100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Down The Pub (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Drink Driving (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13295)

Captain Smurf 01-12-2005 10:19 PM

Drink Driving

Boggles the Mind :mad:

"A mother has condemned a sheriff for not jailing the drink driver who knocked down and seriously injured her five-year-old son. Michael Feeley, 33, was three times over the limit when his car mounted the pavement and hit Allan Hill in Paisley."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4488674.stm

Sir Ewok 01-12-2005 10:28 PM

Good job it wasn't a nasty biker riding around with a small number plate or he would have got jail time. Courts are too soft on pissed up motorists and dangerous drivers who kill and injure peeps...... :mad:

InSanCen 02-12-2005 07:39 AM

Like a lot of the decisions handed down, wrong...

you drink, you drive, you deserve to be big bubba's bitch in a 6x6, at a minimum.

tease 02-12-2005 08:08 AM

There are some laws in the states that would do well here, this being one of them.

DUI, if cought it is a stiff penalty, BUT in some states, if you injure someone while doing it, it is automatically considered assault with a deadly weapon, OR in other states "vehicular assualt" It is an added charge and an additional sentence.

Borg 02-12-2005 08:13 AM

Isn't the ban over there only 3 months or something though ? Does it affect the insurance like here as well

tease 02-12-2005 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg
Isn't the ban over there only 3 months or something though ? Does it affect the insurance like here as well

That depends on the state, some are a year, a BIG fine and up to 3 months jail time. Yes, insurance skyrockets too.
Above and beyond that, the states who have written it into law, can charge vehicular assault, or vehicular manslaughter which carries the same punishment as second degree assault or murder.

Borg 02-12-2005 09:07 AM

Sounds fair to me.

I think the limit for drink while driving should be zero.

Then there's none of that 'I'll have 2 pints that's the limit' bollox. We all know 2 pints can be very different affects depending on what it is and other factors If you're not allowed any drink then you know exactly where you are

Captain Smurf 02-12-2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg
Sounds fair to me.

I think the limit for drink while driving should be zero.

Then there's none of that 'I'll have 2 pints that's the limit' bollox. We all know 2 pints can be very different affects depending on what it is and other factors If you're not allowed any drink then you know exactly where you are

No more rallies then.

I doubt any of us could get our blood alcohol to zero anyway - and you'd probably need a week or more after a night out to completely flush the system, so you'd need a job where you can party at the weekend, then do nothing for a week or more - then go to another party.................

Hey - I've got that job ;)

I'm alright jack - hoist that gangplank and let's go :p

Sheltie 02-12-2005 10:28 AM

Up here(in Shetland) the Sherrif takes a very dim view of drink driving first offence is a 1-2year ban with a fine of approximately 1500. Although he has recently fined one person 7000.

Second offence is four months inside a 2 year ban although he has gone as far as 4 yr ban. And again a higher fine.

Third time(not many of these) 4 yrs inside and a ban of approximately 5 to 10 years.

Crofty 02-12-2005 11:13 AM

I think the best way to stop a drunk driver is with a big fucken' tank. :D

Tourettes 02-12-2005 12:42 PM

Makes no differance what the court sentence him to.....if he did that to my son he wouldn't be walking around for a long while :cool:

Biker Buster 09-03-2017 08:30 AM

The courts are way too soft on most crimes these days, that guy should lose his license for life, after his custodial sentence.

They are whining about too many cars on the road and too many lousy drivers and yet miss a golden opportunity to reduce this number by one and make the roads that bit safer.

I would love to see someone pursue a case against a judge for stress induced by a flimsy penalty.