PDA

View Full Version : So i have bought a Trike

chorley00
20-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi all, So 3 weeks ago i bought my 1st Trike, it is a 1970 phoenix with a 1973 VW beetle engine, i bought it as a non runner/restoration project. after finding out the ignition switch was faulty i decided to hotwire it, after screaming,shouting and hitting it with a big stick the trike still wouldnt fire up, So a new battery has been bought i have also orderd a new coil, plugs, points, distributor cap and HT leads as soon as the new parts arive they will be fitted and checked that i am getting a spark, then all being well the engine will fire up.
Once the engine runs it will be removed and put to one side, then i will strip the trike down to the frame before sand blasting and replacing any bad metal as well as making a few modifications as required. This is going to take some time as i am not in a rush to get the Trike on the road, i want to do the job right. It will need a full respray and bits will need to be chromed and that all costs Money but i am sure i will get there in the end, My darling wife Julie will also be helping with the restoration.
I will be taking some pics before the trike is stripped down and taking pics of the trike as the restoration is taking place, so i may post a few pics very soon.
I am always open to any tips or advice received.

Thanks for reading
Neil

OLDMAX
20-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi Neil and welcome
Sounds like you have a bit of work on there and don't forget the trike section on this forum. :thumbu:

John Hopkins
22-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi Neil,
Welcome to the forum..

Fill in the user CP up there on the left so that we know where you live, that way someone from the same area may be able to help..

Don't forget the ignition switch is multifunction and connects the 12v circuit to other places..you need a digital multimeter to measure the battery voltage and a circuit diagram of the correct VW engine to make sure the voltages are where they should be.

Were the 1973 VW engines 12v or 6V?

John.

Sir Ewok
22-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi Neil,
Welcome to the forum..

Fill in the user CP up there on the left so that we know where you live, that way someone from the same area may be able to help..

Don't forget the ignition switch is multifunction and connects the 12v circuit to other places..you need a digital multimeter to measure the battery voltage and a circuit diagram of the correct VW engine to make sure the voltages are where they should be.

Were the 1973 VW engines 12v or 6V?

John.

Also some 6v motors were later converted to 12v because the lights were as dim as a NAAFI candle on tickover.....

chorley00
22-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome and the info, it is a 1300 vw engine 12v, i think i will end up making a new loom, as well as making a few changes to the body of the trike.
I am based in Chorley, Lancashire.

BikerGran
23-05-2014, 11:25 AM
I am based in Chorley, Lancashire.

We'd never have guessed!

Welcome to the ranks, could do with a few more trike riders on here!

Sir Ewok
23-05-2014, 01:18 PM
If the engine has the tower of metal work over the centre of the engine, then it is a standard VW Beetle engine, however if it does not have a high mounted alternator/dynamo and associated metalwork then it is a fastback engine and the wiring is slightly different.

chorley00
23-05-2014, 01:27 PM
the dynamo is at the top of the engine so as far as i can tell its a standard and not a fastback :thumbu:

droid
23-05-2014, 07:02 PM
If it has an electric fuel pump, dump it and get a mechanical one. They overfuel the engine. be aware the pumps are different depending on whether it has a dynamo or an alternator.

Apologies if I'm teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs.....:rolleyes:

chorley00
24-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info on the fule pump. still got to get the bugger to fire up, we are getting there slowly......... WE WILL get the bugger to run LOL :thumbsu: