PDA

View Full Version : winter riding

pastyman
26-11-2014, 06:46 AM
was out for a ride the other day and noticed that know the colder weather is coming in you see less and less bikes on the road.

so i was wondering - if you do hang up your gloves for the winter, when do you normally do it and why??

me personally i hang mine up when the ice/fog comes in, and obviously when its snowing, but i find i do question it earlier because i cant find a decent/warm pair of winter gloves so i seem to stay in summer gloves all year round but stop for a smoke and a hand warm more often

matthewmosse
26-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Depends on what bike I have, sidecar outfit when running I'still drag it out to go to work in up to 5 to 6 inches of snow, my bmw r80 rt I've rode over the Breacon road with a white layer of slush over the most of the road and keeping it to the tyre tracks, the narrow tyres on my 70s bikes definitely seemed to grip better tha the wide tyres of the bikes I now run. Frost caused me to drop a 250 on my foot last year and I passed my car test, so I may start wuss out now on the grounds that I don't reacon the ntv would stand up to being dropped on ice like a bm on crash bars and has fat tyres that mean it will more likely get dropped. On the other hand the sidecar outfit is slowly comming back from the dead so I may yet venture out in icy weather.

Strider
26-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Usually its about now ............ used to ride all round years ago, but I don't get any enjoyment in riding when there is snow ice, frost, cold.

Even if it is "just" cold, by the time you put on all the cold weather gear, you are sweating like a blind lesbian in a Grimsby fish market and then freeze when you wobble out the end of the drive.

I am at the point in life where I have to enjoy my riding, I have a car, which is warm and dry and much safer in shit weather, don't have to prove anything to anyone by riding a bike in crap weather.

The bike usually comes back out around March(ish)

BigBod
26-11-2014, 12:22 PM
As soon as salt goes on the road 2 of the bikes get tucked up for the Winter, salt would kill em...

Have got a winter hack though...twist n go 600cc scooter...zero street cred but wtf...quite good fun though..just getting it together for the Winter now...when I can't be arsed I will be in the car......:rolleyes:

Sir Ewok
26-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Usually its about now ............ used to ride all round years ago, but I don't get any enjoyment in riding when there is snow ice, frost, cold.

Even if it is "just" cold, by the time you put on all the cold weather gear, you are sweating like a blind lesbian in a Grimsby fish market and then freeze when you wobble out the end of the drive.

I am at the point in life where I have to enjoy my riding, I have a car, which is warm and dry and much safer in shit weather, don't have to prove anything to anyone by riding a bike in crap weather.

Same here but would also add that my bones don't heal as quick nowadays, so I try to avoid breaking them.....

SS2
26-11-2014, 12:55 PM

That.. but swap Grimsby fish market for North Shields Fish Quay:D. I don't lay my bikes up cos I like to get out to blow the cobwebs off given half the chance but since my wife sold her bike I haven't got a winter hack so Dec, Jan & Feb are mainly 4 wheels only commuting wise. Gettin owld.

wurzel
26-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Commute all year - buses tend to stop running (or become unpredictably irregular) before the road becomes impassable but when it is really bad I drop to the spare ratty 125 rather than the XJR13

matthewmosse
26-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Aye, the salt nearly did for my 500/4 sidecar, been off the road a few years as I oinda knew it needed work and house rennovating / family mean I didn't have time, when I came to drag it into a workshop I found the rear end was so thin Imcould put a screwdriver through it. Really glad I can fabricate sheet steel and weld well enough to fix it cos I love that bike. In snow it really is great fun, not so much in ice. I struggle to enjoy the car, it's crap for parking, the dull factor is only outweighed by the fuel consumption, but I do also dislike a really hard frost when on the bike, more than snow.I geuss now I can use the car I will, but I may still take the odd chance on milder days for a quick blast and I'm keeping the rebel 125 for icy days if the car is needed for kids.

gooseneck
26-11-2014, 02:31 PM
The big bikes go into hibernation, but the dirt bike keeps on getting used right through.:D

BikerGran
26-11-2014, 06:01 PM

Same again here - except I stop a bit earlier when it starts getting damp and cold, cos I get cramp in hands and feet, even with all my warm gear. That said, the trike's in the garage, taxed tested and insured - if we get a nice day I might go for a short ride!

John Hopkins
26-11-2014, 06:44 PM
First the cold hands..

I fitted heated grips..I switch them on when I get that frozen nip and leave them on until the heat has penetrated my gloves and then I switch them off again, this works out at about a minute, and then the gloves take a while to cool again and I wait for that freezing nip before I switch them on for another minute, that way I don't have to stop, my battery stays charged, and the grips never wear out and I can use my fingers.

Now the riding..

I don't have a car, just a few bikes and I don't use my bus pass unless I am going to pick up a bike..so I am stuck at home unless I use a bike, I've been retired for a long time now so I don't ride to work anymore.. I don't ride in snow and I ride very carefully on ice.. My bikes are all sitting in the garage now and only one is taxed and insured..I don't know when I will ride again but I get a bit twitchy if I am off the road for too long..As I get older I know one day I will be unable to ride anymore so I have to keep at least one bike on the road, When I can't ride anymore it will be time to cash in my chips.

John.

matthewmosse
26-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I fitted two bikes with Oxford heated grips, fine for about 6 months, next winter no worky, bike could cope with them on most of the time. - think I only used them in 1/2 hr bursts to save battery, especially after dark. I have a pair of heated gloves that came with the bmw, never even tested them, one day I might get around to finding the leads and fitting them to another bike but I rather think the thicker winter gloves will be better, and I like to not have to plug each glove in every time I ride.

pastyman
26-11-2014, 07:24 PM
cheers all and some interesting comments there, tis a good idea getting a shitty second bike though as a winter hack - never thought of that :rolleyes: now if i could only find some decent winter gloves now ill be happy

John Hopkins
26-11-2014, 08:11 PM
shitty bikes with an MOT are costing more all the time..They are out there but ebay has pushed the prices right up..

John.

matthewmosse
26-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I have a couple of pairs of Buffalo branded gloves that are pretty good once it gets really cold, I also have some lidl ones that are a bit lighter, I like to have a few pairs so there are always a dry pair around. Wet gloves are bogging. Fat rear tyres are the worst feature of almost every modern bike. Absolute crap on ice.

harry
26-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I ride all year round and have done for many years 100 mile round trip commuting to Bristol for six years. The ST1100 has no problem running the heated grips, I have them on high on the motorway and low in traffic and city and town riding but I wear summer gloves all year.

The things that stop me riding are ice, snow, fog and this year the dark.

Me eye sight aint what it used to be so objects lieing in the road are just not visible against the glare of headlights etc.

Hit a brick in a car and the double puncture is a logistical nightmare.

On a bike...........................

BigBod
27-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Ski gloves work for me... always cheap in TK Max....:thumbu:

noisygit
27-11-2014, 10:01 AM
I keep my bikes taxed and ready but they only rarely go out in winter, one of them has far too much polished ally to take out on salty or muddy roads but the tatty old Guzzi will get a run if it's not too cold-but not if it's wet as I have definitely given up riding in the rain! Like many on here I used to ride all year round, didn't even take my car test till I was in my mid 40's but age and arthritis are getting the better of me now. As for riding in the rain I did do it before I had a car but never enjoyed it and most of the accidents I had were on wet roads-I'm far too old to go breaking any more bones now so that's not gonna happen again if I can help it!

Sir Ewok
27-11-2014, 12:47 PM
shitty bikes with an MOT are costing more all the time..They are out there but ebay has pushed the prices right up..

John.

Ebay doesn't put the prices up, it's the morons who pay more for an unknown bike than they would at a dealers with some sort of guarantee and think they have a bargain......
A thing is only worth what people are willing to pay. Just watch storage wars or similar to see people paying way too much for a bin full of shite and pretending they have made a fortune........:rolleyes:

matthewmosse
27-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Inflation is putting the prices of shitty bikes up in my opinion. There are still nasty ratty projects for not a lot of money, but really you need to look at it in terms of %of your annual wage, and perhaps look at some of the korean and chineese bikes innthe used and even new markett. I think my bike shop owning mate said someone he knows bought a shitty chineese bike, swapped most of the bearings and has had 3 years and counting out of it. I think he might have gone over the electricks too.

Biker Buster
27-11-2014, 02:08 PM
All year round, the only exception is if the snow stops me getting down the drive or there are high winds, fuckin' HATE high winds.

I have just bought a new pair of Buffalo gloves, before them I was using an Aldi pair which were ace but now no longer waterproof, prior to that summer gloves and muffs.

Muffs rock!!

beef
27-11-2014, 04:32 PM
i dont stop using the bike. just wash it and spray it with wd40 and get all the clothes on that i need.
no car so no option. not trying to prove anything or be macho. just needs be.

but if i had a carthen at least two days this week i would kf been init. :D

andyc
27-11-2014, 08:17 PM
I keep mine lathered in wd or similar , then I can get out anytime

Hound Dog
28-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Frank Thomas claw gloves are the warmest I've found

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/gloves/viz016-dri-viz-claw-glove-black.html

Look a bit strange and take a little getting used to but certainly the next best thing to heated grips etc.

Mortis
28-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Frank Thomas claw gloves are the warmest I've found

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/gloves/viz016-dri-viz-claw-glove-black.html

Look a bit strange and take a little getting used to but certainly the next best thing to heated grips etc.

I have the Hein Gericke version. Totally waterproof and the warmest gloves I've had and over the years, I've had three pairs of them. It's just a pity HG have gone bust over here. I've just bought some Triumph "Acton" gloves and they've been brilliant so far.

BikerGran
28-11-2014, 05:53 PM
I had some Buffalo winter gloves, really warm - till they got wet and turned out NOT to be waterproof. That was the time I stopped at a village shop and bought some Marigold gloves to inside them - worked a treat, dry AND warm!

I now have some Richa ones which ARE waterproof, but even better, are the most comfortable gloves I've ever had!

Peirre
28-11-2014, 06:27 PM
I have the Hein Gericke version. Totally waterproof and the warmest gloves I've had and over the years, I've had three pairs of them. It's just a pity HG have gone bust over here.
Watcha mean you can`t get those HG panthen gloves anymore?
You should look a little harder and think outside the box (UK) ;) http://www.hein-gericke.de/hein-gericke-pathan-evo-sheltexr-3-finger-handschuhe-schwarz-6.html

mickthecrane
28-11-2014, 07:30 PM
well guys, i ride all year round but my winter hack is a vespa copy (lml). i love my xjr but it goes out once a month or more to the club meet, about it. a scooter as someone said is not every ones cup of tea but , it cost me 200 notes , in bits, 75 quid to get it going, tax, mot and insurance for less than one hundred knicker!. no street cred but if i drop it , who cares?, out with the matt black and off we go, proper job. this scoot i might add was bought as a future chop project, but its going so well im afraid to start it. oh , i forgot to add, under a tenner in fuel a month. bikers beware though, a full face helmet is required so no bastard recognises me.........

John Hopkins
28-11-2014, 08:42 PM
I might have to go to Plymouth just to point and laugh..

John.

Mortis
29-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Watcha mean you can`t get those HG panthen gloves anymore?
You should look a little harder and think outside the box (UK) ;) http://www.hein-gericke.de/hein-gericke-pathan-evo-sheltexr-3-finger-handschuhe-schwarz-6.html

Yes, but I like to try them on and check they're fine first. Internet shopping is fine if you're prepared to wait around and you're not in a rush.

mickthecrane
30-11-2014, 09:22 AM
yes john, people do laugh! its usually my biker mates but i do around 4k a yr on the xjr and the scoot has saved me at least 1500 miles this year . to cap it all, i was asked along to a scooter do the other weekend! now i know im in trouble, no feckin way......... i will admit its great fun though but after doing a ten mile jaunt through plymouth the other day i know why im a biker, uncomfortable or what.

winter hacks though, my cx 500 was the best runner , no doubt.

harry
30-11-2014, 10:40 AM
My other way of staying safe and comfy in winter is my Dickies jacket.

It goes over me bike jacket so it don't need armour etc. But its cheap, warm, dry and Hi viz which not everyone will like but it's handy in bad visibility, especially if the bike went a different route to yourself.

Fortunatley they do sizes big enough to go over a 5xl biker jacket :eek:

ChopperFXR
01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
About this time every year, all my old injuries start to give me grief. I can actually feel the metal in my arm and the staples in my hand and fingers. Worst of it is the metal in my neck and head.

Once the salt hits the road then the Harley gets scrubbed top to bottom, polished like hell, then WD40 before being wrapped up. The build quality has really turned to rat shit lately so any salt makes it look really scruffy and neglected, which it ain't. I have just bought a Yam 850TDM for any rides over the winter. Always fancied one to hack around on and have found one locally, dirt cheap, low miles and lots of new stuff already fitted, tyres, brakes and exhaust, plus chain and sprockets.

If I can avoid using a bike during the cold and wet I do. I used to ride all year round but having done it for many years, I have nothing left to prove on that score. I don't have a car, but I do have a van for business use. That gets used a lot more at this time of year.

I wear layers of clothes to keep warm rather than one big thick jacket. Definitely time to get the thermals out now. I find of you can stay dry, it is easier to keep warm. I have two textile jackets that are water proof and several pairs of gloves in case they get wet.

For the first time ever, I have just fitted heated grips on the TDM. Never tried them before, but got a pair really cheap so thought I would give them a try.

Chopper

slim..
01-12-2014, 01:53 PM
I usually ride all year but tend to do less miles in winter, age & old injuries take their toll

This winter will be the first I wont be riding through in 34 years because my bike is off the road & I'm too skint to fix it or to buy a rat, just my opinion but riding in poor conditions improves your skill & control even though its not always fun

John Hopkins
01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
For the first time ever, I have just fitted heated grips on the TDM. Never tried them before, but got a pair really cheap so thought I would give them a try.

Chopper

I find heated grips great, I switch them on when the cold nips my fingers and give them time to heat my gloves and take the nip away, about one minute, then I switch them off again..this way I can ride without pain and I don't damage the charging system or were the heated grips out..

I have a pair of PP3 battery operated ski gloves which are useless, the batteries last 100 yards if I am lucky..I would not reccomend them..

John.

harry
01-12-2014, 05:23 PM
I put these on Lois's bike cheap as chips, they work really well. They have a varable power switch that is built into the left grip so the wiring is easy and neat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJD1PRI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

matthewmosse
01-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Well, dragged the rebel out of hibernation with a view to a top up charge of the battery, found one of the downsides to winter riding, for the last few months I rode it, the rebel was sounding and running like a sick puppy, noticed the exhaust downpipe is rotted through. No biggie on a 125, I think a replacement bit is about 30 -40 off motad, and over the past 5 years it's the final bit of my 25 scrapyard find exhaust to need replacing. A bit of a milestone for me, my first downpipe to have rotted out. Silencers and collectors - happens all the time, Ive snapped a downpipe but never rotted one. Christ, my rebel looks a fucking disgrace but fair do's to it, it passes every mot, never breaks down and was so cheap and scruffy that I never clean it. Only times its ever really been any kind of let down were a cheap shit drive chain breaking its split link, which it very undramatically just dropped on the road, without any apparent ill effect other than a rise in revs and the bike coasting to a halt, and a set of brake shoes loosing their linings which again it handled amasingly well, just deciding not to pull away from some traffic lights. I geuss the moral of that is buy genuine not chineese pattern parts as I'd just recently done some rear bearings and no sign of the things falling appart. Seems far more common on bikes ridden in winter for this kind of stuff to go wrong.

Biker Buster
02-12-2014, 10:18 AM
I put these on Lois's bike cheap as chips, they work really well. They have a varable power switch that is built into the left grip so the wiring is easy and neat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJD1PRI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

They look ace they do, I've got the Oxford ones fitted.