PDA

View Full Version : Blue headlights

John Hopkins
21-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I've noticed quite a few cars on the motorway with bright blue headlights and sidelights' they seem a lot brighter than normal white lights..What does the law say about using blue lights on our motorbikes..as long as they are not flashing we are not pretending to be an emergency vehicle..

John.

harry
21-01-2014, 01:50 PM
There's two issues here.

Gas discharge headlamps are much brighter than halogen bulbs.

Standard bulbs give a yellow light, and we are used to that, so in contrast the pure white light of gas discharge lamps looks blue.

The spectrum of the light is measured with a meter, and blue light would be illegal.
To have these lamps on a vehicle you need to have self leveling either on the suspension or the lamps and a self cleaning mechanism (washers)

Due to the large pitching movement of motorcycles they aint allowed on a bike.

BikerGran
21-01-2014, 03:23 PM
And they're bloody horrible coming towards you on a car! Self levelling or not!

John Hopkins
21-01-2014, 03:26 PM
I've fitted accent lighting to one of my bikes..I figured rule 86 of the highway code covers it because it doesn't face forward or to the rear.

But I've got a kill switch for it on the handlebar just in case..

And you're right they are wanker lights, but it's pissing down and I've haven't got to ride to work, and they were cheap and I'm bored.

John.

wurzel
21-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I hate them and will explain.

When the GS125 that i use as a spare bike was built most cars had standard bulbs some had halogen but few used during the day (except volvo's) so it's piddly little tame glow worm was capable of ensuring it could be seen.

Now all the cars have bright lights, most new ones have always on running lights the cyclists all have flashing bright LED lamps and i have the dimmest light on the road. The alternator won't run a bigger wattage bulb and it has a silly fitment so I can't go halogen.

Why if the highway code is so adamant I should make myself conspicuous on a bike have construction and use regs allowed car lights to get so much brighter over the last 20 years and why are daytime running lights seemingly becoming mandatory.

Also don't get me started on tossers with their foglamps continually on

BikerGran
21-01-2014, 09:24 PM
I agree!

In defence of the tossers with their foglights on - I have sometimes found that I've turned on the foglights on my car without being aware - there is no idiot light for the front fogs, only for the back, and when I turn the stalk to put side or headlights on, sometimes the next bit turns as well. I usually try to remember to check but if it suddenly goes dark and I'm in a busy place I might not remember till later - so I have some sympathy.

excalibur
21-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I have spot lights on the bike, one is set up to deliberetly dazzle these wankers with these high output lights or drive with fog lights on when it isn't foggy (how often do we get real fog nowadays like we did years ago?)

I also have an old speaker magnet on the side of the tank with some old nuts stuck to it that I can toss at the windscreen of these ignorant car drivers. At this time of year with a wet visor these illegal gas discharge bulbs are a fucking menace. What is worse is some bike riders are fitting these dangerous bulbs as well.

cyberluddite
21-01-2014, 09:55 PM
I once knew a woman driver who didn't know how to use the dip switch.........so she used to switch the lights OFF when faced with oncoming traffic!:eek:

Mortis
22-01-2014, 05:59 PM
And don't get me started on idiots who think that they don't need to put their lights on when it's only a little bit dark or even when it's foggy! Tossers!

knuckle
22-01-2014, 11:32 PM
And don't get me started on idiots who think that they don't need to put their lights on when it's only a little bit dark or even when it's foggy! Tossers!

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

wurzel
23-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Especially those with Grey/siler cars.

As an aside Bikergran i am surprised you do not have an idiot light for fogs as I thought that was compulsory if they are factory fitted and at least on my car you have to pull the headlight knob out to activate them

Sir Ewok
23-01-2014, 01:45 PM
This morning during the torrential downpour and overcast skies, plenty of cars with NO lights on. Very rarely use main beam even in country lanes, I can see the road, if the tosser on full beam can't see at the same speed he/she shouldn't be on the road. As for the blue light bulbs if you spend some time on a darkened motorway or unlit road then you end up with a headache from the excessive light....

Dusty
23-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I have spot lights on the bike, one is set up to deliberetly dazzle these wankers with these high output lights or drive with fog lights on when it isn't foggy (how often do we get real fog nowadays like we did years ago?)

I also have an old speaker magnet on the side of the tank with some old nuts stuck to it that I can toss at the windscreen of these ignorant car drivers. At this time of year with a wet visor these illegal gas discharge bulbs are a fucking menace. What is worse is some bike riders are fitting these dangerous bulbs as well.

Then you are a fucking twat who will likely get wiped out when whoever you dazzle loses control 'cos they have been blinded.
Ditto the claim about the bolts, wouldn't be so clever if one of your mates was following you on his bike and got took out by a car who's screen got busted and he couldn't see owt.

BikerGran
23-01-2014, 10:01 PM
As an aside Bikergran i am surprised you do not have an idiot light for fogs as I thought that was compulsory if they are factory fitted

As I said, I think that's only for the rear fogs. Must be so in fact cos it passes the MOT every year. Well it doesn't fail on the lack of a little light anyway!

harry
23-01-2014, 11:22 PM
As an aside Bikergran i am surprised you do not have an idiot light for fogs as I thought that was compulsory if they are factory fitted and at least on my car you have to pull the headlight knob out to activate them

The EU added a warning light for front fogs to the type approval regs a few years back. (Can't remember the exact date) But it's not testable for the MOT

BikerGran
23-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Ah well - my car is fifteen years old......

mickturate
24-01-2014, 11:55 AM
to bring sober thought to this exchange

calum100
24-01-2014, 09:57 PM
A while back I lived in Dumfrieshire for a bit. All the boy racers there drive around with no headlights, just parking lights, and front fogs on. WHY???

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the boys in blue, but I was glad when they decided to start prosecuting for it.

Got to give some support to Dusty's comments to Excalibur, it's always satisfying to take a twat down a notch or two, but you have to consider the potential collateral damage.

BikerGran
25-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Got to give some support to Dusty's comments to Excalibur

I reckon Excaliber's post was wishful thinking............ ;)