PDA

View Full Version : Bike lift

wiskers
10-02-2016, 06:27 PM
As a few of you know I'm doing the forks on the harley, and some of you know that it rolled back off my hydraulic lift on sunday yup all my fault not the lift

Anyway i have always had trouble lifting this bike with my lift

On sunday evening I ordered http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WJPDT16?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

It arrived today from Germany three day's

If you need a new lift or just fancy another this was the cheapest I could find and arriving from Germany in three day's I can't recommend this enough

The reason i bought this well if I decide to have the stanchions rechromed the bike will be on the lift for possibly a couple of months I know I could have jury rigged axle stands to support it but them my axle stands would have been out of action for any jobs I need to do on the car

Edit ok i have found a fault, the threaded part that pulls it together to make it lift (can't think what it's called ) is held in place with a drilled nut with a grub screw fitted. when lowering the lift this can slide down the bar when the weight comes off the lift, a spot of weld will cure this or press down with your hand once the weight comes off

Hope that edit makes sense Dai

HOS
18-02-2016, 10:10 PM
You are not the only person who I've heard had problems with a new bike lift. A mate bought a new un, almost fell apart. Sent it back for a replacement which when delivered he went over it in detail to check it. A similar problem of shit assembly with finger tight nuts in critical places.

He kept the bike left once he had checked every nut and bolt.

Must admit I would like one myself. It's not so easy lying under me bike working on it. But I've got a kinda flat table scissor jack for want of a better word that lifts the bike anywhere under the engine on the frame rails or on the engine. Dead easy to use and very sturdy.

wiskers
19-02-2016, 12:29 AM
This one's a scissor type one all the fixings were loose but being an old man I have learned to check everything before I use it

Once every thing is tightened up and lok tighted it's fine FFS I have my street bob up on it

And before anyone says anything no it wasn't this lift I dropped the bike from that was my hydraulic one and that was my own fault

Before I had the hydraulic lift I used to use axle stands and a scissor jack

HOS
19-02-2016, 08:02 AM
This is the jack I've got, bought it the NEC bike show a coupla years ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5147-Black-Range-B5147-Scissor/dp/B00J8I5H7G/ref=sr_1_10/275-7720836-3980169?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455868768&sr=1-10&keywords=motorcycle+jack+lift

Works like a centre stand except it can lift the front or back end.

wiskers
19-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Same thing just a different colour and price

harry
19-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Being posh I got this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LB5Q43A?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

wiskers
19-02-2016, 11:05 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LB5Q43A?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Wish I had room for that one

Good review as well

Just read all your amazon reviews got to say the leaf blower review was a classic

Thanks Harry cheered me up no end

SS2
19-02-2016, 12:22 PM

How do you drop the wheels out with that one? Looks like you'd need summat else along the lines of the above or an axle stand or summat?

Friar Tuck
20-02-2016, 06:04 AM
Has David Attenborough met you yet, Harry?

harry
20-02-2016, 11:13 AM
How do you drop the wheels out with that one? Looks like you'd need summat else along the lines of the above or an axle stand or summat?

It has a removable plate under the back wheel.

Both our bikes have centre stands. Mine has a removable bit of rear muguard so I don't need to take the plate out.

With Lois's bike it is easier with the plate out but can be done on a flat surface if I take the pannier brackets off.

but yes if you had no centre stand you'd need summat else to hold the bike up.

harry
20-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Has David Attenborough met you yet, Harry?

Nope but I'd like to meet him, great bloke :D

SS2
20-02-2016, 07:44 PM
It has a removable plate under the back wheel.

Both our bikes have centre stands. Mine has a removable bit of rear muguard so I don't need to take the plate out.

With Lois's bike it is easier with the plate out but can be done on a flat surface if I take the pannier brackets off.

but yes if you had no centre stand you'd need summat else to hold the bike up.

Thought so, cheers Harry

ChopperFXR
16-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT attempt what I did. Was fixing a poxy scooter I had up for sale. Needed to get it off the ground as my neck was giving me gip. I rode the scooter onto my hydraulic ramp. Braked and the ramp, complete with the scooter and me on it, moved three and a half feet smack into the fucking wall!!!

Scooter fell of the ramp, I fell off the scooter and Mrs Chopper fell off her chair laughing her tits off!

Chopper.

wiskers
16-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Well where the fuck you been? having heart attack is no excuse to go into hiding

Great story Chop great to see you haven't lost your sence of humour

Even rang a mate of yours to ask how you were? he did ask if i wanted him to give you my phone number but i thought you would ask if you wanted.

Bike lift still doing well bike hasn't moved a bit, forks due back in the next couple of weeks

Friar Tuck
17-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Ooh Shit! thing is gonna liven up now, for sure!

He's back!

ChopperFXR
17-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Ooh Shit! thing is gonna liven up now, for sure!

He's back!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Chopper.

wiskers
17-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Welcome back sir been quiet on here for too long

Got some decent new members

Friar Tuck
18-03-2016, 08:03 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Chopper.

Not at all! It needs a bit of livening up around here!

Hope you are making a good recovery, Sir!

ChopperFXR
18-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Not at all! It needs a bit of livening up around here!

Hope you are making a good recovery, Sir!

Hi FT. On the mend thanks mate. Got bucket loads of tablets to take every day for the rest of my life and have to carry a GTN spray in case of Angina attacks while I am out and about. The pain I can deal with, its the giant headfuck that goes with it that bothers me more than anything. Not strong enough to ride yet which is a real bummer as the summer is on its way. Never mind, I am still here and at one point a lot of clever medical people didn't think I would be.

I think I was allowed to recover just so I can piss of a few more people before I finally check out. :D:D:D

Chopper

Friar Tuck
19-03-2016, 06:27 AM
Glad to hear you are on the way to recovery. One stent was enough for me, thanks. I know what you mean about the GTN! I jut now sit out the angina attack when I get one. Thankfully they are about one every three or four months and not very painful. The headache though is worse than a migraine, so I try not to use the GTN!

I have now fully recovered mostly, although I cant' be as active as I used to. Extreme weather knocks me for a six now, though.

harry
19-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Hi Chopper good to hear from you.

ChopperFXR
20-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Glad to hear you are on the way to recovery. One stent was enough for me, thanks. I know what you mean about the GTN! I jut now sit out the angina attack when I get one. Thankfully they are about one every three or four months and not very painful. The headache though is worse than a migraine, so I try not to use the GTN!

I have now fully recovered mostly, although I cant' be as active as I used to. Extreme weather knocks me for a six now, though.

I know exactly what you mean about the weather. I am used to being outside in all weathers. The doctor now has me on loads of drugs, one is to thin my blood and another is prevent clots. These two drugs have aggravated the effects of the stroke I had 3 years ago. My right hand and forearm twitch at times so badly that I cannot hold a pen. (Using a hammer is literally a bit hit and miss)!! My right leg from the knee down feels like a block of ice and at times it gets so cold that it is actually painful.

Doctors told me "Avoid stress at all times". I get angry just answering the phone. If I have to go into town and there is a chance of meeting people, I run the risk of a complete meltdown.

Went into a local computer shop last week. Stood at the counter getting advice from a nice lady, (Ugly as fuck but she was doing her best to help me). Guy walks in behind me and throws money over the counter at the woman, tells her to put it in the till. Red mist descends.... "Hey you ignorant twat, have some respect for a woman and mind your manners". Guy runs from the shop. I turn back to the lady and she says "Thank you, that was my boss"!! Felt like my chest was going to explode.

Mrs Chopper says I clearly do not mix well with humans.

Chopper

ChopperFXR
20-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Hi Chopper good to hear from you.

Hi Harry, hope you are well mate. Might need to pick your brains on a few things soon. Got a GS500 which has been sadly neglected but has a very sweet engine. Going to build a little soft tail chop out of it. Something to hack around on while I get my strength back.

Chopper

harry
20-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Hi Harry, hope you are well mate. Might need to pick your brains on a few things soon. Got a GS500 which has been sadly neglected but has a very sweet engine. Going to build a little soft tail chop out of it. Something to hack around on while I get my strength back.

Chopper

Sounds like a plan :D

Sir Ewok
20-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Glad to see you back mate, hope you get your strength back soon......:)

BikerGran
20-03-2016, 10:14 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the weather. I am used to being outside in all weathers. The doctor now has me on loads of drugs, one is to thin my blood and another is prevent clots. These two drugs have aggravated the effects of the stroke I had 3 years ago. My right hand and forearm twitch at times so badly that I cannot hold a pen. (Using a hammer is literally a bit hit and miss)!! My right leg from the knee down feels like a block of ice and at times it gets so cold that it is actually painful.

Doctors told me "Avoid stress at all times". I get angry just answering the phone. If I have to go into town and there is a chance of meeting people, I run the risk of a complete meltdown.

Went into a local computer shop last week. Stood at the counter getting advice from a nice lady, (Ugly as fuck but she was doing her best to help me). Guy walks in behind me and throws money over the counter at the woman, tells her to put it in the till. Red mist descends.... "Hey you ignorant twat, have some respect for a woman and mind your manners". Guy runs from the shop. I turn back to the lady and she says "Thank you, that was my boss"!! Felt like my chest was going to explode.

Mrs Chopper says I clearly do not mix well with humans.

Chopper

Hi Chopper - I had a heart attack last year, not as bad as yours and only 4 stents (thought I was gonna die while there were putting the last one in though!)

I know what you mean about feeling the cold, seriously thinking about parting with my trike as it's too cold riding.

But what I really wanted to say, about the getting angry bit, when I read that I remembered that's how I was at first, clearly it's worn off over the year or so, and now I only get 'normally' angry (well people are mostly bloody stupid) - hoping the same will happen for you!

Cheers
Bobbi