PDA

View Full Version : fenders

dav3y1
13-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi folks.
Im currently doing my first project bike and learning as i go ( vn800 bobber )
I am wanting to run the bike without front and rear fenders however when looking into the law it states that both wheels need a fender and it should cover x amount of wheel. When looking into other peoples projects they have removed the mounting holes for the front fender and i'm told that if their is not anywhere to mount a fender then you dont have to have one.
My 2 questions are:
1) If i grind off the mounting for the front fender will it pass mot and will the law be ok with it?
2) is there anyway to get around the law for the rear fender?

Thanks in advance
Dave the Goat.

Strider
13-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Learn that these are fenders

Strider
13-03-2014, 07:51 PM
These are mudguards, which do you require?

harry
13-03-2014, 09:00 PM
The law for vehicles falls into three groups:

Type approval, MoT and Construction and Use.

They are all different. A missing mudguard is not a failure item at MoT.

But the lack of a mudguard is an infringement of C&U as the vehicle could be considered to be a hazard to other road users.

So a copper at the roadside could issue a prohibition. So could those nice people from VOSA now called DVSA.

critch
19-03-2014, 08:33 AM
plenty of lads in the club ride without mudguards it is a c&u naughty though, if you get a bollicking use one of those old norvil muddies and jubilee it to the forks!:D

dav3y1
22-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replys peeps. Think i'm going to have to put a rear fender on but i will do away with the front one.

Steve D
22-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Stratocater or Telecaster?

Glyn aka Kingo
22-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Fireplace Fender

Dusty
22-03-2014, 12:41 PM
As your VN is Japanese not American, the correct spelling of the item you're looking for is 泥よけ

Mortis
22-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replys peeps. Think i'm going to have to put a rear fender on but i will do away with the front one.

THEY'RE FOOKIN' MUDGUARDS!!!!! Are you an American? Are you in America? NO! Then they're mudguards. Fenders are found on boats or are a make of guitar. Learn the difference.

Oh, have a nice day and welcome to the forum where we speak English and not some colonial version of it :p

dav3y1
22-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Lol. I work in a car factory and we fit fenders, hoods, tail gates etc. You get used to it after a bit.

Olds
23-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Do you also fill the tank with gasoline?

dav3y1
23-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Just answer my bloody question without taking the piss will ya!!!! :d

John Hopkins
23-03-2014, 11:35 AM
ok who's got the sofa?

And I think it's my turn to supply the popcorn..

John.

John Hopkins
23-03-2014, 11:38 AM
drifter mudguards look great on a VN800.

But I do like those old fenders with a brass box for the poker, tongs and can I say shovel on this forum, in front of a nice coal fire after a cold ride..

John.

BikerGran
23-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Not sure why you'd join this forum if you don't want the urine extracted! :D

Mortis
23-03-2014, 02:34 PM

I believe Harry has already answered your question ;)

harry
23-03-2014, 04:46 PM
I believe Harry has already answered your question ;)

That's because I'm nice, not at all like the p!ss taking b@st@rds on here :rolleyes:

Nufkamp
23-03-2014, 08:24 PM
THEY'RE FOOKIN' MUDGUARDS!!!!! Are you an American? Are you in America? NO! Then they're mudguards. Fenders are found on boats or are a make of guitar. Learn the difference.

I do believe I've been here before :D

ChopperFXR
23-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Lol. I work in a car factory and we fit fenders, hoods, tail gates etc. You get used to it after a bit.

In the UK a fender is fitted to a boat. Mudguards are fitted to motorcycles, pushbikes and trailers.

Hoods are worn by characters of ill repute that live on council estates. Sometimes also worn by insurance company salespeople to hide their shame.

Hoods are also a small flap of skin to cover girlies giggle buttons. It is widely accepted that most guys cannot find this magic source of pleasure for the female of the species. Not even with a sitemap, torch and guidance. For those of us that know how to find it, the accepted practice is to twiddle or chew away until the point that the female is gagging. You then get up, get dressed and fuck off home. However, if you are at home twiddling or chewing, the accepted practice is to rollover and go to sleep. The bruises will go down in a few days. Long term married guys know where it is, and know how to find it, but just don't give a fuck any more.

Tail gating is the proper term for sales people, usually of the non reflective type, that drive company BMW;s at alarming speeds, whilst using a mobile phone and trying to share the fuel of the vehicle in front of them that will not speed up or move over no matter how much they flash their million watt headlights.

Do please bear in mind that the members of this illustrious forum of worldwide popularity, are most particular about correct terminology, grammar, punctuation, spelling. Colonial words and phrases and not understood, not welcome and are usually badly spelt.

The words Harley Davidson are sometimes permissible, but fannies in the uk smell of fish and not shit as in the colonies. By the way, a cunt is still a cunt, but sometimes wears a blue uniform. We smoke fags, instead of shooting them. Pants are what girlies wear to keep their fannies warm and to catch the drips, we wear trousers in the UK. :D:D

Do keep up old chap.

Chopper

John Hopkins
23-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Thank god there is at least one of us who is polite enough to explain everything in a clear and concise manner without a hint of sarcasm and in a way that is unlikely to cause any offence..

John.

dav3y1
24-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Great write up chopper haha. I like how many comments i got after my little outburst.

dav3y1
24-03-2014, 08:35 AM
http://www.advanceddrivers.com/info_80003.htm

Ive got my list now so i wont make the same mistake period

John Hopkins
24-03-2014, 12:01 PM
you little devil.

John.

XJphil
24-03-2014, 05:45 PM
I prefer Gibsons myself
they sound more meaty

Mortis
24-03-2014, 07:07 PM
I prefer Gibsons myself
they sound more meaty

I'm a Gretsch man myself.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Triumph900/IMG_0008.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Triumph900/media/IMG_0008.jpg.html)

I wish that was my guitar! It's a White Falcon and cost 2739. It sounded amazing even with me playing it

:thumbsu:

eighty one
24-03-2014, 10:15 PM
nice white falcon, would look fantastic on my wall, above my licence plate. and by licence plate, i mean fire place, where my licence sits. and that little fookin square thing that yanks bolt onto there vehicles. its a number plate, with numbers on, not a licence!

Glyn aka Kingo
25-03-2014, 09:21 AM
We also do not have turn signals, in this country we have indicators, it's just that most people don't use the bloody things. :(

slim..
25-03-2014, 08:38 PM
A missing front or rear MUDGUARD :D is not a MOT fail in itself but a lot of testers myself included can & sometimes do fail a missing front guard as the forks are missing the brace effect of that guard..... yep i know its bollocks in the main part but its far better for us to get a bit of hassle off the punter than off the law & VOSA for letting it pass

Some testers may just say well it was there when i tested it ossifer :thumbsu::D

matthewmosse
25-03-2014, 09:16 PM
I personally like having a set of mudgaurds fitted for 3 reasons, no hassle off mot or plod, acts as a fork brace, keeps crap out of my face plus off my derrier. I couldn't give a rats arese if it looks good compared to not getting a facefull of mucky puddle the first time I go for a ride in the rain. Take it from me, limping around in a cast after dumping a bike on yer foot is a waste of 6 weeks and counting somit that helps keep things out of your face is a good thing. Wish there was someting that kept bikes upright on ice too ( there is, I know, sidecars, boy do I wish that bike had one fitted. )

slim..
26-03-2014, 03:36 PM
While we're here ..............

An elephant has a trunk, a car has a boot but when the boot is on the other foot you walk funny

Yokes have nothing to do with eggs, triple trees has sod all to do with anything theres not 3 of them & there should be no wood involved

We drive on the right side of the road which is the left side of the road, the pavement is for walking

A gearbox is not a tranny thats something else entirely

A sump keeps the oil in an engine an oil pan is what you put it in when you take it out

A 600/750/1100F is NOT a katana

& yes i'm taking the piss which does not mean i'm a nurse or a doctor