PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past.............

Spriggan
13-07-2014, 09:51 PM
.......Anybody else noticed the lovely old 500/4 in the background of the latest Go Compare advert on the telly?

Not sure about those cowhorn bars but it was one of my dream bikes when I was a teenager early 70s. Always thought they were way better looking than the 750:cool:

droid
14-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Agreed, they were better looking.

critch
24-07-2014, 08:02 PM
and they were lots of fun, first bike I ever did a genuine 100+mph on....

(not even me hustler ,x7, or rd250 did that...:eek:)

Hound Dog
07-08-2014, 04:21 PM
QUOTE=critch;651902]and they were lots of fun, first bike I ever did a genuine 100+mph on....

(not even me hustler ,x7, or rd250 did that...:eek:)[/QUOTE]

Really, not even the RD250? My 125 hit 90 briefly before the piston melted, dropping chunks into the gearbox and locking up the rear wheel :eek2::eek2:[

Guess you must have had slightly more mechanical sympathy :D

critch
14-08-2014, 07:11 PM
125? did you throw it off a cliff? me elsie didnt do that!:D

meathead
29-08-2014, 07:40 AM
I know what you mean...back in 82 when I was an impressionable youth I was convinced my 350lc was a duffer cos it would only put 120mph on the clock absolutely tapped out, while my friends (also stock) bike would do considerably more than that......... according to him.....the feckin liar!
Sorry for the thread hi_Jack, the Honda looks good.. bikes like that stir up old memories..I can remember a lad that had a 550 with a 2/4 seat ,ace bars and a noisy 4 into 1 and to top it off it had an airbrushed graveyard scene on the tank. That seemed a cool bike at the time, :rolleyes:

Spriggan
24-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Another blast from the past, back on after a long absence, but threads can always be revived? It wasn't hijacked, it meandered as a good thread should..........

350LC?? None o that newfangled watercooled malarkey for me! Gimme the aircooled RDs any day, the yellow RD400F, or even better, the silver and black RD350 'round-tanker. Poetry in motion.............I was lucky enough to be working in bkie shops around the early 80s, the real Golden Age of motorcycling. The desperation of Proddie Racers to get hold of the limited mumber of 350LCs that first landed, the Pro_
-Am series! The wailing of the owners of the first white ones when the new black ones ariived, the first 'Mel Le Moto bodykitted one I saw.............miles better than the Dyson KH250s.............

I was the same with my Fizz. Hot shoe AP50 owners claiming 60mph 'head on the tank'

2:4 seats. I had one on the old round tak RD250 I tried to turn into a Jota lookalike, silver frame, orange bodywork, Rickman half-fairing, J & R spannies............

A mate had a similar CB550. Ace bars, 2:4 seat, Marshall 4 into 1 and a macabre graveyard custom paintjob. It was fitted with CMA alloys , remember them? You sent them your hubs and they built the 'alloy' around them.....................

I could go on.............................:D

Strider
24-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Aircooled RD350??

I customised this one 3 years ago and sold it, I was far too big for it but it was still fun for few months. It was an american import hence the slightly slimmer tank.

Spriggan
26-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Niiiiice! What is it about the Kenny Roberts paintjob? Timeless. Even looked good on those works racers a coupla years ago..............MInd, just saw a pair of Texaco Heron leathers on ebay this morning, another classic paintjob, but not in the same league.

I did a similar job on an XS250 years ago. Replica of Kennys XS650 flat-tracker to my mind :) Yellow alloys, same paintjob, single seat with a Z650 tailpiece and straight through pipes. Had to take it to a mates to have a diaphragm replaced. Couldn't get a van or trailer to pick it up, so 'took a chance' down the backroads, only 3 miles. No tax, ticket or insurance.Straight into the waiting arms of 5 Old Bill on K100s as they rode then. They'd heard me start it up at my mates and just waited.

Much admiring and appreciative comments as the ticket was written. The one who'd written it winked at me as he got me to sign for it. Pushed her home.

Paperwork duly plopped through the letterbox and when I read it, the letters of the Reg No were completely jumbled up, bore no resemblance to my plate. Quick reply denying ownership or knowledge of this vehicule and I never heard another thing. To this day I don't know if he did it deliberately............

Learned me lesson tho, never 'chanced it' again either................:D

excalibur
19-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Reminds me of the old days. We would all ride to the pub, drink 4 or 5 pints and buy the local copper half a mild and a bag of cheese and onion. As long as we didn't do anything stupid or fall off we got left alone.

Happy days.

John Hopkins
20-03-2015, 12:34 AM
OK while on the subject of top speeds, is there anyone here who has owned a bike and never taken it to it's top speed..

I owned a BSA 650 Golden Flash that only had a top speed of about 70 mph, I'm told that that is about all a 125 will do these days, I'm so glad I never met any of todays 125's at the traffic lights each morning as I was riding to work, being humiliated by that 400cc Honda as he left me standing was bad enough and I'm pretty sure he wasn't going flat out.

John.

BikerGran
20-03-2015, 10:34 AM
I took my GT550 to its top speed when I first had it, that's how I knew there was something wrong - 90mph. :confused:

harry
20-03-2015, 01:21 PM
OK while on the subject of top speeds, is there anyone here who has owned a bike and never taken it to it's top speed..

I owned a BSA 650 Golden Flash that only had a top speed of about 70 mph, I'm told that that is about all a 125 will do these days, I'm so glad I never met any of todays 125's at the traffic lights each morning as I was riding to work, being humiliated by that 400cc Honda as he left me standing was bad enough and I'm pretty sure he wasn't going flat out.

John.

Even on a track day I couldn't get the ST1100 to its top speed it was still accelerating on the straights when I had to start braking.
But it was fun nipping underneath sports bikes with me panniers still on. :D