100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Toy (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51898)

InSanCen 15-07-2018 03:52 PM

New Toy

I have a new (to me) toy. '96 VFR750
https://i.imgur.com/ZwSei5ol.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zVp9FnNl.jpg

Also included was a parts bike (left). 125 cruiser is probably going soon enough (Right)
https://i.imgur.com/EDx6Q1Kl.jpg

Needs one very minor leak fixing, and I'll hopefully MOT it on friday. Moon mileage, but I know it's been well looked after, and it's a VFR, so I'm not worried about it.

Friar Tuck 16-07-2018 05:18 AM

Looks a good deal, lucky sod!

InSanCen 17-07-2018 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 669329)
Looks a good deal, lucky sod!

It was an absolute steal. He needed the space, and I needed a bike, I offered what I had.

Friar Tuck 17-07-2018 05:31 AM

Why don't opportunities like that happen to me?

InSanCen 17-07-2018 05:40 PM

Well, there's a downside - reg/rec is fucked, typical Honda.

We'll replace it with something decent. Might whack a MOSFET jobbie in there, cost dependant. Bodged it with a SH640D from the 125 for now.

Den 19-07-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InSanCen (Post 669349)
Well, there's a downside - reg/rec is fucked, typical Honda.

We'll replace it with something decent. Might whack a MOSFET jobbie in there, cost dependant. Bodged it with a SH640D from the 125 for now.

Even more VFR. Ive had mine just over a year and was my first job when i got it. The original ones dont have cooling fins and heat is supposed to dissipate through the frame. Unfortunately because of the rear cylinders the frame gets very hot in that area. Get one with fins. Other vifer owners have re sited them further forward and in the airstream or added a small fan from a computer or as in my case run a piece of hose to carry some cooling air from the front of the bike.

InSanCen 20-07-2018 10:58 AM

I'll be chucking a SH640D on. Simple 5 wire. I'll just terminate it in 5 separate 30A spades, rather than an under-specified block. That way, any 5 wire reg/rec of sufficient amperage capability will do.

InSanCen 20-07-2018 08:45 PM

All MOT'd and legal now. No advisories.

Friar Tuck 21-07-2018 04:53 AM

lucky sod!.....

InSanCen 21-07-2018 08:15 PM

Well, too good to be true.

Oil cooler feed pipe was leaky, so I figured I'd take the one off the parts bike. Apart from being an utter cunt to get off, some cunt has snapped off one of the bolts, and glued the head back onto it.

It seems to hold well enough with one bolt, no leakage as of yet, but I really need to play with the stud extractor.

Friar Tuck 22-07-2018 04:24 AM

Hmm, good luck with that!

InSanCen 22-07-2018 05:29 AM

We'll try a left-handed drill bit first. I'll plus-gas it to death for a week. Should be fine.

InSanCen 24-07-2018 05:16 AM

We took her out for a spin a the weekend, and all seemed good. Will take some getting used to.

Friar Tuck 25-07-2018 06:24 AM

Still arguing with the missus about putting mine back on the road. Doesn't help trying to sell the house at the same time!....

InSanCen 25-07-2018 04:53 PM

It's nice to be able to just fuck off into the distance when some knuckle dragging fucktard in a chavved up 1.1 Corsa that thinks he's Schumacher decided to sit 6 inches off your back tyre. :D

InSanCen 28-07-2018 06:34 PM

I put about 350 miles on her today, nice bimble around pretty much all of north wales.

HOS 28-07-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InSanCen (Post 669467)
I put about 350 miles on her today, nice bimble around pretty much all of north wales.

One of then nicest places for a ride out.
Good on you!

InSanCen 29-07-2018 07:24 PM

I'll probably head up to the Lakes once I'm happy I have a reg/rec in that's putting out enough to use the lights with. I have time off that should land after I've fitted and tested them.

InSanCen 03-08-2018 09:05 PM

aaand another snapped stud discovered.

Stud extractor/Easy out and proper drilling kit come into play tomorrow.

I wish cack handed gorilla's would leave bikes the fuck alone.

Friar Tuck 04-08-2018 05:48 AM

So cack handed gorillas like you can have their turn in sodding them up? :p :D

InSanCen 04-08-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 669528)
So cack handed gorillas like you can have their turn in sodding them up? :p :D

I know when to stop turning a stubborn bolt, evidently, a previous owner didn't.

I'll attack it next weekend, as Her Ladyship is already most unhappy at the time spent on it today. 125 it is this week.

HOS 04-08-2018 09:21 PM

Some people should have their tools taken away with the crimes they've committed on bikes.
Ive got a neighbour who is a mechanic and he reckons he repairs and keeps running an entire county fleet of delivery vans. He was always doing work on the side on his drive at home. So I used to pay him to do bits and pieces on my car, he didn't charge much.
But one day I asked him if he could fit a pair of new rear shocks I'd bought for the car.
Yeah no worries he said.
I went indoors and made him a mug of tea and took it out to him and he was struggling trying to undo the pinch bolt on the bottom of the one shock. It's a bit tight he said.
I said woe!!! Hang on a bit you need some heat on that or you'll shear the bolt!
I said don't move ill be back in two seconds!! as I went and fetched my blow lamp.
As I came out the house with my blow lamp the dozy fucker had ignored me and carried on trying to undo the very tight bolt and sheared it off. I was pretty pissed with him. He's a mechanic? I left him to it at that point and he took 3 1/2 hours to remove the bust bolt bit by bit. Rookie move.
I never asked him again after that.

Friar Tuck 05-08-2018 05:43 AM

I think we've all done it at one stage or other..."I'll just give it another 1/2 turn..." Bang! The rest of the afternoon scratching head trying to remove the busted bolt/stud! And iy's always in the most inaccessable spot where your knuckled get rubbed raw trying to get to it, or knock the shit out of them...

InSanCen 05-08-2018 07:24 AM

Getting at it is the issue. V4's have spaghetti headers, and the chuck on anything I have gets in the way.

I'll go look in town today, see if I can snag a cheap drill with a small (manual) chuck on it.

HOS 05-08-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InSanCen (Post 669554)
Getting at it is the issue. V4's have spaghetti headers, and the chuck on anything I have gets in the way.

I'll go look in town today, see if I can snag a cheap drill with a small (manual) chuck on it.

Maybe a Dremmel type tool? I bought a finger chuck for mine. But the body of the tool might be in the way.

Sir Ewok 05-08-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOS (Post 669541)
Some people should have their tools taken away with the crimes they've committed on bikes.
Ive got a neighbour who is a mechanic and he reckons he repairs and keeps running an entire county fleet of delivery vans. He was always doing work on the side on his drive at home. So I used to pay him to do bits and pieces on my car, he didn't charge much.
But one day I asked him if he could fit a pair of new rear shocks I'd bought for the car.
Yeah no worries he said.
I went indoors and made him a mug of tea and took it out to him and he was struggling trying to undo the pinch bolt on the bottom of the one shock. It's a bit tight he said.
I said woe!!! Hang on a bit you need some heat on that or you'll shear the bolt!
I said don't move ill be back in two seconds!! as I went and fetched my blow lamp.
As I came out the house with my blow lamp the dozy fucker had ignored me and carried on trying to undo the very tight bolt and sheared it off. I was pretty pissed with him. He's a mechanic? I left him to it at that point and he took 3 1/2 hours to remove the bust bolt bit by bit. Rookie move.
I never asked him again after that.

The problem was most likely the fact that he works on a large fleet, if he fucks a bolt or breaks something they will have the part in stock waiting to be replaced. If a stud or bolt needs to be extracted, another few hours (waiting for parts) can be hidden on the time sheet and nobody knows. Sometimes working in big businesses leads to lazy practice which is overlooked by the foreman/manager because he learnt the same way......

InSanCen 06-08-2018 09:55 PM

Slapped a load of Fireclay around it (working in a place that has a Foundry has some benefits) - It's fine until it gets wet. Should have located/figured soemthing out to sort it by the time it gets wet enough to bother it.

InSanCen 14-08-2018 04:24 PM

Looked in the mirror, saw a giant cloud of smoke and thought "Some poor bastards having a bad day" - and promptly realised it was me, doing 70* in the outside lane.

She popped the oil feed to the oil cooler off and puked all over the road. Someone bodged it with a jubilee clip, and I never noticed. Oil light came on just as I killed the ignition, no awful noises, so I think I caught her in time. Pulling in with an oil-covered rear tyre was... interesting...

Will have a look and see what's damaged when I get some time.

*honest

InSanCen 27-08-2018 02:54 PM

Honda's legendary leccy stuff strikes again. No charge, even with a new (cheap) reg/reg, or the original reg/rec.
New Stator, Reg/Rec and battery ordered. If it needs wires, I'll make them up myself.

This is a fucking expensive toy now, so thought fuck it, and got a paddock stand so I can start stripping the parts bike and flogging what's not needed.

Friar Tuck 28-08-2018 05:18 AM

If it's starting to cost money, just get it up and running and flog it.