PDA

View Full Version : Something I did.


gothtec
07-04-2014, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Gm54Yz5tM

noisygit
08-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Quite a neat repair there mate, well done :thumbu:
I would have done it pretty much the same way other than I would have chamfered the two ends of the original tube to get better weld penetration, this would have resulted in a flatter weld, and towards the end of where your inner strengthening tube went I'd have drilled a hole in the original tube so that I could weld the outer tube to the inner tube thus (in my mind) giving it a bit more strength. I wouldn't use a brass hammer either, I'd go for either a copper or a rubber coated "deadblow" mallet-much less chance of damaging what you're hitting then ;)
Don't take this as criticism though, nothing wrong with what you've done it's more just me thinking out loud on how I would have approached it :)

gothtec
12-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Quite a neat repair there mate, well done :thumbu:
I would have chamfered the two ends of the original tube to get better weld penetration, this would have resulted in a flatter weld, drilled a hole in the original tube so that I could weld the outer tube to the inner tube I'd go for either a copper or a rubber coated "deadblow" mallet-much less chance of damaging what you're hitting then

Thank you

It was more of an experiment and fix, I learn something new every project.

You didn't see the welding bit where I neatened it all up etc, because my camera decided to lose the entire video set O_o , plus my mig welder decided not to work!

I thought about drilling some plugs, but when with the extra chain instead.