PDA

View Full Version : Leather panniers?

noisygit
02-02-2014, 02:18 PM
I've got some leather panniers on my Guzzi but the insides have got mould on them now, probably thanks to the monsoon January we've just had :mad: Anyone know the best way to clean them?

beef
02-02-2014, 03:40 PM
you will need to get some leather cleaner, have a look on the web for all the different types.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.Xl eather+cleaner&_nkw=leather+cleaner&_sacat=0&_from=R40

then when you have cleaned them you will need to treat them, use a good quality feeder / conditioner for the leather and then a good protector,

all depends on the type of leather, is it smooth, cracked ect ect.. how you want the finish to look.

you can always use some soapy water and a nail brush then dry next to a radiator, but this will dry the leather out and will need some serious conditioning

John Hopkins
02-02-2014, 04:56 PM
I've had leather panniers which have looked good only for the bin..A drop of shoe dye and a libral coat of shoe polish inside and out and they have come back from the dead and look as good as new..I usually take dubbin with me on long wet rides and coat them every night then when I get home I rub any dubbin until it gets dry then give it some shoe polish to make it look good again.

John.

noisygit
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Cheers for the replies :) I've also been told to clean them with Miltons Fluid first as that will kill the mould spores but I'm concerned that might discolour them so I'll try it on an out-of-sight area first.
I also need to get a couple of the buckles re-attached but I hear there's a guy in Colchester who might do that for me so once I get them cleaned up I'll give him a call. One things for sure-once I get them all sorted I'm not leaving them outside on the bike again!

ChopperFXR
03-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Use saddle soap to clean them. You can buy it from any equestrian suppliers. Use it inside and out, that will kill the mould spores as well. That's what I use on my Harley panniers, they are ten years old now and still looking good.

A liberal dose of dubbin on a regular basis will keep them supple and fed. Looked after properly you should get years of use out of them.

Post a picture of the buckles and I will see what I can do.

Chopper

cyberluddite
03-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Anything made for the horsey types should be well tried & tested. I've used Connolly's Hide Food for years. Milton is meant for sterilising plastic things like baby bottles and could corrode metal parts (like the rivets & buckles on your panniers).

noisygit
03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
I found a horsey shop not too far from me today and got some leather balsam to do the panniers with, the woman there actually suggested I clean them with leather cleaner for car seats first as that's a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell! So all the mould is cleaned off now and once they're fully dry I'll apply the balsam-and I will be keeping them in the house when they're not in use from now on!!!!
Chopper FXR-I'll try and post some pics next weekend, I have just realised though that one of the buckles is missing-I thought it was with some other stuff I got when I bought the bike but it isn't :(

John Hopkins
04-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Measure the diameter of the bags from top to bottom and buy two of those imitation black belts from the 1 shop, they look ok and hold the bags to the bracket and keep the lids down.

John.

ChopperFXR
04-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Measure the diameter of the bags from top to bottom and buy two of those imitation black belts from the 1 shop, they look ok and hold the bags to the bracket and keep the lids down.

John.

Alternatively, he could send me a picture of the buckle so that I can try and match it. Failing that I could find a suitable pair of buckles, stitch them on for him and do the job properly.

Chopper

John Hopkins
04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
That's true, I have no idea where he lives, he could be anywhere, even one of your neighbours..

John.

ChopperFXR
04-02-2014, 05:39 PM
That's true, I have no idea where he lives, he could be anywhere, even one of your neighbours..

John.

Never mind John, this is ENGLAND and we do have a postal service, even access to couriers and telephones. Ok the postal service is shite, but better than nothing.

Chopper

noisygit
04-02-2014, 09:39 PM
As it happens I'm way over the other side of the country out in Constable Country which is why I thought of going to the guy in Colchester-he's only about 20 minutes down the road! Cheers for the offer though Chopper FXR it's much appreciated, funny enough I have relatives in Somerset so if you're anywhere near Cannington maybe we could catch up next time I'm over there :)

John Hopkins
04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Never mind John, this is ENGLAND and we do have a postal service, even access to couriers and telephones. Ok the postal service is shite, but better than nothing.

Chopper

Ok I'm shocked, Part timers, Arabs from agencies, anyone who can speak some English either delivering mail, or dumping sacks of it on roundabouts or in empty houses..and you of all people saying it is better than nothing..

No we don't have a postal SERVICE..We used to have a postal service..

John.

harry
05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
We used to get two deliveries. One at 8:30 and one at 14:30.

They stopped the second delivery and now we get the post at 16:00. :confused:

Sir Ewok
05-02-2014, 12:36 PM
The reason the Postal Service got so bad is the usual one. The government bled it of investment and refused to upgrade outdated equipment, then they sold it of cheap to their rich mates because,'it wasn't profitable enough'..... Bah!:mad:

ChopperFXR
06-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Ok I'm shocked, Part timers, Arabs from agencies, anyone who can speak some English either delivering mail, or dumping sacks of it on roundabouts or in empty houses..and you of all people saying it is better than nothing..

No we don't have a postal SERVICE..We used to have a postal service..

John.

Pedantic Welsh tit.

Ok, you are right, they are crap. Fucking shite actually, but you missed the point.

Chopper

John Hopkins
06-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Pedantic Welsh tit.

Ok, you are right, they are crap. Fucking shite actually, but you missed the point.

Chopper

There's no pedals on my bike..and are you calling me thick..

John.

ChopperFXR
06-02-2014, 09:25 AM
There's no pedals on my bike..and are you calling me thick..

John.

If you really need to ask, then the question was too difficult.

Chopper

John Hopkins
06-02-2014, 11:58 AM
fairy nuff.

John.