View Full Version : Licences

29-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Got a message at work seems they've changed the driving test again, mostly HGV but included this:

Reducing the minimum engine power requirement for medium motorcycles (category A2) from 25kW to 20kW

letting car (category B) licence holders drive large trikes above 15KW power if they are aged 21 or over.

Read more about the changes on GOV.UK

John Hopkins
29-04-2014, 11:37 PM
It seems to me that this is a way of making more money from licensing..They started off by making the full bike licence impossible if you are under 24 years old and just leaving grandfather rights for us oldies, this quadruples the income from driving tests..I would bet that within the next ten years there will be different tests for different cc cars and different age groups to level the playing field..The only reason it won't happen earlier is because all the solicitor, accountants, company directors and polititians children won't get their driving licences so easily.


29-04-2014, 11:46 PM
letting car (category B) licence holders drive large trikes above 15KW power if they are aged 21 or over.

That's cos trikes over 450kg have to be taxed as PLG now - same as cars.

30-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Does the trike MOT include emissions ? If so that might actually save trikers money on tax as they will be taxed by emissions not just a flat amount as a PLG

30-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Biker Gran, Don't confuse driving licence categories with vehicle taxation classes or vehicle categories. They are all different.

Wurzel, you're confusing emissions with emissions.

At MoT we test that the engine is running properly and we measure the percentage of gasses in the exhaust.

For emissions for taxation purposes we measure TOTAL out put ie grams per kilometer or KW hour.

That means running the engine on a rolling road and collecting all the gasses that come out of the pipe, and measure that.

01-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Yes I know and I thought that if a vehicle is PLG then it has to be MOT'd as a car (and therefore "quality" of emisions tested) and if the CO2 g/km is known for that engine (quantity) then it is taxed accordingly also. Or is the taxation class different from the MOT class and a vehicle can be MOT'd as a trike but taxed as PLG ?

I sort of ran 2 ideas into 1 sentence (badly)

01-05-2014, 04:21 PM
It isn't just the engine it's the vehicle it's in as well.

The size weight and aerodynamics all effect the results.

When we test grey imports we test against a model report, that includes checking the gear ratios tyre sizes catalyst type and dimensions etc.

If you built a kit car and wanted a low tax class for it you would have to take it to a test house such as MIRA they run tests on it and create a model report.

We could then test each vehicle against that report. The trouble is the test houses charge ten of thousands of pounds for their work. So you'd need a large production run to get your money back.