PDA

View Full Version : your opinion please

naughty_rascal
19-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Right im getting to the age where my taste in bikes is changing.
Spent many years only riding sports bikes then progressed to modified naked bikes.
Currently ride a tweaked 98 Hornet but im finding my self drawn to certain Harleys.
I particularly like the 883 iron can you learned gentleman let me know what you think?
Im really not into big assed chrome cruisers I like stumpy angry looking bike's
Cheers guys:)

gooseneck
19-01-2014, 11:00 AM
I have both the 1200 sportster, (07), & an 883(01).

The 1200 has a lot more punch, probably half as much again as the 883.

Both are good reliable engines, ( same bottom end ), & a conversion is easy, & costs about 700 tops.

I have chopped my little 883, & it is much lighter than stock, this has given it lots more 'zip'.

Stock bikes handle nicely, but for two up work the rear suspension will bottom out on bumps, Hagon shocks make a serious difference to this.

The 04 or 05 up bikes have a rubber mounted engine, this adds about 50lbs in weight, the earlier bikes are a bit more nimble, & have a gearbox that can be removed from under the chaincase.

If you get an earlier bike go for the five speed, the four speed was a bit more problematic.

My comments don't really cover the 'Iron', but a bit of background info none the less.

I'm enjoying my 883 chop so much that I am going to sell my '07 1200r.:)

naughty_rascal
19-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Cheers Goose

Fox
19-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Hire one for a week. Then you will stick to your Hornet.

Mortis
19-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Get a Triumph ;)

naughty_rascal
20-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Do like the street triples

andyc
24-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Go to lincoln hd , with your license and some utility bills .
Have a go on their demonstrators .
Look interested in buying one ask for another go and you might be able.
To blag one for a day or two.

It will be a completely different ride to your Hornet ,

BikerGran
25-01-2014, 07:11 PM
I'll be interested to find out what you end up with but as I've never really been into Harleys I haven't an opinion to offer.

whistler
25-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Like you my tastes changed. I got loads of good advice from the forum. I road tested/hired both the sportster 883 iron and the triumph bonneville in the end. Liked them both in different ways. The sportster was an acquired taste and whilst I liked the look, it didn't feel right, kinda rough compared to a jap bike. The triumph did everything well, but then so did my 95 NTV, which still have as it was still a great bike after all these years.

naughty_rascal
26-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Go to lincoln hd , with your license and some utility bills .
Have a go on their demonstrators .
Look interested in buying one ask for another go and you might be able.
To blag one for a day or two.

It will be a completely different ride to your Hornet ,

I popped in there last year and they where great and said I could try what I liked, just never got round to it.
Seems the Harley fleet is pretty massive and the modifications are endless.
Im going to wait till the the weather picks up then try a few.

andyc
26-01-2014, 03:30 PM
If you get up there whilst the weather is shit you will probably
Be able to get out on whatever they've got for as long as you like ,
No cleaning neither !!

SS2
27-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I got that Harley twinge last year and was looking at an 883 iron until me wife came into the shop and said I looked like 'a monkey on a mangle' on it. Also up close, there's a lot of unecessary plastic about them.

I ended up taking out the fat bob for an hour and loved it. Just not enough to get rid of me ZRX or Beezer to buy it.

One day though, cuz it ceratinly ticked a lot of boxes:cool:

critch
29-01-2014, 08:13 PM
sportys are good but get a nice buell chop lot more go and it aint a fekkin stocker....grub from the ncc is a good bet for one of them

on sportys... 4 speeds come in two types, Friday afternoon/ Monday morning models, or, the rest....had a few of each.....gearbox history goes all the way back to the 50's kr's think theyre cracking bikes if you know what your doing, seen a few owned by mechanical criminals with no problems too
5 speeds.... hmm..... supposedly less problematical.... maybe if done righthad some that took abuse some that took fits......

or you could go all boring and get a new triumph, or get interesting like, and buy a real triumph from the early eighties and before( don't forget an aa membership) :D

you want cheap fast get a 4 speed 883 and wiseco 1200 it, it'll wheely like a bastard due to the hot cams until it pops:D

Harleys are agricultural over engineered slugs when new, fiddle with em yerself(or preferably buy a post fiddled one!) and enjoy, a new un can easily be a lesser bike than a previously enjoyed one(when done right)

Mortis
29-01-2014, 09:51 PM
or you could go all boring and get a new triumph, or get interesting like, and buy a real triumph from the early eighties and before( don't forget an aa membership) :D

It depends if you want British and dependable or nostalgia :p

Mortis,

owner of three Triumph 900s (ok, only one runs, one is being customised and one is going to be customised)

:D

knuckle
30-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Hire one for a week. Then you will stick to your Hornet.

Get a Triumph ;)

Do like the street triples

It depends if you want British and dependable or nostalgia :p

Mortis,

owner of three Triumph 900s (ok, only one runs, one is being customised and one is going to be customised)

:D

:thumbsu: from all the never ridden a H-D.....16058

Mortis
30-01-2014, 07:27 AM
:thumbsu: from all the never ridden a H-D.....16058

I have ridden several H-Ds akchewerly from sportsters to Road Kings. So ner ner ner ner nerrrrrrrr :p

I found the sportsters way too small for my 6 foot frame and the big twins were ok but they just didn't do anything for me. I tried my best to like them but I just cannot understand the hype and the BS surrounding them. I like my Triumph Tridents because they're the perfect size for me and I like the triple cylinder engine. I would love an old Bonnie but I do a lot of miles and one wouldn't be practical.

knuckle
30-01-2014, 10:22 AM
I have ridden several H-Ds akchewerly from sportsters to Road Kings. So ner ner ner ner nerrrrrrrr :p

LOL...ok, mostly knocked by peeps that have never ridden one. ;)

I agree with the feeling of the bull-shit that goes with so many twats that ride them, newbies mid life crisis that think they are bikers at the weekend. :rolleyes:

Choprocker
30-01-2014, 11:08 AM
had a 1200r sportster lasted 2 month, traded it for a triumph Bonneville t100 which I should have bought in the first place, sportster was a nice bike and I cant complain about it but I just could not get on with the engine.
if you want a cruiser do try the triumph speedmaster and maybe even the new Bonneville etc.

naughty_rascal
30-01-2014, 01:39 PM
never riden a Harley and i have only ridden a Triumph once and that was a hired Bonneville on Holiday once and that had the worse ground clearance of any bike ive ridden. Gave it back with slightly less pegs than it started with.
As i have got older things are starting to ache after one or two crashes over the years (used to race a bit) so now i fancy something a little less manic but still looks and sounds the bollocks.:rock
The only thing putting me off Harleys at the mo is the huge costs of extra's

knuckle
30-01-2014, 01:57 PM
never riden a Harley and i have only ridden a Triumph once and that was a hired Bonneville on Holiday once and that had the worse ground clearance of any bike ive ridden. Gave it back with slightly less pegs than it started with.
As i have got older things are starting to ache after one or two crashes over the years (used to race a bit) so now i fancy something a little less manic but still looks and sounds the bollocks.:rock

Keep it standard once you have done a stage one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq1nxF6O-aw) on the bike, no need for bling. Plenty of 2nd hand stuff on fleebay that has been taken off bikes.

Mortis
30-01-2014, 05:19 PM
LOL...ok, mostly knocked by peeps that have never ridden one. ;)

I agree with the feeling of the bull-shit that goes with so many twats that ride them, newbies mid life crisis that think they are bikers at the weekend. :rolleyes:
And here's proof. Me in 98 in California on a hired Heritage Softtail. Now that thing did not have any ground clearance and would scrape the boards without even trying!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Triumph900/Picture051.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Triumph900/media/Picture051.jpg.html)

naughty_rascal
30-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Keep it standard once you have done a stage one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq1nxF6O-aw) on the bike, no need for bling. Plenty of 2nd hand stuff on fleebay that has been taken off bikes.

Dont do bling but like performance, power and reasonable handling. I know Harley's arnt designed to be flung around but being aboe to hold a libe in a corner would be nice:unsure:

naughty_rascal
30-01-2014, 06:05 PM
How many spelling mistakes!:thumbd:

Mortis
30-01-2014, 07:04 PM

I'm not saying Harleys can't be made to crack on at a fair old pace but if you think the new Bonnies have no ground clearance, wait till you try a Harley (Buells may be different). I've had the boards / pegs down on every one I've ridden and I'm not a hyper fast rider.

Scoobydoo
30-01-2014, 07:59 PM
What I like about my roadking is it's slowed me down (a little) I now cruise at the speed limit ,with a nice rumble . I can ride to the bottom of France in 1 day in comfort or up to Skye it's done now 45 thousand miles and never missed a beat ,the engines just run in and get a comfortable 180 miles out of a tank , I ride it in ice , rain what ever shit gets thrown at em .we've done more holidays on that than we have in the car but also I'm lucky and have a fzr exup for when I want to try and loose my license ,but due to aches and pains can't do the distance .we got rid of a bmw gs for the hd and it's the best thing I've ever done

Choprocker
30-01-2014, 10:18 PM

don't think that's down to ground clearance more to position of foot pegs etc, thruxton are a bit more up and back, remember bonnies/thruxton exhaust don't go underneath too, much better clearance than most inline 4's

knuckle
30-01-2014, 10:29 PM
And the REAL H-D riders not [RUB's (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=RUB)] can take the piss out of ourselves. ;)

John Hopkins
31-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I think if you ride a Hornet and you like it maybe you should stick with it, I've got three V-twins and a race tuned R1, they are nothing alike, If you like one you are unlikely to like the other.

Just my opinion.

John.

naughty_rascal
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
the Hornet is fun but i do prefer twins i have had 2 Aprillia Falco's and they where belting just feckin unreliable.
I think till i try one i guess i wont know either way but its always good to hear folks opinions etc.

Sir Ewok
06-02-2014, 01:02 PM
The only V twin I've ever rode was the 900 Monster Ducati. Brilliant bike, not ultra fast but turned heads wherever you went. Never ridden a Harley but followed one down to Faro and that boy could ride. I don't think it matters what bike you ride, if you are good you can make it do more than would be expected.

ChopperFXR
06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Don't you just love all the silly comments from those folks that have never ridden or owned a Harley?

I have owned and ridden Harleys for more than 30 years now. Lost count of how many and also lost count of how many Jap bikes I have owned.

Only had trouble with an FLH Classic that I bought brand new during the days of AMF. I got arrested for beating the shit out of the sales guy. The amount of stupid faults was ridiculous and the after sales was a fucking joke.

The other Harley I had trouble with was an old Ironhead that had supposedly been re-built by a qualified Harley mechanic. Think his name was Stevie fucking Wonder. What a sack of shite that was. Every time I took it out something went wrong. In the end I stripped it to do a full rebuild and got offered more for it than I had paid. The bloke took it as it was, all in bits and did a rebuild himself.

To be honest, I think that once you buy a Harley, you have to make it yours. I think just about every one that I have owned, I have done the suspension, brakes, tyres and engine mods to suit me, make it look how I want it to look, sound how I want it t sound and perform how I want it to perform.

If you don't want to buy or cannot afford to buy all the chrome shit, then don't. I make most of the shiny stuff I want for mine. My FXDB is mostly black and that suits me for this particular bike.

As for handling and performance, I make the bike do what I want it to do and I am now too old and too physically wrecked to go as fast as I did when I first started riding legally. My current bike does 120 no problem, even with forwards I still scrape my boots easily.

Harleys are what you make them. There is no one size fits all, the bullshit surrounding them is somewhat annoying at times. The weekend bad ass's are a fucking joke, but it is them that keep the HD aftermarket parts sales high.

You pays your money and takes your chances with any bike. With a Harley you pay a bit more. That's my choice.

Chopper

knuckle
06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks Chopper you put that just right. :D

Sir Ewok
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks Chopper you put that just right. :D

That is the biggest problem in my mind is the initial cost....

It doesn't matter what type of bike you ride if it is crap to start with (like the AMC built Harley) or have been owned/worked on by a half-blind drunken fuckwit then it will give problems. I can't see a problem with owning an H-D and never really wanted one, although I am getting like ChopperFXR (old and knackered) I might have considered one if it was cheap enough, especially as my Lady can't ride my old Hardtail BSA.....

I do like the sound of a LOUD V-twin whatever the brand.

John Hopkins
07-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Lets be honest, most V-twins copy the Harley format and some of them do it really well, and while they all look confusingly alike there are vast differences..sound, reliability, speed, comfort, and a particular look..but then the line starts to blur a little, V-fours go for the look but are a lot faster so heading to the other end of the spectrum, Racing bikes..My R1 is nothing like my Shadows or my Drifter and in between are all the variations you could wish for..Most of us have a particular favourite that we argue is the best bike ever made, but when it comes down to it, we are fairly happy just to be riding what we have..I would not try to win any races on my Drifter and my R1 has a top speed of 185mph but with a national speed limit of 60mph and 70mph on parts of our motorways, what is the point of having a racing bike that you don't race..

As for the Harley's, lots of folks complain about reliability, but I have had to put a spanner on every single bike I have ever owned in the last 53 years and not one of them has been a Harley.

John.

Scoobydoo
07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
The Jedi has spoken :rock:

scanner
07-02-2014, 10:46 PM
well this doesn't apply to Harley's in particular but to vehicles in general.
I work in a motorfactor and we think a lot of the faults peeps complain about are through lack of maintainance in the first place,not using the right oils service interval etc and not really the car's fault at all