PDA

View Full Version : darkside riding

pastyman
03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
evening all,
got another quezzie for ya, has anyone ever gone what the call darkside with there rear tyre on there bikes????
if you have, what do you reckon on it and what are the pros and cons of doing it

cheers

harry
03-12-2014, 10:09 PM
If by "darkside" you mean fitting car tyres on a bike.

It's a prohibital offence ie they can prevent you from riding your bike if you get caught. Your insurance would be invalid. Only some sizes (I think it's 15 or 16 inch rims) will fit due to different bead types.

We had a car engined bike turn up for test with car tyres because he couldn't find a bike tyre to carry the weight. He appealed against the failure so the tyre manufacturer was contacted, they threatened to sue him, summat to do with product liabillity I think.

John Hopkins
03-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Nearest thing I have done to darkside is Avon speedmaster Mkll's..

John.

harry
04-12-2014, 06:24 PM

John.

They were pretty awful.

andyc
04-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Deathmasters were proper tyres
And they lasted for ages

devon-tony
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
from memory 16" is the optimal, 17 and 18 are very different sizes, I was sodding about with bike tyres on car rims and found it all very different, the fitting of the wall into the rim isnt the same, and they dont fit easy,

theres a couple of rocket III in town that have or have had car tyres on the rear, seemed stupid to me, if you can afford a 10k bike to put a 40 quid tyre on it LOL

devon-tony
08-12-2014, 05:04 PM
also its not pleasant to ride, I rode a bike with a 255 car rear tyre, to get it round a corner it was a balancing act it either wanted to flop over or back upright and you go straight on LOL

high profile and really low air pressure was improvement but I never felt safe doing it

ChopperFXR
13-12-2014, 11:06 AM

John.

I had one of the Avon Skidmasters on my A10 chop. Very interesting handling with 12" over springers and apehangers. Handled like a sick camel on wooden roller skates. Bloody awful it was. I bought an Avon Road Runner and could nearly enjoy riding the bike. Then I found out about Pirrelli Phantoms and found that even in the wet I could go round bends in a curve rather than half a dozen zigzag twitches combined with severe buttock clenching.

Lost count of the amount of times the back end stepped out with the Skidmaster on it. Fucking thing nearly killed me several times.

Chopper

Sir Ewok
13-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Fucking thing nearly killed me several times.

Chopper

You know what they say..... Nearly's not good enough. :unsure:

matthewmosse
13-12-2014, 04:25 PM
I have done a lot of miles with avon sm mk11 tyres on my 500/4 and bmw r80 rt. The 500/4 had a sidecar on and these tyres are ideal for that job, also on my bmw r90/6 sidecar they were quite excellent, in terms of handling and tyre life, though I found new, the tyres wore out about twice as fast as if you kept em on a shelf for a year or two, or bought old part worns. On the bmw solo r80, they were also great, gripped just fine, didn't fell like the bike was twisting on white lines like the horrid Pirellis the bike came with. I went through most of my winter milage on these and miss having a bike with them on the back every winter. My current selection of bikes for the last 4 years have been on modern sized Pirelli tyres a good few inches wider and they suck balls in comparison to a bike on Avon 400/18 sm mk11 rears. I geuss riding style might come into it, and bike desighn. I have never tried a set of car tyres on a bike, closest thing I have tried is mini tyres on the sidecar, fine, good for being able to slide the chair sideways which seems to me to infer the Avon sm on the bike was gripping better.

pastyman
22-12-2014, 06:49 PM
cheers all, as said was just a random quezzie as its a thing that has cropped up a few times on random websites that i visit :thumbsu: