PDA

View Full Version : cornering atrike

corky
16-06-2015, 08:21 PM
just bought a new Yamaha xvs1300 trike.went round my first roundabout,the trike did its best to take me into the kerb.it understeered that badly.ive been a biker for fifty years.how do you corner these things

BikerGran
16-06-2015, 08:50 PM
You have to actively steer a trike, it's not like a bike! Specially if it has a standard bike front end, cos after all it's not designed for the job it's doing.

To turn right, pull on the right bar and push on the left. Go slowish to start with, it gets easier and after a while you'll wonder what the problem was!

You can improve the steering by fitting custom extended Yokes and wide bars, obviously at some cost - that's what I've done with my Kwak GT550 trike.

BikerGran
16-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Oh and Hi Corky! I see you're new here - welcome!

Friar Tuck
17-06-2015, 04:05 AM
Greetins frum Naarfuck, Corky!

Fill in that there User CP up on the left hand side, and tell us where you are from, what you do, etc. Coz we're nosy like that....!

BigBod
17-06-2015, 10:10 AM
If your still struggling after you've had it a while, leading links are a great way forward but expensive, or, get the front end raked. Normally 4 - 6 degrees does the trick to make the steering much lighter.

corky
17-06-2015, 10:59 AM
thanks everyone for the advice.i will give it some time before I change anything,just had a couple of omg moments.the trikes rock steady on the straights,i think im still trying to ride it like a two wheeler.

devon-tony
17-06-2015, 12:21 PM
yeah that might be the problem, I find that leaning does bugger all on the trike, except get me too near to the rear tyre :)

been working on getting my knee down

BikerGran
17-06-2015, 09:08 PM
You're not alone Corky - took my trike to a workshop for some small job, the boss wasn't there but someone else was standing in as he was away. Stand-in bloke did the job and took it out for a test ride - when he came back he said "How the hell do you steer this thing?"

It#s really just a knack, at that stage I'd forgotten it was ever difficult.

devon-tony
18-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Wait till you get to enjoy the experience that is a long ride along a road with serious camber. Lol

markju
19-06-2015, 03:15 AM
Just takes a little practice corky. Once you get used to it, and trust me it won't take long, you'll wonder what the fuss was. It will feel perfectly natural.
When I first rode mine it was a complete bastard. Pulled constantly to the left and it was a struggle to keep it in a straight line. Bit of investigation showed rear tyre pressures were unbalanced and headstock and front wheel bearings were knackered. Sorted that and completely different ride. Easily steer with one hand now and corners effortlessly

However as yours goes perfectly ok on a straight, then it's just a case of getting used to it. Enjoy it.

BigBod
19-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Riding a trike is a piece of piss after a sidecar outfit...

Friar Tuck
20-06-2015, 04:56 AM
*Yells from a very long distance away*

"LIKE RIDING A BIKE WITH STABILISERS!"

*runs like f**k!*

corky
20-06-2015, 09:39 AM
hi everyone,took the trike on a long ride yesterday,picked a road with the most roundabouts and bends I could find.and after about 10 miles I got it.the push &pull thing is instinctive after a while. no problem cornering now.

BikerGran
20-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Hooray!

http://i49.tinypic.com/rk54ra.gif

Friar Tuck
21-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Well done that man!

matthewmosse
21-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Lol, well done on that one:thumbsu: I still vividly remember my first sidecar and learning to controll that. Being a chicken I asked the seller to deliver it rather than ride it home. So glad I did that as it was very hard work til I had it figured out. Plus I may have visited the wrong side of the white lines a few times. Not an issue up where I live as there is virtually no traffic and sigle track roads, but on proper roads it would not have been fun. As you found once used to the technique then it is a pice of cake anx dare I say it in some ways double the fun of a solo 2 wheeler. :D

harry
21-06-2015, 09:55 AM
When I sold my trike I offered advice to the buyer. He rejected it entirely saying he knew exactly how to ride. I had brought it out of the garage and it was parked outside facing away from the garage door.

He managed to hit the garage and rip off one of the rear mudguards. :confused: