PDA

View Full Version : New motorbike law in USA

John Hopkins
29-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I picked this up from a USA forum I use.

A day before re-registering the '99 Drifter 1500, I learnt that there is a $750 defect fine for non-original exhaust - this is regardless of Db. $1500 for second offence and $3000 and confiscation of m/c for a third offence. The m/c shops won't do a roadworthy if you have a non original exhaust - even though they have no sound testing equipment, and a noise test is not part of the requirement - the RTA went around and put the wind up all of them.

I went to the car garage that does the family cars, and got it done there. As I don't ride in a (large) outlaw group, I am not likely to be pulled over on the Freeway. However, Police cars have photo recognition and noise detection running on their computers. The cops don't even know that you have been detected - the car computer just sends it to the big computer, and you get a notice in the mail - hands free.

Wonderful to be living in a free country , isn't it !!!

SS2
29-12-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm betting that's a Californian thing, not nationwide.

Shite though if there's any truth in it.

Sir Ewok
30-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Surely some twats must have voted for this, so bikers should harass their congressman regarding repealing the law. They managed it with crash helmets......

John Hopkins
30-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I just asked for more information and it's a lot worse than I thought..It's not the USA it's New South Wales in Australia...

That could mean it will be here soon.

John.

SS2
31-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Ah that makes more sense than it happening in 'the land of the free'. New South Wales are doing there very best to legislate bikers/bikies off the road. How the fella that keeps harrassing the MC's down there is still upright is beyond me:thumbd:

BikerGran
31-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't think we need panic about the NSW laws coming to britain - not yet anyway. They haven't even made it to other Oz states!

harry
31-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I just asked for more information and it's a lot worse than I thought..It's not the USA it's New South Wales in Australia...

That could mean it will be here soon.

John.

I looked into their rules when I was doing some technical work for Vosa and their rules have always been draconian.

One I remember is that for SVA Msva etc any welding has to be done by a coded welder with certificates to show what was done.

BikerGran
31-12-2014, 09:22 PM
A neighbour of ours emigrated to Oz - he built a kit car and was racing against time to get it registered cos if he didn;'t, he couldn't get it registered in Oz!

Mitch
03-01-2015, 07:06 PM
John, it's the Super MoT regs – the same sort of thing that the EU Commission wanted to bring in. We've beaten it for now, however, all the European Riders' Rights organisations are keeping vigilant.