PDA

View Full Version : BSOC show Sywell Aerodrome.

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Found this show on over the weekend.
Beautiful bikes. Some of the models are down to single figures for those left in the world. Quite a few grands worth in one small field :cool:

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Some more.

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:40 AM
More.......

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:42 AM
More......

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:44 AM
More.........

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:46 AM
More........

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Last few.....

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:50 AM
A couple of bikes outside the show....

HOS
15-08-2016, 07:58 AM
I recommend anyone to go and visiit Sywell Aerodrome.
Apart from the huge free parking area, there is plenty to see and do.
The airfiled is an ex WW1 and WW2 airfiled. The superb art deco building in the photos above is the old officers mess
and they've kept it fairly original inside which is now a public bar with outside seating. The interior is very much of the era.

Also worth a visit for one of the best and award winning airforce museums in the country.
Its small but rammed full of incredible exhibits.
From this airfield USAF Bombers flew under the squadron title of The Hells Angels. Can see the photorgraphs and details inside.
The museum is free, but it would be rude not to leave a decent donation.
As I say, well worth it.

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/index.php

Sir Ewok
15-08-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure if they are still there but the old hangars of WW2 vintage were used to build bombers and you used to see the old blast door entrances on the outside. Sywell also does a brilliant air show every year and of course the helicopters for Silverstone also come and go from there.

The museum has a bomb sitting in a welded cradle (or did have as they may have changed it) which I helped my mate design and he welded it it up as a favour to a friend who ran the museum at the time. We also powder coated it black on the company paint line......:D

My mistake, they repaired and serviced Wellington bombers there.....

http://www.atomicfestival.co.uk/history-of-sywell/

strima
15-08-2016, 10:44 AM
I passed a Brough on the A45 yesterday when we was coming back from the Bully, it's great to see them still being used on the roads rather than wrapped up in some shed somewhere.

HOS
15-08-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure if they are still there but the old hangars of WW2 vintage were used to build bombers and you used to see the old blast door entrances on the outside. Sywell also does a brilliant air show every year and of course the helicopters for Silverstone also come and go from there.

The museum has a bomb sitting in a welded cradle (or did have as they may have changed it) which I helped my mate design and he welded it it up as a favour to a friend who ran the museum at the time. We also powder coated it black on the company paint line......:D

We are planning to attend that festival if the weather is good.
I can't say about those old hangers, they would be in the non public side if still standing.

I've been up to see the Cardington hangers in Beds.
They are sposed to be building huge airships there now.
Can't get near the hangers but you can see them from surrounding roads.
Ooje hangers !!

BikerGran
15-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Took this pic at a rally I went to can't remember how far he'd ridden to get there, he reckoned he'd remortgaged his house to buy it - not sure whether or not he was joking!

Friar Tuck
16-08-2016, 05:00 AM
A fair few bobs worth of Broughs there!

Friar Tuck
16-08-2016, 05:06 AM

I did a temp job at Sywell, working in one of the hangars there. It was a storage facility for Wickes for their conservatories. Once the punter had bought their conservatory. We would ring them up and give them a date for delivery and installation! And take the shit from them when the Date, delivery, installation team, or parts did not turn up! which ws regular as clock work! Needles to say after one abusive phone call too many which resulted in a return tirade, I was not invited back the following week!

Friar Tuck
16-08-2016, 05:15 AM
Took this pic at a rally I went to can't remember how far he'd ridden to get there, he reckoned he'd remortgaged his house to buy it - not sure whether or not he was joking!

A lot of these old Broughs are family heirlooms. My Dad had an old Rudge that he bought when he was in the RAF during the war. It just used to lay about in the garage or shed and got moved around as we moved. Eventually it just "disappeared" I always kept asking Dad to give it to me and I'll get it going and use it for work ( I was about 19 or 20 then and needed "transport" as I was always skint!). Then one day I came home and found it gone! He'd given it away to a neighbour. I went spare and he said that he thought I didn't want it! It turned out the bike was and old Rudge - Whitworth Bronze head, that was worth a fair few bob! Dad did the same thing to me years later on an old BSA b40 and then again on a BMW75/5! Much as I loved my Dad I could've have crucified him on many an occasion!

HOS
16-08-2016, 07:32 AM
A lot of these old Broughs are family heirlooms. My Dad had an old Rudge that he bought when he was in the RAF during the war. It just used to lay about in the garage or shed and got moved around as we moved. Eventually it just "disappeared" I always kept asking Dad to give it to me and I'll get it going and use it for work ( I was about 19 or 20 then and needed "transport" as I was always skint!). Then one day I came home and found it gone! He'd given it away to a neighbour. I went spare and he said that he thought I didn't want it! It turned out the bike was and old Rudge - Whitworth Bronze head, that was worth a fair few bob! Dad did the same thing to me years later on an old BSA b40 and then again on a BMW75/5! Much as I loved my Dad I could've have crucified him on many an occasion!

My old man (God rest his soul), was a tight old bugger !
I still don't know where his Vincent Comet went to in 2007 when he passed away. But I never had a close relationship with him, I didn't like him.
When our mum died of cancer I was 18 and he became a real mean old bastard.
He remarried into wealth and title and turned his back on his working class roots and his family.

SS2
16-08-2016, 11:50 AM
My BSA was my Dad's. He stripped it down in 1973 and the bulk of it lived on the breakfast bar in our kitchen until we moved in 1976. It was hastily chucked together for the move then spend the many years languishing in various garages and gardens. Once or twice he was going to sell it but like FT I told him I wanted it when I was eighteen, so he never did.

I took it apart when I was sixteen and re-painted the frame and polished up all the chrome work ready for when I turned seventeen. Naive enough to think I'd be able to afford to run it :( It ended up back in the garden again for a couple of years when me Ma got sick of tripping over it on the way to the coalhouse. I was gutted. Luckily I scored with a lass who's parents had a garage and plenty room for me to start again, full strip down this time, and I almost got it back together too (in between doing my test and acquiring several other bikes) before we split up. The bike did briefly get slung together and ridden for a bit after that but it hadn't been re-registered since the old green card log books so it was only really to get it between abodes to languish further for many years. Anyhow, I got there eventually, got it registered and did an oily rag restoration in my early forties! and it's been on the road a few years now. Cheers Da!

Sir Ewok
16-08-2016, 12:31 PM
The hangers were visible from the road but as Friar Tuck says they are used as warehouses and not open to the public....

HOS
16-08-2016, 03:42 PM
My BSA was my Dad's. He stripped it down in 1973 and the bulk of it lived on the breakfast bar in our kitchen until we moved in 1976. It was hastily chucked together for the move then spend the many years languishing in various garages and gardens. Once or twice he was going to sell it but like FT I told him I wanted it when I was eighteen, so he never did.

I took it apart when I was sixteen and re-painted the frame and polished up all the chrome work ready for when I turned seventeen. Naive enough to think I'd be able to afford to run it :( It ended up back in the garden again for a couple of years when me Ma got sick of tripping over it on the way to the coalhouse. I was gutted. Luckily I scored with a lass who's parents had a garage and plenty room for me to start again, full strip down this time, and I almost got it back together too (in between doing my test and acquiring several other bikes) before we split up. The bike did briefly get slung together and ridden for a bit after that but it hadn't been re-registered since the old green card log books so it was only really to get it between abodes to languish further for many years. Anyhow, I got there eventually, got it registered and did an oily rag restoration in my early forties! and it's been on the road a few years now. Cheers Da!

That's a very nice bike. A school mate had one when he was 17 while we were 16 on FS1Es. I thought his BSA was the dogs danglies. Mind you in 75 there were still a lot of British bikes on the road.

HOS
16-08-2016, 03:47 PM
The hangers were visible from the road but as Friar Tuck says they are used as warehouses and not open to the public....

Gotcha. Yes there are loads of old sheds by the airport buildings. All used as warehousing and small industrial units.

Friar Tuck
17-08-2016, 05:27 AM
Housing Wickes "customer care services" to arrange delivery of their conservatories. Good Ole Ewokandtuk.com was born from this apprenticeship!

Friar Tuck
17-08-2016, 05:29 AM

You are a lucky man to have kept it for so long.

HOS
19-08-2016, 03:35 PM
A fair few bobs worth of Broughs there!

Yes I'd say so.
Last year there was a bright red Brough Superior on eBay US.
It was a Canadian bike I think with about 4 owners and some history.
Concourse condition and it was a classified sale, priced at $75,000
It's good to see these bikes are still ridden and not just kept locked up in private collections.

A brief history of Brough Superior motorcycles.
http://www.britishclassicmotorcycles.com/Brough-Superior.html

SS2
20-08-2016, 01:05 AM
You are a lucky man to have kept it for so long.

Keep toying with the idea of swapping it for summat I'd make more use of but as everyone sensible says I'd regret it. Oh well, it will remain my winter hack upsetting the classic brigade as I splash slush up the side of their classic bike bestickered Mondeos :D

Friar Tuck
20-08-2016, 06:10 AM
Yes I'd say so.
Last year there was a bright red Brough Superior on eBay US.
It was a Canadian bike I think with about 4 owners and some history.
Concourse condition and it was a classified sale, priced at $75,000
It's good to see these bikes are still ridden and not just kept locked up in private collections.

A brief history of Brough Superior motorcycles.
http://www.britishclassicmotorcycles.com/Brough-Superior.html

$75000 sounds cheap in today's markets!

Friar Tuck
20-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Keep toying with the idea of swapping it for summat I'd make more use of but as everyone sensible says I'd regret it. Oh well, it will remain my winter hack upsetting the classic brigade as I splash slush up the side of their classic bike bestickered Mondeos :D

FFS man! You can't get rid of it now after all these years!

SS2
21-08-2016, 01:05 PM
FFS man! You can't get rid of it now after all these years!

I know, I know, it just seems a shame for it to just be sitting there doing no more than 500 miles a year. I don't think I'll ever do it, but it's always at the back of my mind.

Friar Tuck
22-08-2016, 05:28 AM
I know, I know, it just seems a shame for it to just be sitting there doing no more than 500 miles a year. I don't think I'll ever do it, but it's always at the back of my mind.

If you have to, give it to me!!!

SS2
22-08-2016, 12:53 PM
If you have to, give it to me!!!

Swap ya for one of them there Broughs up there ^^^^ :D Was reading in the Road mag last night how much the forgotten 8 made at auction. Bliddy Hells teeth:eek:

Friar Tuck
23-08-2016, 04:36 AM
And where the hell am I going to conjure up a Brough from? Even Ewokandtuck aren't that rich.....

SS2
23-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Yet! You're firmly on the lucrative side of he moral fence so there's every hope for you ;)

Sir Ewok
23-08-2016, 12:18 PM
And where the hell am I going to conjure up a Brough from? Even Ewokandtuck aren't that rich.....

Offer a swap for the Stanley Steamer, the red flag man has died and selfishly left no relatives to work off his debt (and you know the old boiler will explode sometime soon)......:cool: