocolate buttons!!!

And whats one of these "standard sets of tools"?

Blimey dont they even give you a tool kit on puch maxi's anymore

Kylie 09-08-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon B
Blimey dont they even give you a tool kit on puch maxi's anymore

A er... what?

There may have been a tool kit with my bike when it was new.... but its long gone! Most of the fairing bolts are different sizes, mostly blatantly not originals... Perhaps one day I will buy some and make them all the same size.. that would make a tool kit slightly easier...

hermann 09-08-2006 12:07 PM

Can someone suggest somewhere that I can get the automotive multi-connectors (preferably the 6 wire ones) that Taff has used for his wiring, cos I'm having a bitch of a job at the mo finding some.

Big Pete 09-08-2006 12:08 PM

vehicle wiring products or electrex, google them for the sites, both do mail order.

hermann 09-08-2006 12:10 PM

We've just invested in a cheap but full tool kit for the car (just from machine mart) so that when we see someone broken down on a bike and we're in the cage we can offer some more constructive help than (I can lend you my mobile or give you a lift to the petrol station) Cheers Big Pete.