PDA

View Full Version : Getting Used to Riding Bobber Bikes

Romper
23-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I have recently converted my 2008 VN900 Custom into a single solo sprung seat Bobber type setup.

I am still trying to get use to it and is hard.

Wanting to know a few tips on eliminating shoulder soreness, soothing a sore bum during the journey with tips on how to maintain the correct posture whilst on the bike?

I ride this bike as a daily commuter to/from work each day with about a 60km round trip. About 10km is Hwy riding and the rest is street riding...

Thoughts on above?

Romper

John Hopkins
24-01-2015, 01:36 PM
It sounds as if you have the wrong distance from the seat to the bars.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the nut between the two.

As for the sore bum, you can't beat a sheepskin cover.

John.

Scoobydoo
24-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Try a jell pad it will raise you slightly and soft for your ass , worth a try !

Romper
24-01-2015, 08:00 PM
thanks guys.

I saw a HD rider yesterday with very straight arms whilst riding.

Is this the correct way/ergonomics to rider a cruiser?

Should my arms be bent at the elbows?

How should my wrists be in relation to the bar grips?

Romper

John Hopkins
24-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Try this..

http://cycle-ergo.com/

John.

Romper
25-01-2015, 09:16 AM
thanks john

harry
25-01-2015, 04:15 PM
IMHO you sould always ride with bent elbows.

John Hopkins
25-01-2015, 05:29 PM
What about bent wrists harry?

John.

harry
25-01-2015, 07:29 PM
What about bent wrists harry?

John.

That's a different forum ;)

John Hopkins
25-01-2015, 07:59 PM
I just asked because that was Rompers forth question.

John.

Romper
25-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks Harry.

Reasons for riding with bent elbows?

Romper

harry
25-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks Harry.

Reasons for riding with bent elbows?

Romper

It alows the steering to do what it's designed to do. Then pressure on the bars alows you to steer.

For instance. A side wind pushes the bike off line the steering geometry corrects and makes the bike stable then we steer it back on line. If your elbows are straight the bike can't correct so the bike starts to fall over and we have to make a bigger correction.

Romper
25-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks Harry.

Should the forearm (from elbow to wrist) be parallel to ground when on the cruiser?

How should the wrist be positioned in relation to the throttle?

Just trying to reduce amount of rotator cuff impingement on my shoulders when riding this cruiser..

Romper

harry
25-01-2015, 11:12 PM
The actual fore arm position depends on the position of the bars and seat. as long as you are comfy and can take most of your weight off the bars that's ok.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.visordown.com/advanced-riding/advanced-motorcycle-riding-course-relax/14859-2.html

I tried to find videos of people doing birdie elbows on a rding course but I can't find them. This is supposed to help you relax your arms but do it on a quiet road cos it looks daft.

Romper
25-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks Harry.

How would i know if my feet are positioned right when sitting on my cruiser?

Not sure if they should be located more forward than what they are now...

Romper

BikerGran
25-01-2015, 11:59 PM
The main problem is whether or not the arms/elbowa are relaxed, cos if your arms are stiff the rest of you will be tense resulting - resulting, as harry said, in preventing the bike from doing what it's built to do, but also creating tension in the rest of your body which creates pain.

Flapping your elbows demonstrates that your arms are relaxed. There isn't really any 'correct' position - except that the correct position for YOU is whatever's comfortable. It's generally a good thing to have a fairly straight line, if you splay your fingers over the levers, a straight line through fingers/wrists/forearms as that reduces tension on the wrists.

If you are having to reach too far that will tend to make your arms too straight and in that case you might want to adjust the bars if that's possible or replace them with some with a bit more pull back.

Having arthritis in my hands and wrists I've learned a fair bit about how NOT to position my arms!

Romper
26-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the input.

I currently have rotator cuff impingement and have had since i first bought and rode this biike in Oct last year.

It is becoming worse and worse and now restricts me from doing normal things like lifting my arms above my head and sleeping and any other movement/motion required of the shoulders...

I have attended to a physio.

I am looking at ways to reduce this impingment.

Romper

gooseneck
26-01-2015, 08:44 AM
forward control footrests wont be helping your position, shoulder or arse, they are meant to look cool, but give a lousy riding position, loading your torso & shoulders, I would look to converting back to mid control footrests.

John Hopkins
26-01-2015, 09:12 AM
I would also look at converting the bike back to standard..

I have ridden a VN for 24hours non stop (apart from fuel) and found it very comfortable.. Also up to the axles in mud and across mountain roads so I know they can be comfortable.. The sheepskin on the seat helps..

John.

Romper
26-01-2015, 10:00 AM
thanks guys.

i have not changed the position of the foot control footrests on this VN - are they classed as mid position in stock form?

otherwise, looks like i'm cooked as i got rid of all the standard stuff.

probably have to ditch the bike now or offload it for peanuts...

Romper

BikerGran
26-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Show us a pic of the bike, we may be able to make suggestions!

And where are you - maybe there's someone in your area who can help?

John Hopkins
26-01-2015, 11:54 AM
The bike is at the top of the thread Gran and the rider is in Australia.

But he is right, Due to his health problems it may be a good idea to trade it in..A photo of the rider on the bike may help and maybe floorboards and different bars..

John.

BikerGran
26-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks John. It certainly doesn't look too comfortable for anyone with shoulder problems.

You say 'sell it for peanuts' Romper - do bobbers not get a decent price in Oz?

Romper
27-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys.

I will post some pics with me on the bike later this week.

BikerGran - care to elaborate on why the bike does not look too comfortable for people with shoulder problems? Very interested.

I also need to advise that I have been wearing a dianese leather suit every day since i began riding it last October. In particular the leather top has stiff shoulder plastic guards built into the lining of the jacket. Wondering if these hard shoulder guards may be causing the impingement into my shoulders as I spread my arms out holding the handlebars on the cruiser?

I think this dianese leather suit is more suited for pro sports racing for bikes...?

Romper

BikerGran
27-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Looking at it from my point of view - I can only explain with these crude pics I made.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1zp3xxu.jpg

On the bobber, the arms are raised at a much greater angle than on my trike, which obviously puts more strain on the shoulders.

Also the forward pegs mean that your whole torso forms a single curve, instead of the more natural S shape when sitting on my trike, and that also puts stress on the shoulders. If your feet were further back, your body would naturally move forward a bit - you can try it while sitting astride a chair.

I have touring pegs on the trike (where the orange blobs are) but can only use them for short distances unless I'm travelling with camping gear on, in which case I strap a sleeping bag or similar to my pillion seat to rest against to take the stress off my back, and I just use them to stretch my legs for a while.

Hope you can understand my rather rambling explanation!

John Hopkins
27-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Here's mine

As you can see the heel toe shifter is further back, I'm about 5'9".

John.

Romper
27-01-2015, 06:37 PM
wow- thanks for the effort on those posts.

good explanations.

do u think those hard plastic shoulder pads would contribute to the imgingement i have in the shoulders?

romper

matthewmosse
27-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Regards the body armour / shoulder pads, when I bought my bike jackett over 12 years ago, I tired on every remotely likely jacket in 3 shops including some very big shops before selecting one with no more than padding in the shoulders and elbows, I found the armoured ones to be really uncomfortable, and wanted above all else to be comfortable. It might be an idea to spend a bit of time in the leathers but not on the bike, see if they are a part of the problem. Before now I havd come home ftom work and gone out to help round up sheep still attired in full bike leathers and waterproofs. Bad timing on my parents part to need help so urgently that I couldn't change out of the bike gear but it proves the leathers don't restrict my moving around if I can chase sheep in that lot. Despite the lack of anything more than padding they still do their job, I have comd off a few times over the years, mostly on ice or mud and grit loose on the roads and the only injury has been when the bike landed full onto my foot and sort of crushed it, only a fracture rather than anything badly smashed, so the leathers are still effective. I reacon a set of armoured leathers wouldn't have been any better.
worth looking into.

Romper
27-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks Matthew.

Would have a been an interesting sight watching you round up sheep in your leathers....:D

Funny thing is - that I do not feel any discomfort when in the leathers. Nor do i feel any pain in my shoulders when riding the bike in these leathers...

???

ROmper

SS2
27-01-2015, 10:03 PM
My Fat Bob's a similar riding position and while I've been known to get bad shoulder pain when I've owned cruisers/chops etc in the past, I get none with this un due to the seat. It holds me securely in place and actually forces me upright and forward. Yours looks like once those springs are compressed your seat will be sloping backwards and your arse will be on the rear mudguard. I can imagine that hurting anyone after a while. Modified seat might be all it needs?

Good luck!

Romper
28-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Thanks SS2.

What sort of seat modification do you suggest?

ROmper

Romper
28-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Some photos of me sitting on bike..

Thoughts?

Romper

John Hopkins
28-01-2015, 09:48 AM
First thought is gravity..

seriously the main problem seems to be the bars, your back is hunched forward to reach them, this must put a strain on your back over any distance and also make control more difficult.

John.

Romper
28-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks John,

Yeah gravity has now been reversed and put photos right way up ...:-)

My back does not hurt at all when riding, and i am comfortable with the amount of control i have/feel as it seems not too difficult to control.

Do you think this riding position would put strain on my shoulders?

Romper

harry
28-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Round up sheep still attired in full bike leathers and waterproofs..

I don't think its appropriate to mention this while John is listening ;)

SS2
28-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks SS2.
What sort of seat modification do you suggest?
ROmper

Now I've seen the pics of you sat on the bike the riding position doesn't look too extreme. If you feel like you're arse is securely planted when you're riding mebbe the seat isn't the problem. If you feel like you're hangin on for grim death or liable to be blown off the back the whole time then mebbe summat with more of a bucket shape to it would help.

Dunno mate. good luck though.

Romper
28-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks SS2.

The seat is fine. My Ar$$ is planted fairly well.

It's just the shoulders that are giving me grief...

DO you think the photos show any indication of adverse handlebar setup that could affect the shoulders?

Romper

scanner
28-01-2015, 08:12 PM
if you take you hands off the bars and sit more upright so that you shoulders are straight rather than haunched and so you arms are bent and comfortable does it relieve your shoulder problem? if so then aonother set of bars with more rise and more pullback may be your answer,if not then the search continues.

i'm only 5'2 and have an 1100 shadow and a 650 savage,my legs are quite stretched but not my arms but i have buckhorns on both which have quite a lot of pull back, on the trike beach bars which not very high are quite swept back ,these are comfy also

scanner
28-01-2015, 08:15 PM
by the way nice bike

Romper
28-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks Scanner.

Romper

matthewmosse
29-01-2015, 05:17 PM
I don't think its appropriate to mention this while John is listening ;)

Don't worry, there was no sinister motive for chasing sheep, we merely wished to send yhem to graduate at ogine unviersity, prior to an exemplery set of careers in freezer infill and oven warming. Just the usual sheep career path, nothing 'rock and roll':rolleyes:

John Hopkins
29-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Huh..

Let's be honest..

We shag them, then you eat them..

John.

scanner
29-01-2015, 07:43 PM
and that's why i don't eat lamb :D