PDA

View Full Version : MOT concerns

pastapete
16-12-2015, 06:47 PM
My bobber project is nearing completion and will soon require its first MOT. My concerns are about the side mounted tail light / number plate and the front mudguard (or lack of!).

Should I spend time and money making suitable items only to remove them post test?

Anyone have any experience of getting through a test with this type of bike?

Cheers

Friar Tuck
17-12-2015, 05:58 AM
HAAARRRRYYYYYYY? You're wanted, matey!

Al who is that Al
17-12-2015, 10:28 AM
My bike passed it's MOT twice with a side mounted number plate and light - they were more concerned at the light not working on the first MOT (loose wire).
I was also told I should have a front mudguard anyway as the bracket that holds it onto the forks also gives some structural help to the forks as well and helps stop them flexing too much when cornering.

harry
17-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Hi Pastapete, A front mudguard is required by construction and use regs which means you could get a prohibtion from the police at the roadside.

Whilst the mudguard is not mentioned in the MoT manual as Al says the tester may deam the mudguard bracket to be part of the suspension and or steering and fail it that way. A fork brace might help there.

By the way if you've modified the frame you may need MSVA.

pastapete
17-12-2015, 06:53 PM
The frame has the original front section with a hardtail conversion, hopefully the tester will not question the frame history.

harry
17-12-2015, 07:09 PM
The frame has the original front section with a hardtail conversion, hopefully the tester will not question the frame history.

The MoT testers are being "encouraged" to notice major modifications and a hard tail is considered to be major.

Where it all goes 'orribly wrong is when your insurance company won't pay out on a claim because the vehicle is not as described in the policy or the MoT does not match the vehicle insured, allowing them to claim the MoT to be invalid. The cops can then bust you for no valid insurance.

But that's your call.

pastapete
01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your input on this. Just downloaded the MSVA manual and once you get through things like seatbelt location and other irrelevant sections it becomes clear that many of our bikes, in slightly modified form, would not pass this test!!

For instance I need to fit 2 rear view mirrors the dimensions of which seem impossible to purchase. This is going to be a long road and may be the reason for 'Trailer queens'.

I want to ride mine, maybe not far, but I want to ride.

harry
01-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Wow I think you've misread some stuff.

For many years I tested MSVA and all wellbuilt bikes passed, sometimes with a few alterations but rarely any thing major.

As for mirrors the dimensions are easily met. But just put a pair of "E" marked mirrors on it and its job done as long as you can see behind you properly and the centre of the glass is more than 280mm from the centre line of the bike.

How hard is that ?

pastapete
21-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Ok, so assuming that my bobber will need to go through the MSVA test I downloaded the test manual and have spent some time extracting just the relevant pages (for a 2 wheeled motorcycle). By fair or foul means I can (I hope) meet all the requirements.

Just downloaded the application form, from the .Gov website and noticed that under this;

Eligibility for MSVA

You can use the MSVA scheme for vehicles that:
are under 10 years old
havenít been registered before in the UK
donít have ECWVTA

The bike was first registered in 1976.
So does this mean I cant or don't need to MSVA test it?

Aspirin please!!!!

BikerGran
21-01-2016, 03:31 PM
But was it registered in the form it's now in? If not, it's now a different vehicle.

wiskers
21-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Best wait for Harry

But if it was me presuming it has been declared Sorn and the log book is in your name just book a MOT get it tested then tax and ride it

Honestly i can't see what the problem is Dai

pastapete
21-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Best wait for Harry

But if it was me presuming it has been declared Sorn and the log book is in your name just book a MOT get it tested then tax and ride it

Honestly i can't see what the problem is Dai

My thoughts when I started this thread but the consensus appears to be towards MSVA testing.

I favour taking it for an MOT and see what happens. I'll get turned away or it fails.

But that may be naive of me.

wiskers
21-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Make sure it's insured as a custom they will want pictures of the bike tell them everything that's been done

The front mudguard you will probably want one after your first wet ride

The side plate I can't see that being a problem as long as it's lit

Is it registered in your name? If not get that done!

You said that the bike was first registered in1976 make sure the numbers are right if not get them changed

Get the paperwork right and you should be ok

how long has it been off the road? I can't remember when Sorn was bought in but if it's been off the road since before Sorn the registration number may have been reissued this will be a cause for grief!

Hopefully the paperwork is all good then you shouldn't have any trouble if one bit of paperwork is not right look out

Hope this helps Dai

harry
22-01-2016, 04:33 PM
But was it registered in the form it's now in? If not, it's now a different vehicle.

Exactly.

Historically many MoT testers turned a blind eye and just tested what was in front of them.

But due to vehicle crime (ringing) its getting much harder for that to happen.

Insurance companies may refuse to pay out on a claim if the paperwork don't match up. So you could end up being done for no insurance and be liable for huge sums if someone gets seriously hurt or killed.

pastapete
22-01-2016, 04:36 PM
So does that mean I get a new or Q plate registration?

wiskers
22-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Your making this hard for us to help

Have you got a current log book in your name for the bike

Is it on sorn

Do the numbers match

If you can answer yes to these questions have a chat to your local mot man

If you can't answer yes to these questions you will probably have to sva the bike and get a q plate

If the log books in your name you can get the engine numbers changed to match the motor you have, also you can get the engine capacity changed

You can also change the vehicle colour

pastapete
22-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Like I said, this is starting to make my head hurt.

I have the log book in my name.

Its not on SORN (hasn't been taxed for some years).

Engine number and frame number match the log book details.

Think I will visit the local MOT man and ask some questions and as the MSVA test centre is not far from me I may as well ask some questions there too.

BikerGran
22-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Here's something else to make your head hurt - if it's not on SORN but hasn't been taxed since before the SORN thing started, the registration may have expired.
You can check this online here.....

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

You just have to put in the registration and make.

harry
22-01-2016, 09:11 PM
So does that mean I get a new or Q plate registration?

That's DVLAs bit but usually when you have the logbook of the donor vehicle you can keep that reg number

harry
22-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Like I said, this is starting to make my head hurt.

I have the log book in my name.

Its not on SORN (hasn't been taxed for some years).

Engine number and frame number match the log book details.

Think I will visit the local MOT man and ask some questions and as the MSVA test centre is not far from me I may as well ask some questions there too.

Tony at Avonmouth test station is very helpful. Tell him Harry says Hi. I'm not there for the next 5 weeks.

pastapete
01-02-2016, 08:13 PM
I have surrendered to the idea of having to put this bike through the MSVA test. Downloaded the application form from the website and cannot open the file in any common word processor or any other software.

Took a visit to the test station on the basis that they would have a hardcopy of this document, nope. The guy behind the counter told me that they are available online. Long story short, he couldn't open it either!!

Anybody got a good copy of this document please.

strima
01-02-2016, 08:25 PM
I can open it, PM me your email address and I can send it in PDF format.

pastapete
05-03-2016, 03:42 PM
So I've modified and added the bits required by the MSVA test and ready to submit.
Added a front mudguard. (looks awful!)
Mounted the rear light and number plate centrally. (looks awful!)
Muffled the exhaust to less than 96db (sounds awful!!).
Rebuilt the bike trailer to get it there!

Steve

wiskers
05-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Good luck with it

Construction and use also requires a chain guard to be fitted but MOT doesn't

Friar Tuck
06-03-2016, 07:24 AM
Once its passed though, no doubt it will all be coming off then?

pastapete
06-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Once its passed though, no doubt it will all be coming off then?

SSSSSHHHH!!! Would'nt dream of it!!

pastapete
21-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Booked MSVA test for 23rd March, starting to feel the pressure now. At least if it fails I'll know for sure what's expected.

BikerGran
21-03-2016, 09:03 PM
I believe they are generally very helpful!

pastapete
23-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Well unfortunately the bike failed the MSVA test on the following items:
Speedometer not marked MPH
Front and rear indicators not fitted.
No unauthorised use device.
Front mudguard edge radius.
Rear edge of fuel filler higher than 15mm.
No approval mark on rear tyre.

Some of these things are easy fixes others not so.:(

SS2
23-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Doesn't seem to be anything to onerous. Most of those you must've known you were going to fail on if you'd read the manual. No?

pastapete
23-03-2016, 12:49 PM
The indicators came as a surprise, it states 'where fitted' they must work. Also pre 1986 bikes are not obligatory.

The rear Tyre is a Dunlop, why would that not be E marked.

I was asked why I was presenting the bike for the test ????!!!

BikerGran
23-03-2016, 07:46 PM
The indicators came as a surprise, it states 'where fitted' they must work. Also pre 1986 bikes are not obligatory.

The rear Tyre is a Dunlop, why would that not be E marked.

I was asked why I was presenting the bike for the test ????!!!

If it's genuinely a pre 1986 bike it doesn't need MSVA.

If it's technically a 'new' bike (ie not enough original parts to call it whatever year it's supposed to be) then the pre-1986 rules don't apply.

Either the tyre is E marked or it's not, can't you check?

pastapete
23-03-2016, 07:52 PM
If it's genuinely a pre 1986 bike it doesn't need MSVA.

If it's technically a 'new' bike (ie not enough original parts to call it whatever year it's supposed to be) then the pre-1986 rules don't apply.

Either the tyre is E marked or it's not, can't you check?

Its a 1977 bike as stated on the V5, however, I'm told that because it's been modified this no longer counts. The major parts are all still there except the rear suspension.
I've looked all over the tyre but no E mark, why would Dunlop do that unless it was made pre E mark rules. Looking at its condition I find that hard to believe.

SS2
23-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Not to worry, onwards and upwards. You'll get there soon if they're your only issues.

pastapete
24-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Not to worry, onwards and upwards. You'll get there soon if they're your only issues.

Thanks for the positive vibe.
But £70 for another tyre, £40 for full indicator system and having to cut open a brand new speedo is pushing my boundaries somewhat.

The indicator requirement is a real PITA and if the manual is taken to the letter I will need front and rear fog lights!!!!

wiskers
24-03-2016, 11:06 AM
You can get speedo markings cheap on the Internet just stick on top of glass easy job

Unauthorised use device. doesn't it have a steering lock

The tyre I don't understand it should be marked if it's so old it's not marked I wouldn't use it , date of manufacture should also be marked on the sidewall

Front mudguard slip a bit of tubing over the sharp edges a spot of glue gets that done

Indicators will be needed as your registering a new vehicle

Now you have presented it for MSVA the MOT option has gone as it's all on computer now

As I said before what i would have done is take it for a MOT if there was doubt if you could keep the original registration number which there was due to it not being on sorn, I would have had the MOT done using the frame number then taken all the paperwork to my local DVLA Office to apply for a age related reg number

Best of luck with it Dai

SS2
24-03-2016, 12:26 PM
if the manual is taken to the letter I will need front and rear fog lights!!!!

Haaaarrryy.... That can't be right surely? There's not a production bike on the market with front and rear fog lights.

pastapete
24-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Haaaarrryy.... That can't be right surely? There's not a production bike on the market with front and rear fog lights.

I'm probably being a bit cynical with that comment, the section on indicators states 'where fitted' (told I must have them) but the section on fog lights also states 'where fitted'.

Edit: By the rules in this manual most production bikes would not pass either, just the one that was presented for type approval!

wiskers
24-03-2016, 04:18 PM
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_uk/mc/tyres/sidewall_markings.jsp

Don't know if this will help

harry
24-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Speedometer not marked MPH
Section 4 Reason for failure 1 b note it is permissible for the marking to be permanently on the glass ie not stickers

Front and rear indicators not fitted.
Section 6 annexe 3 solo machines Indicators obligatory
(No mention of foglamps for any solo machine)

No unauthorised use device.
Section 7 Reason for failure 1 (The unauthorised use device can be electronic or mechanical and must not operate on the brake system No disc locks but a padlock and chain is ok if carried on the bike )

Front mudguard edge radius.
Section 8 Reason for failure 3 2mm radius (But you don’t need a front mudguard for the test)

Rear edge of fuel filler higher than 15mm.
Section 8 Reason for failure 4

No approval mark on rear tyre.
Section 15 Reason for failure 1 a
(All tyres sold for road use from 1st July 1997 have to be E marked so your tyre is either not for road use or 19 years old )

wiskers
24-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Dam I thought those stickers would do the job for the speedo
So i guess a trip to the breakers is in order to pick one up

Rear edge of fuel filler too high ouch! Can you get another cap or build the tank up behind the filler

That back tyre concerns me not sure I would use any tyre without the right markings on them where did you get it? If someone out there is selling 20 year old tyres i for one want to know who the hell they are.

Question for Harry, Would a padlock carried on the frame that would lock over the rear sprocket do as a unauthorised use device? If so that would be a cheap and easy fix

pastapete
24-03-2016, 08:15 PM
The speedo is the electronic pickup type (KOSO D48) to gain access to the face would mean destroying £80 worth of kit. The glass is held on by a crimped bezel. If I mark MPH with black Letraset, on the glass, and cover with a few coats of clear laquer would that suffice?

The rear tyre came with the wheel off a Cagiva Canyon 600, I have ordered replacement tyre.

The fuel cap edge is 16.12mm above the tank surface, very dangerous! A ring of foam around the cap will cure that issue.

Front mudguard modified to give a 3mm radius.

I'm going with a padlock and chain in a saddle bag for unauthorised use issue.

harry
24-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Dam I thought those stickers would do the job for the speedo
So i guess a trip to the breakers is in order to pick one up

Rear edge of fuel filler too high ouch! Can you get another cap or build the tank up behind the filler

That back tyre concerns me not sure I would use any tyre without the right markings on them where did you get it? If someone out there is selling 20 year old tyres i for one want to know who the hell they are.

Question for Harry, Would a padlock carried on the frame that would lock over the rear sprocket do as a unauthorised use device? If so that would be a cheap and easy fix

Yes Daft as it may seem a disc lock on the right of the rear wheel is deemed to operate on the brake system and is no good but a padlock throught the rear sprocket preventing the wheel from turning is OK. And yes stick it on the frame and it passes. It just can't be in your pocket.

harry
24-03-2016, 10:21 PM
The speedo is the electronic pickup type (KOSO D48) to gain access to the face would mean destroying £80 worth of kit. The glass is held on by a crimped bezel. If I mark MPH with black Letraset, on the glass, and cover with a few coats of clear laquer would that suffice?

The rear tyre came with the wheel off a Cagiva Canyon 600, I have ordered replacement tyre.

The fuel cap edge is 16.12mm above the tank surface, very dangerous! A ring of foam around the cap will cure that issue.

Front mudguard modified to give a 3mm radius.

I'm going with a padlock and chain in a saddle bag for unauthorised use issue.

All good apart from the speedo. It needs to be a method a major manufacturer would use. If you can make it look profesional it might suffice. I'm not familiar with the speedo you have but many electronic speedos can be programed to do MPH as well as KMH. As MH is considered OK could you lose the K

pastapete
25-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Link here shows the speedo that I am using.
http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/d48-mphkh-speedometer-polished-case-white-dial-and-blue-back-light-460-p.asp

The bezel around the glass has been rolled under a lip to close the face an seal it up. The setup info says that MPH is displayed in the LCD section. I can only see the word Miles. I will look again but may have to cut off the crimped section and reseal with shrink tube once the lettering is done.

Thanks for the help so far.

Steve

wiskers
25-03-2016, 11:52 AM
looks like you have bought a KPH speedo
http://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?lang=en&id=344

Contact who sold it to you as it is being sold as being made for the UK market and it's plainly not suitable

pastapete
25-03-2016, 01:25 PM
looks like you have bought a KPH speedo
http://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?lang=en&id=344

Contact who sold it to you as it is being sold as being made for the UK market and it's plainly not suitable

You can configure it for KPH or MPH, have been talking to the MD of the UK importers and he says they sell loads of these for bikes and cars and are SVA/MSVA compliant as the lcd shows MPH on the screen. Cant see MPH on mine so I've mailed him again with questions.http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/koso-digital-motorcycle-speedos/BA485B71univ.html?gclid=CP-t39b428sCFQ2eGwod5wMOpQ

This is the exact one.

Update;
Koso UK MD says that the fact the odometer and trip meter readings are displayed in miles with a 'Miles' text above should be sufficient. Looks like I'm going to potentially destroy an £85 speedo cutting it open to add some text.

BikerGran
25-03-2016, 05:29 PM
I know the boys at Moorespeed, they're usually pretty much on the ball - maybe the tester was just being over-officious?

pastapete
25-03-2016, 05:32 PM
I know the boys at Moorespeed, they're usually pretty much on the ball - maybe the tester was just being over-officious?

That may be the case, however now that it has been flagged as a fail point I have to do something about it.

harry
25-03-2016, 09:00 PM

No the speedo has to be in MPH its in the manual

BikerGran
25-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Well either it is or it isn't, if it's not in MPH then it can be returned to the seller as not fit for purpose - I thought the problem was that it doesn't SAY it's in MPH?

pastapete
25-03-2016, 09:58 PM
No the speedo has to be in MPH its in the manual

MSVA manual section 4, page 1, Requirements and procedures has a 'note' that says:

"It is permitted for the marking (either mph or m/h) to be permanently marked on the dial glass and any reference to kph (km/h) removed (unless it is dual marked)."

2k clearcoat is an epoxy type (2 part) laquer that is as hard as glass. If this was applied over text on the glass would this not satisfy the above?

harry
25-03-2016, 10:27 PM
That would satisfy me that its permanent.

In the picture I can't see any marking on it either MPH or KMH wich is daft as they all have to tell you what the numbers on the dial mean.

Friar Tuck
26-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker in the long run to put the speedo on Ebay and then buy a correctly marked one?

pastapete
26-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker in the long run to put the speedo on Ebay and then buy a correctly marked one?

Problem is its installed and cables cut to the length I need. Unlikely to fit anything else neatly.

Etching the glass with acid has also been suggested but the text would be white, still a possibility?

pastapete
28-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Photo attached of the speedo with a waterslide transfer coated in 6 layers of 2 part clearcoat. Hopefully this will suffice!

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/20160328_093958.jpg
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/20160322_104012.jpg

ChopperFXR
28-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Photo attached of the speedo with a waterslide transfer coated in 6 layers of 2 part clearcoat. Hopefully this will suffice!

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/20160328_093958.jpg
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/20160322_104012.jpg

Think I would have checked out was required first instead of trying to get round MSVA rules. Once you have got the bike registered and tested you can do pretty much what you want with it. Would have been a damn sight easier, probably have cost less and been quicker.

MSVA is really just a glorified MOT, most of it is common sense and the rest of it is all readily available information on line.

Hope you get it sorted.

Chopper.

pastapete
28-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Hind sight is a rare commodity. This is my first build of a custom bike and I have learnt many lessons. I'm not trying to 'get round' any of the rules, just trying to comply with what I have and maintain what I want the bike to be when complete. After all, that's why we build 'custom' bikes.

The MSVA manual is somewhat confusing and there is contradictions to the MOT rules. That is where I have come unstuck.

The fact that I can, legally, remove some of these items after the MSVA is testament to the quirkiness of this test.

I'm still not convinced I needed to MSVA this bike but now I have started I might as well complete it, if only to satisfy myself that it can be done.

wurzel
29-03-2016, 09:09 AM
I know someone who brought in a low mileage TRX850 from the Isle of Man, as it was more than a couple of years old and never previously reg'd on the mainland it was deemed to need an MVSA (even though she got a letter from Yam UK saying it was a uk model sold by a uk dealer just not reg'd here), that was a real pain as they made her fit hazard lights/relay/switch (not on trx as standard but no grandfather rights on the MVSA it has to meet current regs) and getting the standard exhaust to pass meant a lot of hassle taking the cap of the end can stuffing in rockwool and re-riveting. Sometimes the rules can be too tight for their own good but it isn't the testers fault all they can do is follow the book/guidance in front of them

pastapete
29-03-2016, 11:49 AM
That was the point of my comment in an earlier post. The chap conducting the test was very pleasant and helpful and I have no complaints in that respect.
I wonder if sometimes they are embarrassed by these regulations.

Whilst I was there a kit car was being tested and had failed almost at the start as the chassis number was stamped on the wrong side!

Just waiting for a tyre and indicators to complete the list of failure items, before arranging a re-test.

Next issue is finding insurance and I'm hopeful that passing this MSVA test should smooth that journey.

harry
29-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Yes Sometimes it can be embarasing failing vehicles for silly reasons, but the way I see it is that many european countries will only accept the "certificate of conformity" from the manufacturer. These go out of date when the regulations change so that an unregistered bike or car without a valid Cof C is basically scrap.

We are the way around that problem, but we have to write the book so that it covers all the regulations because we are monitored by the Vehicle certification agency, Department for Transport and the International Standards Organisation.

We don't make this stuff up its actually in the Construction and Use regs that the stamped in Chassis number is on the off side of the chassis. If we don't enforce it they'll stop us testing and then all the hardtail chops and kit cars go in the bin.

The manuals are on the net always use the official dot gov websites as some helpful people also put them online but may not be up to date.
Any thing you don't understand ask me I do this for a living. Don't talk to an MoT tester for SVA advice they usualy get it wrong because the regs are different. And for god's sake igonre anyone down the pub.
Many stories I hear are just plain wrong why do people fit foglamps to trikes? because the bloke down the pub told them to, but they are in the optional annexe so ya don't have to fit them. Hazards on a bike optional again but if fitted must work as per the book.

My bike has hazards but they will not pass the test because they don't work both with the ignition on and off. So the bike fails. But everyone down the pub gets told the bike has to have hazards. Its a simple misunderstanding.

BikerGran
29-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Blummin Bruce Burrows told me my trike had to have hazards - they DO work independent of the ignition so I'm always worried someone will turn them on when it';s parked up and I'll come back to a flat battery (not happened yet).

harry
29-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Blummin Bruce Burrows told me my trike had to have hazards - they DO work independent of the ignition so I'm always worried someone will turn them on when it';s parked up and I'll come back to a flat battery (not happened yet).

Sorry perhaps I confused you. The regulations are different for bikes and trikes.

The manual has six lighting annexes one for each class of vehicle. Trikes do need hazards, bikes don't.

Strider
29-03-2016, 09:52 PM
My bike has hazards but they will not pass the test because they don't work both with the ignition on and off. So the bike fails. But everyone down the pub gets told the bike has to have hazards. Its a simple misunderstanding.

So, while my ZZR1400 obviously doesn't need a test, the hazards that are on it as standard don't work with the ignition off, yet it is fine and dandy regarding the laws ................ weird :confused:

Just saw your reply Harry ... that explains it

harry
30-03-2016, 08:41 AM
So, while my ZZR1400 obviously doesn't need a test, the hazards that are on it as standard don't work with the ignition off, yet it is fine and dandy regarding the laws ................ weird :confused:

Just saw your reply Harry ... that explains it

One of our problems is that full type approval (ECWVTA) is done by humans and they are notoriously fallible. Some vehicles have approvals issued wrongly ie bikes where the hazards don't work with the ignition off.
But where approval was granted we cannot then overule it. So a bike with wrongly wired hazards cannot fail MoT.

Harley have a clever way around wiring hazards that are proof from little fingers leaving you with a flat battery. If you press both indicator buttons with the ignition on the hazards start but they keep going when you switch the ignition off.
Its so neat many Harley owners don't know they have hazards.

BikerGran
30-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Its so neat many Harley owners don't know they have hazards.

Oh I'm so tempted............... no, I'll let someone else reply..............

wurzel
30-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Definitely failed that TRX at Southampton test centre for no hazards they had to fit and re present for another test.

harry
30-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Definitely failed that TRX at Southampton test centre for no hazards they had to fit and re present for another test.

Very unusual they're normally very good at Southampton. But that is where its good to know the manual, just ask to see where in the book it fails, we all make mistakes.

wurzel
30-03-2016, 03:57 PM
was over 5 years ago so bit late now :-)

pastapete
01-04-2016, 06:46 PM
I have dealt with all the failure issues and now need to book a re-test, is this just a test of the failed items or a full re run?

harry
02-04-2016, 08:42 AM
The examiner only has to look at the failed items.............But any alterations to remedy failures will be assessed in case they cause other failures.

Also we sometimes find people alter stuff that passed and create further failures if they get noticed they will become new failures.

pastapete
02-04-2016, 02:30 PM
The examiner only has to look at the failed items.............But any alterations to remedy failures will be assessed in case they cause other failures.

Also we sometimes find people alter stuff that passed and create further failures if they get noticed they will become new failures.

Thanks, been very careful not to make any other changes.

pastapete
11-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Last question on this subject, I promise.

Does the passing of an MSVA test count as an MOT (so I can tax it) or will I need to get an MOT as well?

Steve

BikerGran
11-04-2016, 06:01 PM
That's one answer I do know! If it's been through MSVA it's a new vehicle with a new registration so it doesn't need an MOT for 3 years.

But check on that.... ;)

pastapete
11-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Sweet!!! thanks.

harry
11-04-2016, 07:57 PM
I always advise people to get an MoT. When you have used a lot of second hand parts the insurance and police etc may deem the vehicle to be in need of an MoT.

It's a grey area but for peace of mind its worth the cost.

pastapete
14-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Happy to say that the bike has finally passed and now has a nive ministers approval certificate. Next step, insurance and tax. Many thanks for all the advice.

Steve

harry
14-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Well done. glad to be of help

wiskers
14-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Great news did they let you keep the old plate or give you an age related one?

Friar Tuck
15-04-2016, 04:50 AM
Now lets have some photos?

pastapete
15-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Great news did they let you keep the old plate or give you an age related one?

Yep, still on the old R suffix plate.

wiskers
15-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Now that is good news

On the subject of the MOT I would get it done if only for peace of mind as Harry has said it is a grey area and getting it done may well save hassle at the roadside from a man or lady in blue

BikerGran
15-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Doesn't it need it anyway with age-related plate?

You learn something every day, I thought MSVA'd bikes always got a new plate or a Q plate!

wiskers
15-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I always thought that any vehicle that had been through the MSVA or the SVA needed a MOT but now it doesn't seem that clear the regs seem to contradict each other

wiskers
15-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Here's another one for you

You don't need a reg number to get a MOT you can get it done on the chassis or frame number the same with insurance it can be done before you get the reg number

SS2
15-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Well done Pete. I wondered why the bloody snow had re-appeared ;)

pastapete
15-04-2016, 01:17 PM
I always thought that any vehicle that had been through the MSVA or the SVA needed a MOT but now it doesn't seem that clear the regs seem to contradict each other

When I have sorted the insurance I will go online to tax it, this should be possible if the MSVA cert is counted as an mot.

Surely if that is the case the police ANPR system should show the vehicle as having a current MOT.

We shall see.......

On the subject of photos, I will post some as soon as I can remember my photobox account password.

harry
16-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Keeping the old Reg number is down to DVLA who operate a points system that they barely understand themselves.

Their leaflet INF26 used to explain it well but even though other documents still refer to it it is no longer on their website.

Don't confuse MoT with MSVA. The MoT is mainly concerned with condition whereas MSVA is mainly concerned with design, this means a bald tyre with the correct markings will pass as it is designed for the job it is no longer fit to do.

pastapete
18-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Well it appears the bike needs an MOT.

As requested photos:

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/IMG_8323.jpg
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/IMG_8320.jpg
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz186/stevek374/IMG_8310.jpg

wiskers
18-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Pretty lil thing that

Not seen a Z400 for many a year

ChopperFXR
18-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Very tidy job, like the colour.

Chopper

SS2
18-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice work. Very neat.:cool:

Friar Tuck
19-04-2016, 05:19 AM
That was well worth the wait to see.

And well worth the pain to get the MSVA.

Well done, Matey!

pastapete
19-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the compliments, off to get an MOT today and looking forward to riding this during the summer, if we get one.

This has certainly been a journey of discovery! Would I do it again? Hell yes. Cafť Racer next I think.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve

Sir Ewok
19-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Very Nice bike, well done....