View Full Version : carb issues 2

GOBB
01-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Can anybody help am i doing something wrong

https://youtu.be/N8ooUuESaxQs

Appologies for termanology

Friar Tuck
02-11-2015, 05:55 AM
Somebody on here should be able to help you, matey.

harry
02-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Hi Gobb you are right about your throttle cables but it might be easier to get new ones.

As to the carbs you aint got a problem. The throttle mechanism you are twisting opens a butterfly valve on the same spindle inside the carb, the engine then sucks air through the valve causing a partial vacuum behind the slide ( the bit you don't see moving) above the slide is a chamber with a diapfragm in it the partial vacuum pulls upwards on that diaphragm which lifts the slide to allow more air and fuel to enter the engine.

In short it wont move untill the engine is running.

But they have been known to seize up especially when laid up for long periods.
So without the motor running try and gently lift the slide with a finger nail, you should feel resistance but it should lift smoothly.

If you can't get yer finger in there, its ok to use a small screwdriver very gently don't ram it in there as there is a needle under the slide that controls the amount of fuel fed to the engine. Bend it and its f***ed

Hope that helps

GOBB
02-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Yep that all makes sense mate i will get in tge garage after wirk and see how i get on thanks

GOBB
02-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Hay Harry
thanks for your advice yer the carbs move freely inside and can be reached by finger its really frustrating as u can hear it trying to start but it just wont go😠😠
when the fuel tap is on petrol leeks out f 1 of the air filters ( im guessing a sticky float) i just cant workout why she wont run

Any ideas or suggestions will be great

I will try post somemore vids tonight when i get home

GOBB
02-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Still struggling to think any advice would be awsome
More videos*
https://youtu.be/ZV8goOay9B4

https://youtu.be/EA4nNMNMMos

Before anybody says it i know i shouldnt of held the starter in so long ive already*
been rebriefed by my brother

ALFIEBEARD
02-11-2015, 09:15 PM
I think the TCI could be failing causing a poor spark under compression its under the seat in a tin case, also the timing on Virago,s is fixed therefore not adjustable and is controlled by the TCI.

It could also be the starter motor drawing too much current robbing the coils of voltage destroying the spark under compression, you could try powering the starter motor with a different battery this would allow the TCI and the coils to receive full voltage while the other battery does the cranking;)

Looking at the video's the cylinders are getting fuel albeit possibly in the wrong quantities so it should be firing at least. I would be careful allowing it to flood and spraying easystart in it as you may fill the crankcase or exhausts with fuel. and you and the bike might end up a roman candle.

Just my opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it:)

GOBB
03-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Thanks alfie 👍👍 i will give these ideas a go and see how i get on

GOBB
05-11-2015, 08:27 PM
And boom a big cloud of shit leaving me looking like a black and white minstrel and shes a runner😆😆😆😆

Thanks all for your advice

harry
05-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Sorted well done :D

Friar Tuck
06-11-2015, 05:56 AM
Good Ole Harry! He knows everyfink!

Grav
07-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Does he know the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Friar Tuck
08-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Why not ask him?

strima
08-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Does he know the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European?

harry
08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
As I teach my victims (students) it is not important to know stuff just to know where to find the correct information. :D

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

ALFIEBEARD
08-11-2015, 08:17 PM
And boom a big cloud of shit leaving me looking like a black and white minstrel and shes a runner��������

Thanks all for your advice

Nice one !!

Alfie

Friar Tuck
12-11-2015, 04:59 AM
As I teach my victims (students) it is not important to know stuff just to know where to find the correct information. :D

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

That flew right over my head!

Grav
12-11-2015, 10:08 PM
African or European?
African of course. European Swallows are non migratory or it could be the other way round. It's like counting to three. I always get to five first for some reason.....

Friar Tuck
13-11-2015, 05:50 AM
African of course. European Swallows are non migratory or it could be the other way round. It's like counting to three. I always get to five first for some reason.....

That's odd that is!.....

BikerGran
13-11-2015, 05:00 PM
No it's just Grav...........

Friar Tuck
14-11-2015, 05:09 AM
1,3,5.... they're all odd in my book! Grav's not odd! Just plain bloody weird!.....

Grav
19-11-2015, 12:29 AM
It's a hobby..... ;)

critch
19-11-2015, 04:52 PM
its not a hobby when its a way of life...........;)

Grav
20-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Damn, rumbled again....

Snigger.... :D