PDA

View Full Version : Decent bike shop in Derby ish

Strider
03-06-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm looking for a decent bike shop (or individual) to do a bit of work, don't want to pay stupid main dealer prices at 60 ph plus. Don't expect them to do it for nowt either, just a fair price for a good job

Anyone know somewhere in the Derby area?

knuckle
03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm looking for a decent bike shop (or individual) to do a bit of work, don't want to pay stupid main dealer prices at 60 ph plus. Don't expect them to do it for nowt either, just a fair price for a good job

Anyone know somewhere in the Derby area?

What bike you got and what you want done?

Strider
03-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Steering head bearings and front wheel bearings on a CBR600, I'm told its an easy quick job normally, but because the model I have has got has the ram air scoop under the tank, the radiator needs dropping as well, so being quoted minimum of 250 for labour

I've got the bearings already

John Hopkins
03-06-2014, 11:32 PM
It is an easier job than you think, I changed the head bearings on a VT700 and it only took a few hours, I seem to remember I jacked up the front of the bike and put a wooden block under the front to secure it, the hardest part was smacking the old bearing out with a piece of wood and a club hammer.

John.

wurzel
04-06-2014, 10:12 AM
It really depends on the bike John - my old gpz900r the bottom outer race is flush with the step when fully driven in and there is no easy removal notch - to get it out last time took nearly 3 hours with the help of a mate who is a bike mechanic and we had got to the point of "if it doesn't go this time lets buzz a blob of weld on it to get some purchase" and that was even with a specially bent old screwdriver to use as a drift. That bike taught me a lot about Haynes books saying "simply remove" meaning you are in for a long job

John Hopkins
04-06-2014, 12:57 PM
They had probably done what I do, put the replacement bearing in a plastic bag and leave it in the freezer until you need it, they shrink and just drop in..I have considered fitting a grease nipple (zerk) to the stem so that I could pack it with grease..But up to now I have resisted the impulse.

John.

harry
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
I have considered fitting a grease nipple (zerk) to the stem so that I could pack it with grease..But up to now I have resisted the impulse.

John.

I did that on me Triton and was gobsmacked at how much grease it took. :eek:

If I was to do it again I'd use some sort of spacer come filler to take up all the empty space.

Strider
06-06-2014, 07:15 AM
So can I take it that no one knows of any?

JimboT
06-06-2014, 11:51 AM
You could try the following:
Motorcycle Services
Unit 5 Grassy court.Burnaston Garage
Etwall Road Mickleover
Derby
DE3 0BX

01332 521142

Just behind the Total garage on the A516 heading towards Etwall.

Not used them recently but they did do a couple of bits and bobs for me in the past and seemed reasonable.

Strider
06-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Cheers mate, I'll have a dodge down there next week and see what the craic is

Strider
22-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Got the work done at a sensible price ..... friendly service and nice people, even adjusted and lubed the chain for me

JimboT
23-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Glad you got sorted :thumbu: