PDA

View Full Version : harley questions

scanner
22-08-2014, 08:37 PM
right well i've seen a 1987 sportster for sale for what looks like a good price,about 2k. now i don't know much about these so are there anythings i should look for ,pitfalls reliability issues etc .i know it's an old bike ,all mine are but i just fancy a harley and don't want to make a mistake on a spur of the moment buy !

Strider
22-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Hmmmmm 3 things

Cheap
Spur of the moment
Harley

Cue jaws theme

Scoobydoo
23-08-2014, 08:07 AM
There pretty bullet proof coils sometimes burn out and check head stock bearing .you just have to learn that they vibrate loose and ,if the bike doesn't you will.buy and enjoy:thumbsu:

scanner
23-08-2014, 08:44 AM
thanks for the info,might try and get a look over the weekend

ChopperFXR
23-08-2014, 08:54 AM
right well i've seen a 1987 sportster for sale for what looks like a good price,about 2k. now i don't know much about these so are there anythings i should look for ,pitfalls reliability issues etc .i know it's an old bike ,all mine are but i just fancy a harley and don't want to make a mistake on a spur of the moment buy !

1987 Sportster will be an Evo engine. Pretty tough motors, never had a problem with my early Evo Sportster. I spent a few quid putting Progressive shocks and fork springs in it and slightly more than the standard quantity of fork oil. Renewed the steering bearings as well. Toughened up the suspension a treat.

I added braided brake hoses and new brake fluid. Bear in mind the bike was several years old at the time and it was virtually bog standard when I bought it. It had probably not been touched for a long time. I gave it a thorough service soon after buying the bike. Owned it for more than two years, did about 30,000 miles on it and it never broke down or had any major issues.

I rode the bike hard and I am not exactly a midget. My only niggle was that the bike was only a four speed. Loads of grunt, topped out at well over a ton. Handled really well. Bit of vibration but not so much that it bothered me at all.

I really enjoyed owning it. Regular oil changes are important and use good oil. Bloody good bikes and as usual you will get piss takers slating the bike, just ignore them and enjoy it. They are just jealous, ignorant, listening to other morons or all three.

Go for it and enjoy it.

Chopper

mickturate
23-08-2014, 09:10 AM
as above ^^^^

take it out, ride it, check out important stuff: any smoke, pitted forks etc.

sportsters are generally fairly indestructible-there are thousands still out there being ridden. (except in the hands of certain Janners.....:thumbsu:)

have fun

Strider
23-08-2014, 10:37 AM
It was the cheap and spur of the moment bit more than the Harley ..... bought two bikes like that, both Honda's and regretted it, sold one for bits and another to a daft scotsman :D

gooseneck
23-08-2014, 12:20 PM
They are a good bike, 5 speed better than the 4 speed, but that's what your looking at getting, so check the box is all good, it should tick over nice, no smoke, & no noises, ( hydraulic tappets).
It's worth looking over the electrical connections for corrosion, & ditto the shocks & forks etc.
Wheel rims prone to rusting in the wells from the inside out, so rust running round the rim next to the raised centre can indicate bad rims.

Take no notice of the 'yuk it's a Harley brigade', that's just ignorance.

Steve D
23-08-2014, 03:55 PM
It'll mean you can go to the International Harley Ralley, which is being held on home ground next year!

scanner
23-08-2014, 09:39 PM
thanks for all the replies,so it's worth a look at least i'll let you all know the out come !

John Hopkins
24-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Nothing to do with Harley but when buying any vehicle it is worth looking at the last MOT to see if there are any advisories, You can stand facing the front of the bike with the wheel between your knees and see if there is any movement when you try to turn the handlebars, you can look for rot in the tyres, you can look for wet oil leaks.. 2,000 seems a reasonable price to me, I could be tempted if it is a 1200 and not an 883 engine..

John.

scanner
24-08-2014, 10:58 AM
it is a 1200 John ,it's in southern ireland about 150 miles away from me and their mot is different to ours i don't know how much they compare the other thing i have to find out is what my liabilities are in respect of import duty and VAT