PDA

View Full Version : no numbers on engine!

alf
15-09-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm looking for some advice please I've got a huc frame and have been offered an engine to put in it but the engine has no numbers so how (if I can) would I register it with the DVLA as neither the frame or engine ?

harry
15-09-2015, 09:17 PM
This is on the edge of my knowledge. But I expect DVLA are going to need receipts etc to demonstrate that the engine and frame aren't nicked.

The fact they don't have numbers is a worry. Are they ground off ?

Friar Tuck
16-09-2015, 02:11 AM
It is a possibility that the engine came off of a written off motorbike. I worked for a short period for Universal Salvage in Corby before it was swallowed up by Rockingham Raceway.

I had to de-identify cars and bikes that had been written off by the insurance companies and by removing the VIN plates (grinding/cutting out with an angle grinder), Frame nos, and engine nos. (usually hand stamped stamped out with XXXX's). And any other form of Vehicle identification, usually chemical etching on windows and lights. This was done to ensure that the vehicle was not bought and re introduced into the car/bike market as they were deemed beyond economical repair, and usually beyond repair full stop!

If the engine no. on yours has been ground off then I suspect the engine has been knocked off! Sometimes if you use engineers blue you can identify the no. if the grinding off has been done quickly and not too deeply. Then armed with this info you may be able to find out if the engine is kosher or not. I suspect it may not be. however if the no. has been stamped out, I suspect that the engine was salvaged from a breakers yard, and was bought to be used as spares only. This should have had a certificate issued by the yard stating that the engine is fit only for spares use only.

Personally I would dump the engine and look for another. I hope you didn't pay top dollar for it?

Friar Tuck
16-09-2015, 02:19 AM
If you have a frame with no number (is it a newly constructed customised frame or a modified one?) you would have to get it registered with the DVLA, who should issue you with a frame no to stamp on it. My knowledge is very limited on going about this. There are peeps on here who have done this and should be able to help you infinitely better than me.

I warn you though that when you have finally crafted the machine of your dreams you will be issued with a Q plate. This would only really affect the value of the machine if you plan to restore an original bike/car though and wish to keep it's authenticity!

Creature
16-09-2015, 03:15 PM
i have 4 honda cb1000 big one super four engines - none of them have engine numbers stamped on them.

Friar Tuck
17-09-2015, 04:58 AM
Oh Blimey!........

beef
17-09-2015, 02:48 PM
as for getting a frame number for a newly built frame. write to dvla kits and rebuilds section. they issue you with a frame number and the paperwork needed to register it

Creature
17-09-2015, 03:36 PM
as for getting a frame number for a newly built frame. write to dvla kits and rebuilds section. they issue you with a frame number and the paperwork needed to register it

they now wanna see pics of the bike built first now

beef
17-09-2015, 07:33 PM
they now wanna see pics of the bike built first now

didnt a few weeks back when i wrote to them.
i needed to state what i had done. ie new frame using a donor engine. and then they sent the vin number and paperwork.
the paperwork asks for proof and reciepts and pics but not for the intial letter.
there are forms for where the bits have come from and proof is needed.
one is for the stamping of the vin on the frame.
and then the ones for the request for a reg number.

and no reg number will be issued with out the sva and mot certs being submitted...

that is where i am up to now. few last bits then tests.

alf
18-09-2015, 05:46 AM
Hi thanks very much for all the advice
The frame is from HUC so I'm only presuming it has no numbers at this point

Since posting this I've got the following information on the engine

It was bought back from the police so it's genuine but does this mean it's for use as spares only? I will be buying it for a very trustworthy friend at a good price but just wanna cover my ass just incase

matthewmosse
20-09-2015, 11:03 PM
It is also possible to have an un numbered engine if it is a factory warrantee repair - my engine on my 500/4 has no number, or ever has had one, the space is still the original satin cast finnish, not ground off, welded and ground off or anything, the owners groug have confirmed that this was known and not that uncommon back in those days if not now - I don't do bikes that aint eligible for cheap classic cover.