PDA

View Full Version : new bike on das

twig
05-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Thought I posted this earlier but I lost it . Recently dobe my mod 2 and im looking to ditch my Chinese 125(yea I know. U can stop laughing now:o) looking at something a bit sporty thats good in town and on the open road was thinking something like a cbr or duville. But people keep telling me I should go for the bandit 600. Whats better? I have a low budget of around 2k that's the problem.

John Hopkins
06-01-2015, 01:36 AM
It's all a matter of personal choice..

You can pick up a good bike for under 1000 with a years MOT.. My suggestion would be to buy a bike without a fairing so that it is easier to work on and without drop handlebars to make it easier to ride and get a workshop manual..

Most of us do our own repairs and maintenance so we can give you help if you get stuck..

Fill in the User cp up there on the left so that people know a bit about you..

John.

twig
06-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Thanks for that. I do all my own repairs on the Chinese bikes ive had and ive heard that Chinese are probably the most confusing to work on. And I know how to strip a bike and rebuild soi think that's half the battle won already. So whats better chain driven or shaft driven?
I'll get my user cp filled out today

BikerGran
06-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Personally I'm all for shaft drive cos it shouldn't need any attention for long periods. Rather than checking, oiling, adjusting and then replacing chain and sprockets every so often.

But I'm biased cos I've had a shafty for years!

SS2
06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
I used to be a shafty man years ago but these days with 'O' ring/'X' ring chains I wouldn't worry either way. Last few chains I've had haven't needed adjusting till about 18,000 miles:eek:

Oh and you did post this before Twig, cos I replied to your first post :D

John Hopkins
06-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I have two shafties and one chain, I would go for a shaft drive.

John.

scanner
06-01-2015, 07:57 PM
i.ve 1 shaftie and 1 belt,which is damed expensive if you have to replace it

twig
07-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Hhmmm so I think I'll look into shaft driven then but wont rule out chain driven. Any tips on what to check when buying a second hand bike?
Obviously buying a second hand car u kick the wheel n thats the decider:D but anything specific to check when buying a bike?

SS2
07-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Take somebody who's clued up would be my advice. Plenty advice out there on things to look out for but having someone there that knows what's what is invalueable. Buying bikes is properly exciting and even hardened bike buyers get carried away and buy a lemon occassionally when the Phwooar gotta have it buttons been pressed;)

wurzel
07-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Also experienced sellers can spot newbies and may try and get one over on you whereas the presence of someone who obviously knows what they are looking at can flip the honesty switch in them

excalibur
07-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Hardtail, softail? stretched out chop, compact streetfighter?

If your handy with the spanners one of Butlers frames and a cheap bandit?

BikerGran
07-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Take somebody who's clued up would be my advice. Plenty advice out there on things to look out for but having someone there that knows what's what is invalueable. Buying bikes is properly exciting and even hardened bike buyers get carried away and buy a lemon occassionally when the Phwooar gotta have it buttons been pressed;)

Exactly that!

twig
07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys

John Hopkins
08-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Buy a cheap compression tester, ask how to use it, then check each pot, on a sound engine they will be pretty much the same, take a spare spark plug and plug spanner and just pull the cap off any plug, fit the cap to the spare and press the thread against the metal of the engine, start the engine and look for a spark.. Replace the cap on the old sparkplug and repeat this test for each spark.. This will show that the ignition works on each cylinder.. Get someone to hold the bike upright and look along the edge of the wheels for a straight edge each side for frame damage.. look at how the rear wheel lines up between the swinging arm (rear forks), look for uneven tyre wear on the sides, not too much because we all lean on curves, but smooth one side and unworn on the other is bad.

John.

Strider
08-01-2015, 08:34 PM
John, its a nightmare to actually get to the plug caps and leads on most bikes these days with fairings, never mind use a compression tester

excalibur
08-01-2015, 11:00 PM
How many custom bikes have fairings?

BikerGran
08-01-2015, 11:13 PM
But twig's looking for 'something sporty'

excalibur
09-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Sorry, missed that bit, just assumed being on here he was after a chop or something. In that case I have no idea