PDA

View Full Version : Tax / MOT

wurzel
10-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Got my tax reminder yesterday but cant renew it online as the system says i have no MOT - so checked test certificate and it runs out 28 March as I thought.

Now I am sure in the past when i used to get it at the post office as long as it was valid on the day you were buying they were happy. Does this mean for online we have to get our MOT's done early with a write on before we can buy our Tax ?

Wanted to get it bought pre budget as it never goes down

BikerGran
10-03-2015, 11:23 AM
No the MOT always had to be valid on the day the tax started, ie in your case I guess that's 1 April. It's a bummer I know - been caught that way myself!

wurzel
10-03-2015, 12:19 PM
ok

never had problem in the past must have had a friendly local Post Office with a brain

Shep
10-03-2015, 12:32 PM
I got an MOT on a SORNed bike, went online and taxed it straight away. No wait, no problem.
And you can get an MOT done 28days before the expiry date anyway, and still preserve that date.

BikerGran
10-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Yes but that was a new MOT - wurzel was talking about an MOT that was due to run out before the due date of the tax!

John Hopkins
10-03-2015, 10:09 PM
I can't see the problem, a new MOT costs 25 for a year, that's only 2 a month, tax on the other hand costs 80 a year, just wait until you get this years insurance renewal quote..

I suppose I'm spoiled for MOT's, I have a place about 15 miles away that have never turned me away, no appointment.

I can afford an hour out of my life.

John.

Strider
10-03-2015, 10:10 PM
I can afford an hour out of my life.
John.

Even at your age???? :D:p

John Hopkins
10-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Specially at my age!

John.

100%Pat
11-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Even at your age???? :D:p

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

wurzel
11-03-2015, 11:17 AM
try best part of 2 week wait around here at this time of year for MOT's ever since it computerised there have been zero turn up and queue type places

John Hopkins
11-03-2015, 02:14 PM
I understand that, we don't have a turn up and queue place, we have a turn up and chat and would you like a free cup of hot chocolate while you are waiting, It may be an age thing.. I can't remember the whole thing ever taking more than 1/2 hour..

But that might be an age thing too... Get some time in!

John.

wurzel
11-03-2015, 02:50 PM
well it cant take under 1/2 hour as i believe from booking reg onto system to issue of ticket has to be min 25mins or it won't issue - hence a max number per day each test centre can now do even when making a moped mot take 25 mins is near impossible

John Hopkins
11-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Probably why they offer me a cup of hot chocolate.

John.

BikerGran
11-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Yeah and if you're late cos of traffic they can't even squeeze you in like they used to cos of the minimum time!

slim..
11-03-2015, 08:48 PM
The correct procedure for an MOT takes an average of 20 minutes but this is only a guide & can vary depending on the bike tested & how much tea I want to drink :D

I do not get timed out or unable to produce a certificate quickly but VOSA do keep an eye on what we are doing & if I was producing an MOT every 5 minutes they would investigate & that could result in us loosing a major part of our living this is why most stations stick to the 20 minute guide

Also if we did every mot in exactly 20 minutes they would investigate & the result could be the same

harry
11-03-2015, 10:10 PM
It takes as long as it takes. As Slim says if all tests took 20 minutes that would look suspicious. If you find a defect it has to be investigated further and a decision made (pass fail advise) You might need to consult the manual.
That takes time.

BikerGran
12-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Can you testers tell me what you think about this. My daughter has a VW Sprinter campervan which was MOT'd last November, with no advisories.

Today she heard an odd noise, looked underneath and one of the straps holding the petrol tank had rusted through and was dragging on the ground. When she gave it a pull, it came away at the other end too. :eek:

Isn't this something that would be checked under 'general condition' or bodywork or something like that? And if it had been, do you reckon it could have got that bad since November?

harry
12-03-2015, 07:25 PM
The security of all fuel system components is part of the test. However the test is a snapshot of the condition of the vehicle at the time of test. Also as I am not familiar with the location and accesability of the tank on a sprinter its difficult to say how much it would be visible. No dismantling is allowed so many things are untestable due to their location on individual vehicles.

Having said that there is a system for a reverse appeal so as long as you don't carry out repairs you can appeal the decision to pass the vehicle. Although this rarely happens outside of cases where people have recently bought the vehicle with a newish MoT.

Also there is nowt stopping you talking to the garage and see what they have to say.

strima
12-03-2015, 07:44 PM
As Harry as said, MOT is really only a true indication at the time of test.

I would just fit new straps and have done with it.

John Hopkins
12-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Driving something for four winter months can make quite a difference to the underneath, I would be pleased that I had got the extra four months out of it.

John.

BikerGran
12-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks folks - there's no question of a comeback on the garage, she's just going to get a new strap fitted and the condition of the other checked - I just wanted to be able to reassure her about the garage she's using as she was worried they hadn't picked it up!

She's been recovered and is nearly home! (When she discovered this she was within 20 miles of the end of a 100 mile outward journey!)