100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car Tyres on to bike rims (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46544)

captaincondom 16-01-2012 08:25 PM

Car Tyres on to bike rims

Hi all I have just bougt x plate gold wing and I fitting a side car to it . I am after putting a car tyre on the rear .i think it's a 16" I remember reading that you can't just put a car tyre on a bike rim with out problems . Any body got any suggestions on how I can do it thanks

matthewmosse 16-01-2012 10:23 PM

Oppionions vary - can of worms. definately not for one size (I think thats 15 inch but not 100% sure of that) If it's a spoked wheel the safest option is to get a proper car rim laced on there with new spokes. Likewise a car wheel on an adapter if needed is safest for replacing an alloy. Many have fitted car tyres to bike rims but it's a risk as car rims are desighned to do a different job to bike rims and profiles will differ. On my outfit I use Avon sm mk11 rear tyres and Avon sidecar tripple duty's on the front. wear / cost is acceptable, grip and handling very good and you'd need to be doing well over 10k a year for a few years to justify the costs of doing a car rim conversion in my oppionion. That holds true for my 1000cc bmw twin plugged + leading links outfit and my 500/4 which is ostensibly a stock bike with preload spacer in forks.

harry 16-01-2012 11:00 PM

http://www.100-biker.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46447

Have a look at this thread, if the link works.

rob seems to know how it's done.

John Hopkins 17-01-2012 12:14 AM

Americans do it all the time..I think they call it darksiding..

John.

onebaddaddy 17-01-2012 06:47 AM

Yup it's the 'darkside' as John said.
I've got two 16" taxi 6plys for the twinned rear on my zeph project, had a trial fit before the rims went to powder coaters, tight fit but had no major issues, just the usual "do you know wtf you're doing" from the tyre fitters.
As far as I've seen on the darksider sites, car tyres are ok due to weight they're intended to carry,and forces exerted during hard cornering..there's a bunch of YouTube vids of car tyres in action on bikes.
But like has been said its a can of worms...
My zeph ain't designed to be chucked about in the twisty stuff, n should be fine for abit of cruising.
I've rode darksiders in Cali, n they were great, but it does take a few miles under your belt before you get the feel for it,especially if you're going for something wide.

captaincondom 17-01-2012 08:28 AM

Thanks people I will look into it I might even join a wing forum to see if I can pick any tips up .

BigBod 17-01-2012 01:41 PM

Goldwing club forum on this page...loads of peeps on there with lots of knowledge.

http://www.gwocgb.org/goldwing/

So if yours is an X plate, must be an 1100? so not spoked wheel. Seen a few GL1200 outfits with taxi tyres on but not on an 1100. Think it may rub on the swingarm. In the depths of my mind a 2CV tyre rings a bell for fitting an 1100 wheel. Not 100% sure but worth a check on the sizes.

ratwing 17-01-2012 04:33 PM

Unit Sidecars did the back wheel on my GL1100 outfit, its a 2CV rim with the middle removed and tube 'spokes' onto a fabricated centre with the Comstar hub inside, don't know if they still do these though?
EML used to do something similar.
Or, as I did on a CX500, unbolt the Comstar wheel from the hub and make 2 big circles of steel to bolt each side of the hub and weld each side of the well on a 2CV rim - probably the easiest way, especially with CNC, laser cutting etc nowadays instead of a hacksaw.
If you want the tyre valve on the nearside, put new pads in the brake caliper before welding because you might have clearance problems - I should have done this, then I'd have known to put the valve on the shaft side instead....
If you try this, buy a new 2CV rim - used ones are old now and you will find they're very rusty and thin where the rim & centre touch.
You can drill out the spot welds to get the centre out and weld the holes up but I didn't bother - cut the middle round the welds and leave what looks like coins on the top of the well.
125 x 15" fits in a GL1100, I couldn't get a 135 in mine.

ratwing 17-01-2012 04:37 PM

Nearly forgot, don't use the standard Michelin 2CV tyre - too tall and a very very soft sidewall so handling will be really, really bad :eek::eek::eek:

captaincondom 17-01-2012 04:51 PM

Ratwing which tyre is best then make etc thanks

ratwing 19-01-2012 09:17 PM

FWIW, I used Uniroyals but I think you'll find theres not a lot of choice in 125 x 15 nowadays, I'd suggest checking whats available.
You might be able to fit a bigger tyre in if you cut the swinging arm and put a dog-leg in the brake caliper side, there might even be a spindle off onother bike that would be long enough to fit too if you're lucky.
It'll cost if you have to pay someone to do the work but you'll save a fortune in tyres in the long run.

captaincondom 21-01-2012 07:52 AM

Thanks peeps

johnr 21-01-2012 06:38 PM

ive what i think is a 1100 wing wheel in the shed that has been modder onto a 2cv 15" rim, would need to see a pic of the hub and splines of your wheel to confirm it though. if you can get someone to pick it up and cart it darn sarf, you can have it gratis.

RebuiltYorkie 22-01-2012 01:15 AM

Sorry... for butting in, but I find this car tyre on bike interesting..

My old triked GL 1000 k2 type, has spoked front wheel fitted with a bike tyre... She seems to loose grip and pushed wide on cornering (sharp left of right turn, such as turning of major road in to/on to a side road).
A mate told me to find a supplier of side car tyre with flat tread area, rather than curved... Would a Taxi tyre solve this OR Would this be a more of a suicide jockey thing to do?

onebaddaddy 22-01-2012 09:18 AM

Not too sure bout a taxi tyre on the front yorkie, Im only using them for the rear of my zeph mutant cuz they've got a stiff as fuck 6ply wall so should be ok with the stress on the side wall whilst cornering.
Reckon it's prolly a suicide jockey idea on the front,as you'd only be cornering on the outer edge n with how hard the compound of the tyre is in comparison to a nice grippy soft bike tyre I think you'd have less grip. I'm not really familiar with sidecar tyres or their compound but I'd imagine they'd probably be softer than a car tyre.
You tried a wider bike tyre or one with a flatter cruiser type profile?
Other than that I think the rake/trail would need tweaking.

captaincondom 22-01-2012 02:18 PM

Pm sent johnr ref wheel:thumbsu:

johnr 22-01-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincondom (Post 625890)
Pm sent johnr ref wheel:thumbsu:

got it, will take a pic and sort it this week.

johnr 22-01-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebuiltYorkie (Post 625884)
Sorry... for butting in, but I find this car tyre on bike interesting..

My old triked GL 1000 k2 type, has spoked front wheel fitted with a bike tyre... She seems to loose grip and pushed wide on cornering (sharp left of right turn, such as turning of major road in to/on to a side road).
A mate told me to find a supplier of side car tyre with flat tread area, rather than curved... Would a Taxi tyre solve this OR Would this be a more of a suicide jockey thing to do?

tbh its probably got more to do with the type of suspension you are running. tele forks are only really going to work on a solo where they have minimal sideways loading, teles on an outfit and trike tend to tie themselves in knots cos they cant cope with the flexing. on a bike they only have to cope with up and down loadings. links might be better suited as adding a tyre with even more grip might make things even more lairy!

matthewmosse 22-01-2012 08:46 PM

Might be worth trying a sidecar type tyre on the front. I found my 500/4 outfit was better with an avon sidecar triple duty tyre which had less contact area than the conventional bike tyre that was there before. Same problem with normal bike tyres, it would slide streight forewards a bit under sharp cornering, especially from standing. Far better with the avon sidecar tyre. I have standard forks with preload spacers on that. I have a bmw outfit with leading links too and it's technically better but is too smoth / boring as a result, it's lost a lot of the fun factor and is more car like in the dullness, ease and predictability. It might well as a result be the better choice if say I wanted to tour Europe or do a few 400+ miles a day reguarly but I'd rather keep the charachter of the bike and save a fair bit of money with standard tele's. For the cost vs benefits I feel leading links are a bit extravegant for most uses.

johnr 22-01-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmosse (Post 625908)
Might be worth trying a sidecar type tyre on the front. I found my 500/4 outfit was better with an avon sidecar triple duty tyre which had less contact area than the conventional bike tyre that was there before. Same problem with normal bike tyres, it would slide streight forewards a bit under sharp cornering, especially from standing. Far better with the avon sidecar tyre. I have standard forks with preload spacers on that. I have a bmw outfit with leading links too and it's technically better but is too smoth / boring as a result, it's lost a lot of the fun factor and is more car like in the dullness, ease and predictability. It might well as a result be the better choice if say I wanted to tour Europe or do a few 400+ miles a day reguarly but I'd rather keep the charachter of the bike and save a fair bit of money with standard tele's. For the cost vs benefits I feel leading links are a bit extravegant for most uses.

soooooooo, leading links make it handle better and steer and brake more predictably, and as such detract from the riding experience? and make it less fun?????????? having piloted a bmw outfit with teles and a double adult sidecar on the side as well as a trailer on the back and 2 adults plus 2 kids as passengers, i must say that i quite liked the boring predictability of knowing that when i hit the brakes it wouls stop and when i turned a corner, it would turn. so i was pretty glad to get a set of dull old leading links on the front. now call me old fashioned, but having hit one, i must say that dry stone walls, whilst they are very exciting to hit in an outfit are not something you should ever look forward to doing more than once!! :D:D

captaincondom 22-01-2012 11:08 PM

Thanks John

RebuiltYorkie 23-01-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnr (Post 625909)
soooooooo, leading links make it handle better and steer and brake more predictably, and as such detract from the riding experience? and make it less fun?????????? having piloted a bmw outfit with teles and a double adult sidecar on the side as well as a trailer on the back and 2 adults plus 2 kids as passengers, i must say that i quite liked the boring predictability of knowing that when i hit the brakes it wouls stop and when i turned a corner, it would turn. so i was pretty glad to get a set of dull old leading links on the front. now call me old fashioned, but having hit one, i must say that dry stone walls, whilst they are very exciting to hit in an outfit are not something you should ever look forward to doing more than once!! :D:D

The GL1000 trike was a combo, before been triked in 1980/1... She has leading links.. I've tried to get hold of a side car tyer, but no one seems to stock them anymore!. Thank you for the feed back.
:thumbu:

captaincondom 23-01-2012 03:54 PM

Yorkie If it's a 19" front wheel they have side car Tyres on eBay the listing number is 260928464539

John Hopkins 23-01-2012 05:01 PM

There is no way I would put car tyres on a bike..

But each to their own and if you really want to the pro's are that the tyre lasts longer and the cons are that it doesn't corner so well..

If you decide to go further with this try to google darkside forum..

John.

matthewmosse 23-01-2012 09:08 PM

Lol, I know it sounds a bit odd but I was using the smaller stock bike + chair for commuting for a few years, spent a lot 'upgrading' to the bigger more refined outfit for a year, before going back to the simple cheaper outfit feeling it wasn't really all that great having the upgrades, really it was getting too much like a car, it was almost bland and had lacked that grin factor that made going to work worth doing in the times between paydays. You needed to go much futher on the geared up outfit to raise the same crazed, mad assed shit eating loony grin.

RebuiltYorkie 24-01-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincondom (Post 625928)
Yorkie If it's a 19" front wheel they have side car Tyres on eBay the listing number is 260928464539

Cheer's:thumbu:

matthewmosse 24-01-2012 01:33 PM

The Avon sidecar tripple duties are quite excellent tyres for outfits so should do so on a trike too

johnr 24-01-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hopkins (Post 625935)
There is no way I would put car tyres on a bike..

But each to their own and if you really want to the pro's are that the tyre lasts longer and the cons are that it doesn't corner so well..

If you decide to go further with this try to google darkside forum..

John.

on a solo perhaps, but on an outfit, it doesnt lean over going round a bend, so the more rubber you can put on the road, the better, a bike tyre will wear flat down the centre without anything off centre ever touching tarmac. my outfits always had car tyres on the back and the chair, and a bike tyre on the front.

johnr 24-01-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmosse (Post 625973)
The Avon sidecar tripple duties are quite excellent tyres for outfits so should do so on a trike too

need to check up on weight and speed ratings on a gl1100 outfit though. remember the old avon sidecar tyre on a 19 inch wheel was originally designed for brit sidevalve single plodders with busmar double adult chairs on the side and a sub 60mph top speed!

RebuiltYorkie 24-01-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnr (Post 625985)
need to check up on weight and speed ratings on a gl1100 outfit though. remember the old avon sidecar tyre on a 19 inch wheel was originally designed for brit sidevalve single plodders with busmar double adult chairs on the side and a sub 60mph top speed!

Mine is a 1977 GL1000 K2 type... I'm happy enough with it, as for the slide on tight corner's... Well it's just something that I have to allow for:D