PDA

View Full Version : John Hopkins R.I.P.

John Hopkins
24-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi I'm Wendy Hazelwood.

John was my Dad, He passed away Monday 20th April in his sleep. We don't know why yet.

you can email me on wendymariehazelwood@gmail.com

I'm sorry he's gone x

devon-tony
24-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Oh god. Im so sorry.

harry
24-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Don't know what to say. Condolences to all his family and his friends on here and elsewhere.

RIP John you are missed already

John Hopkins
25-04-2015, 08:51 AM
In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Louisiana State University .

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

The elephant turned to face the man and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned and walked away. Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same fucking elephant.

This is one of those heart-warming bullshit stories my dad loves to tell.

Sir Ewok
25-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Heartfelt condolences on the passing of your dad, we all shared a lot of laughs together and he will be sorely missed.

Friar Tuck
25-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I am truly Shocked! This forum will not be the same without John. I am so glad I met him at Southwold last year!

My Heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

strima
25-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Fucking hell, very bad news.

I think this news deserves its own thread.

Scoobydoo
25-04-2015, 05:55 PM
I've just read a thread to say John Hopkins has passed away . I'm hopping it's not correct but if it is I'm lost for words, I've never met John even though I go to Aberystwyth three or for times a year but it's been one of my aims to shake his hand . So tonight I'm going to have a drink and raise my glass to John Hopkins R.I.P

Strider
25-04-2015, 06:52 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Just read the other thread, he will be so so so missed on here, bugger!!!

Devestated to hear of his family's loss. if his daughter can keep us informed I'm sure there must be a few that would like to pay our respects in person if possible

Strider
25-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Fucking hell, very bad news.

I think this news deserves its own thread.

It has now

100%Pat
25-04-2015, 08:25 PM
I never met John and I'm sad about that, although we had words about this forum at times, I know he always had its best interests at heart and I respect him for that, I will always be grateful for all the time and effort he put in to this place, without him it would have folded long ago.
A daft, funny and extremely interesting man... the forum will be a lesser place without him.
Goodnight John, sleep tight mate...xxx

100%Pat
25-04-2015, 08:38 PM
I've made the other post a sticky and messaged huw to try to merge these comments with that thread as a memorial thread for john...

xxx please post your condolences for his family on there... Hopefully Wendy will feel up to letting us know when john's funeral is so people can make the trip...

BikerGran
25-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I never met him but was thinking I might when I got over to Wales - seemed a nice bloke with a great sense of humour, he'll be missed.

My best wishes to his family.

His daughter Wendy said He passed away Monday 20th April in his sleep. We don't know why yet.

All I can say is, when you have to go, there couldn't be a better way. My dad went suddenly like that and once we got over the shock we could be glad for him.

The Beer Monsters
25-04-2015, 09:44 PM
I've made the other post a sticky and messaged huw to try to merge these comments with that thread as a memorial thread for john...
Done. I'm going to miss the daft bugger.

Shep
25-04-2015, 09:53 PM
So sorry to read this.
Never met John, I would have liked to. He'll be missed.

Sincere condolences to Wendy and all the rest of his family.

Blue
25-04-2015, 10:48 PM
He was one of the people who kept this forum alive and not just that, he made it an interesting and enthralling place. Not just this forum, but the world is a quieter and sadder place without him. Safe home, John, safe home.

mickturate
26-04-2015, 05:24 AM
I did meet John, he came to stay for a night on one of his journeys trying to find dry away from the rain that found him with such accuracy...
(and delight for the rest of us)

A gent. true proper gent, who would probably take the piss at these words :rolleyes:

Honour, love & respect, indeed.

Rest In Peace John

whistler
26-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Never met John, but he was the heart of the forum. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Dusty
26-04-2015, 09:23 AM
A great sadness, John lived in the next town to me and I met him a couple of times. A great loss to us but even more so for his family who he lived for. RIP fella, safe journey.

harry
26-04-2015, 09:52 AM
We met John, he came to Somerset for a funeral of a man he never met, but as a stalwart of MAGs beginnings John respected his memory.

As Mickturate says John was an old fashioned gent.

Grav
26-04-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't get to visit here often these days, looking after the 100% facebook page takes some bloody doing at times. However I do pop in whenever I can to see how everyone is and to read John's posts as there was always something that made me smile. He truly is one of the finest characters this forum has ever had. Sleep well, John. :(

wodda
26-04-2015, 04:09 PM
I never met John but I will miss his posts.
Sincere condolences to Wendy and all his family.

ALFIEBEARD
26-04-2015, 04:26 PM
I also never met John..but his posts and wit often had me in raptures, how very very sad to hear of his passing condolences to the family.:(

Alfie

OLDMAX
26-04-2015, 04:50 PM
So sorry to hear this, John was a real inspiration and came over as a great person, cant believe weve lost him!
R.I.P. John, give your wife a good hug now.
All the best to family and friends

John Hopkins .... Love and Respect .

SS2
26-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Sincere condolences to all family and friends. He was a character right enough. He'll be a massive miss on here.

matthewmosse
26-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Sad to hear this, condolences to the family. Like a fair few here I never met John but respected his contributions to this forum, and will miss his contributions.

wendy
26-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Thank you guys, your kind words mean the world to me!!

gooseneck
27-04-2015, 07:20 AM
A very sad loss to the community, such a fine man as John.

kidhaf
27-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Shit just logged on to this .....I never met john but shared in travels via the forum. We would trade insults all in good humour and never with any malicious intent. The world is a colder place for his passing.

The folk down south can rest a bit easier knowing John was passing or even close many members would dig out the waterproofs. Although the rain followed him it never dampened his spirits.

So Long John I hope that the roads are dry where ever you are.

markju
27-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Only ever looked on this forum as a guest, but feel the need to register so I can express my condolences as well.
Always enjoyed reading what John had written and I feel this forum/ community has lost a great character.

Condolences to his family.

Mark

wurzel
27-04-2015, 10:32 AM
:-(

Not a lot else to say really

BigBod
27-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Bollox, wasn't expecting this when I logged in...

RIP mate...

Mortis
27-04-2015, 07:18 PM
R.I.P John, I never met you either but you faced adversity with a quip and a good attitude. Good old fashioned values that should never have gone out of fashion.

The Beer Monsters
27-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Got an email from Wendy - it's going to be a private cremation and she'll have her mam and dad safe.

Strider
27-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Got an email from Wendy - it's going to be a private cremation and she'll have her mam and dad safe.

Me too, I hope she will read some of the comments .......... can any of the mods send a mail with the comments on the thread about her dad???

The Beer Monsters
27-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Me too, I hope she will read some of the comments .......... can any of the mods send a mail with the comments on the thread about her dad???
Already done. I've also emailed her stuff from the local community in Tredegar about her dad.

kidhaf
28-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Already done. I've also emailed her stuff from the local community in Tredegar about her dad.

How about posting the stuff on here from Tredegar. Be nice to read about John he was one of a kind.

critch
28-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I too never even met john, but reading what he wrote always brought a smile to my lips . he was a true gent and will be sadly missed, see you on the long road john, take care

Bosun
29-04-2015, 05:09 AM
RIP sad news

Biker Buster
29-04-2015, 02:45 PM
I am gutted, he came to stay with us a couple of years back on one of his famous tours. He was an absolute star.

Utterly dreadful news.... I wonder if it'll rain where ever he is now ??

Sad news John we will miss you..

Buster & Anne

droid
29-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Never met John, wish I had. He came across as a sound bloke.

Condolences to family and friends.

scanner
29-04-2015, 10:01 PM
ain't been on here for a while and this sad news has been quite a shock, RIP John and all the best to the family

cxdemon
30-04-2015, 04:11 AM
Only just found out about this as i don't at the moment get on here much, i never got the chance to meet John in person, he was always here if i wanted a chat or advise, he'll be missed, condolences to his family.

excalibur
30-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Not often I get on forums nowadays, first visit for a while and I read this. Never met him, but he came across as a good guy. Hopefully he gets to ride in some dry weather now.

Our thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time.

Izzadora
02-05-2015, 08:16 PM
He was one of the reasons I kept looking in even though I am no longer a biker. John's jokes were the best and the worst, made me laugh out loud a lot.

RIP John, ride safe.

:thumbsu:

Friar Tuck
03-05-2015, 05:20 AM
I'm sure john appreciates your sentiments as we all do. And I'm sure john would wish you to still pop in and join in the forum. you don't have to have a bike to be on here, just have the appreciation of bikes and the lifestyle. Don't leave it too long huh?

Cheers
FT

BikerGran
03-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Hey Izzadora - just cos you don't have a bike doesn't mean you're not a biker!

Nufkamp
03-05-2015, 01:38 PM
So very sorry to hear of this.

zeddman
03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear about John.While I Only ever knew him on forum,its such a shame,cos he struck me as one of lifes good guys.........Rest in peace mate

Patch
05-05-2015, 02:52 PM
So sorry to read this, only just logged in after being away.

RIP John

swirl
06-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Rip John, I never met him but read many of his post with a smile, my condolences to his family.

cyberluddite
14-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Only just caught up with this one, and very sad news.
John had a wealth of experience to impart and a voice of moderation when things got heated, always delivered with a dry sense of humour.

R.I.P. John.

mickthecrane
17-05-2015, 07:50 AM
just back off me hols, sad news indeed. a stalwart of this forum.

sincere condolences.

topaz
05-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Hi not been on here for a while i brought one of your dad's book's i am sorry to here he as passed away my condolences to your family.

lowrider
09-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Not been on here for ages, awful news to read

pastyman
10-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Rip John - it was a pleasure to meet you

JamesFende
04-02-2016, 12:59 PM
so sorry for your loss, such sad news

Glyn aka Kingo
27-03-2016, 12:54 PM
I have not been on here for some time, and I am shocked to hear about John, he visited us on his "Ride around Wales" he still lives on with his book of the same title, which stands on my bookshelf, belated condolences from Anita and myself to all the family. R.I.P. John.

Friar Tuck
20-04-2016, 05:54 AM
That Wendy, his daughter, announced John's passing.

We've all missed his acerbic wit, I shall raise a glass in his memory!

wiskers
20-04-2016, 07:18 AM
I often think of John

Definitely a case of gone but not forgotten

Cheers John all the best Dai

The Beer Monsters
20-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Met John in Tredegar.

He was our sort of nutter.

*glass raised*

Friar Tuck
21-04-2016, 06:27 AM
Hear! Hear!

harry
21-04-2016, 09:10 AM
A proper gentleman, He is muched missed RIP

Gee
24-04-2016, 11:14 AM
R.I.P. John

Friar Tuck
14-01-2017, 06:28 AM
John Hopkins would have been 73 today.

May you Rest In Peace, Mate. We raise a glass to you!

Regards
FT!

Sir Ewok
14-01-2017, 01:03 PM
John Hopkins would have been 73 today.

May you Rest In Peace, Mate. We raise a glass to you!

Regards
FT!

Hear! Hear! A Glass of finest Malt Whisky will be raised tonight in honour of one of the old crew........Rest in Peace, Mate. One day we will all be able to tear up that ghostly blacktop together.

Cherokee
29-08-2017, 03:00 AM
Hi I'm Wendy Hazelwood.

John was my Dad, He passed away Monday 20th April in his sleep. We don't know why yet.

you can email me on wendymariehazelwood@gmail.com

I'm sorry he's gone x

Sorry to hear about your Dad Wendy, he's up in Heaven smiling down on us all free of any pain, ailments and cares ! God Bless you and yours !

def
04-10-2017, 08:25 PM
First time I've been on here in years.. Very sad to read this RIP fella..

Friar Tuck
05-10-2017, 04:55 AM
First time I've been on here in years.. Very sad to read this RIP fella..

Welcome back to the forum, Matey. It was a sad day when John went. We've all got a a lot older. All none the wiser! A number of members have moved on, & a few new 'uns have arrived.