100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Advice About Reliant Axle Ratios (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18301)

happybiker 11-04-2006 03:13 PM

Advice About Reliant Axle Ratios

Information available elsewhere. Seek and ye shall find

glyn 17-04-2006 03:07 PM

Hiya Happy biker,I'v got a realto axle going on my wifes trike and the ratios have thrown me a bit whats the recommended wheel size for these i'v been looking for 14" and 15" wheels and getting into a lot of confusion over what fits.I tried a set of steel astra rims the other day and they dont appear to fit even though their compatable to novas.i'v also been told that some volkswagen and m series bmw also work.do i need mini wheel nuts alone or do i need studs to as well to centralise the wheels,Me and a mate also need to know whats the best to use for a rear brake cylinder that will give us proper feel to the brakes,i wont be riding it my missus will be and she's not experianced so i need to get it right.I also need to know about allowing movement on the prop when i match the reliant to the shadow prop,the shadow prop has a spline which enters the uj behind the gearbox i'm guessing i set it all the way in when the swingarm is level and hope it doesn't pop out when the swingarm travel reachs its extremities both upwards and down thanks.
Glyn

Big Daz 21-04-2006 10:23 AM

Astra, Nova and Cavalier wheels should fit on reliant axles. we've put a set of 14" cav's on my wifes trike and they seem fine. Early 3 series bmw rims will also fit. my mates wifes trike has a set of 15" alloys on it. problem with reliant axles seems to be good bottom end but peter out about 70/75 mph.
As for master cylinder I'd recommend something like the original reliant part or a vw unit. on my first reliant we put a big sports bike rear brake cylinder on and ran it thru a remote servo from a mini. if you want more feel from itthen all i can suggest is to lengthen the brake pedal so you get more travel.

BikerGran 04-05-2006 09:22 PM

My GT550 trike has a Reliant axle (dunno which) - liker you say, 70-75, maybe wind it up to 80 on a dual carriageway - but she goes like stink in the lower gears so thats fine by me! Mine uses the original reliant master cylinder & drum brakes, operated by the original bike lever and rod, excellent braking, can lock up the rear easy if I get over-enthusiastic with the right foot!

glyn 18-08-2006 05:39 PM

A big belated thanks to you all.
Glyn

devon-tony 29-10-2006 06:35 PM

both my current axles are different, ones stamped with B on the diff, the other with A

which one would people recomend for use on bike trike with 17" car wheels??

Bozza 01-11-2006 06:47 PM

Axles

The A on the diff means it is from a Rialto - same as mine! 3.23 to 1 ratio.
Regards,
Bozza

Bozza 01-11-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyn
Hiya Happy biker,I'v got a realto axle going on my wifes trike and the ratios have thrown me a bit whats the recommended wheel size for these i'v been looking for 14" and 15" wheels and getting into a lot of confusion over what fits.I tried a set of steel astra rims the other day and they dont appear to fit even though their compatable to novas.i'v also been told that some volkswagen and m series bmw also work.do i need mini wheel nuts alone or do i need studs to as well to centralise the wheels,Me and a mate also need to know whats the best to use for a rear brake cylinder that will give us proper feel to the brakes,i wont be riding it my missus will be and she's not experianced so i need to get it right.I also need to know about allowing movement on the prop when i match the reliant to the shadow prop,the shadow prop has a spline which enters the uj behind the gearbox i'm guessing i set it all the way in when the swingarm is level and hope it doesn't pop out when the swingarm travel reachs its extremities both upwards and down thanks.
Glyn

I'm running the Realto axle (3.23 to 1. A stamped on the diff)
17 inch Wolfrace Toxins. PCD 100mm as long as you get the conical unf wheelnuts to suit - not the short standard ones.
Dont forget to turn the brake shoes when you turn the axle upside down so you get a leading edge - otherwise you will never stop the thing, believe me I know!!! Brand new 3/4 inch bore Girling master cylinder is 17.00
If you need pics of mine let me know.
Regards,
Bozza

devon-tony 13-12-2007 08:57 PM

couple of questions

whers best to get that master cyliner??

tried demon ripoffs and nowt for less that 40

oh and for the record the part number in the listing above for the wheel cylinder apparantly relates to the front wheel cylinder??

and Im well pleased as I now realised that I got the B version so higher geared and gonna cruise a bit better on my tike as I hate them revving theor tits off

as a rough guide for people, I quoted 10.51 for the brake shoes, and 5.37 for the slaves, this is retail, and theres about anohter 10-15% to come off this trade/mates rate :)

budge 10-11-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

and Im well pleased as I now realised that I got the B version so higher geared and gonna cruise a bit better on my tike as I hate them revving theor tits off
could you tell me the ratio of this diff please

thanks budge

gas axe 31-10-2009 07:21 PM

ratio

a mate of mine built a taste trike out of a ZL900 and ran a 750 robin axle with 13 inch wheels and 70 profile tyres. it was fast on pick up and sat at 80mph from birmingham to Cornwall