100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Trike rolling chassis (s) (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21481)

Yoda 19-07-2006 03:12 PM

Trike rolling chassis (s)

just a bit of an idea, a friends is thinking about producing trike rolling chassis(S plural) as a going concern, he owns a fabricating company the rear ends will be similar to those that are used in Cobra chassis - a fully proven design and have been proven in trikes as well, and have suspension as well
he already supplies these, that can be fitted to any bike to convert it

anyway - the question is aimed at people like myself who do not have the a ability or know how to build a safe frame, if you wanted a trike would you consider purchasing a full rolling chassis, for you to finish off?

Yoda

rob 19-07-2006 03:51 PM

if i couldn't do it myself, thats the way i'd go, but i can! :D
however, if i suddenly get snowed under with trike orders ( :D :D ) i might be interested........

Yoda 19-07-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob
if i couldn't do it myself, thats the way i'd go, but i can! :D
however, if i suddenly get snowed under with trike orders ( :D :D ) i might be interested........

see i reckon most people could finish a trike off (even farming out all the work)
I have learned loads from my current build
Yoda

bill? 19-07-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda
the rear ends will be similar to those that are used in Cobra chassis

Yoda

I likes what I see when it comes to trikes, but I aint got a clue really. Does these proposed chassis use a front or rear mounted engine.:confused:

Shifty 19-07-2006 08:52 PM

Wouldn't know where to start building a frame for a bike or trike. Wouldn't buy a pre-made rolling chassis for a bike but if I wanted a trike (which I don't particularly) then if I liked the look of the chassis I would buy it and do the rest myself.

Yoda 19-07-2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill?
I likes what I see when it comes to trikes, but I aint got a clue really. Does these proposed chassis use a front or rear mounted engine.:confused:

they are designed for bike engines

devon-tony 19-07-2006 09:32 PM

as with most things it would depend on the pricing

sadly I have the abilty but not the space or the time, I have been wanting to build a bike trike with IRS rear end, bench seat etc etc, but just havent got the time and room to get all the frame and rear end sorted etc, hoever you need less space to just mod/finish a frame, so I might be interested, even in maybe just the back end assembly, as to be honest its the making all the wishbones that is my stumbling block

Friar Tuck 20-07-2006 06:38 AM

Hmm! Good question!

A sort of "Kit Trike" as opposed to a "Kit Bike"?

I really struggling to come to terms with this "Kit Bike" Philosophy".

Bugger! Start a new thread methinks!

The asnwer to your question, Yoda! Would probably be "Yes". Providing the price was right, and not a "custom catalogue" prices!

The pricing should be more competitive as he would be going into small batch production engineering. The down side is that he may be holding two or three rolling chassis in stock thereby tying up useful capital. however, if he goes down the "make to order route" he will be no better off than a one-off build chopshop. i.e higher prices due to one off productions, even if the design is for identical frames.

The set-up time/cost would be the same for one frame as t would be for making 5 or 6. Lets say it takes two hours to set a jig up and costs 100to build a one off frame. you divide that by building 5 frames (easy maths!) that means each frame will now cost 20 (these are only theoretical figures to demonstrate a point, before anyone starts lambasting me about costs etc!)

The trouble with Custom Catologues they charge 'one off' prices for limited batch production runs. and that sucks! And more fools us the punter pays for it!

I hope your mate makes a success of it.

Yoda 20-07-2006 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
Hmm! Good question!

A sort of "Kit Trike" as opposed to a "Kit Bike"?

I really struggling to come to terms with this "Kit Bike" Philosophy".

Bugger! Start a new thread methinks!

The asnwer to your question, Yoda! Would probably be "Yes". Providing the price was right, and not a "custom catalogue" prices!

I hope your mate makes a success of it.

the price would be competetive (personally i dont think he charges enough, compared to some trike back ends i have seen) - and because the back end is similar to that used in cobras you could attache any type of frame to it, so it wouldnt actually cost much more to have a frame made to your spec mated to it

xjtriker666 21-07-2006 07:51 AM

my trike back-end cost 500 plus 165 fer shox,,kit-car,,fukk paying 3-500 fer trikeshop,,,

Yoda 21-07-2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjtriker666
my trike back-end cost 500 plus 165 fer shox,,kit-car,,fukk paying 3-500 fer trikeshop,,,

funny enough we had that very same discussion LOL

Yoda

xjtriker666 21-07-2006 03:57 PM

was goin to use luego back-end BUT all ya get is wish bones,cradle fer diff ,hub carriers,1400 quids,buy ya own diff,drive shafts,with the one i bought everything was included,