PDA

View Full Version : Manx man in Nicaragua

Jingle racer
19-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Hi all,

Just a little info origanialy I'm from Isle of Man but have been in the jungles of Nicaragua for 10 years now but still managa a few crazy projects with the limited vehicles here just builds a Honda cb100 and have a Suzuki boulevard for getting about.

At the chance of hearing you all say that it won't work I am wanting to make a trike for my wife to get about and I am thinking of using a Honda cb100 as there are lots of them about and there so reliable yes I know the power is lacking etc I will reborn it to 125 and its only for town use. So that said any ideas on how to do it?

Look forward to the replys I think!

Cheers John

Friar Tuck
20-01-2013, 08:49 AM
They used to make 50cc racers shift so I can't see why a CB100 can't be breathed upon. As to a triking it? Erm... why? Why not get a rear engined car and chop it? VW's are good for that, google "Beach Bastard" for an idea.

Greetins frum Naarfuck by the way!

John Hopkins
20-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the forum,

I wish you good luck with the trike, my only advice is to plan what you want to do first the see how much it is going to cost for the parts, I have never been to your part of the world but if you have breakers yards maybe you can find a suitable small vehicle to get the rear section sorted out..if your wife wants three wheels have you thought about a sidecar which might be a cheaper and easier project.

John.

Jingle racer
21-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Hi guys,

Why a trike well why not kinda falling in love with the ease of the little cb100s

Here in Nicaragua it's really hard to get the right car to make a trike I have been looking for a vow for about a year for a junker they are asking $2000 it's a third world country so even the junker have a price.

Really can't find any other rear engined car to speak of so thought why not try a cb100 again. Think I found one this week so Ian marrying to work out how to make the rear axle etc think its going to be a live axle there isn't that much power to worry about.

Any way will keep a build thread once it starts and thanks for the comments

Cheers jungle racer

Jingle racer
21-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks John,

I would love the idea of a sidecar also but to me it seems a harder project to get right IE the position etc and I have look but just can't find enough easy instructions to give it a try but it a option I have considered if any one can offer advice I'm all ears

Cheers

Friar Tuck
21-01-2013, 06:32 AM
I thought Nicaragua would be full of old VeeDubs?

wiskers
21-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks John,

I would love the idea of a sidecar also but to me it seems a harder project to get right IE the position etc and I have look but just can't find enough easy instructions to give it a try but it a option I have considered if any one can offer advice I'm all ears

Cheers

From my dim & distant past i do remember setting up an outfit or two we used to start with the bike on the centre stand untill the sidecar was bolted on or propped up with whatever we could find.

Now the bit's that matter always about the same no matter what the bike or sidecar,

Sidecar wheel lead from spindle of rear wheel to spindle of sidecar 8-9"

Tow in of sidecar wheel 1/4" over distance of bike spindles

Bike lean out 1/4" from vertical

With these settings as a starting point you had a outfit that would ride ok without any tweaking or could be tweaked a touch to get just about perfect, the only possible problem i could see using the little Honda would be soft rear shocs so you may need to play with the lean out a bit otherwise the above is a good starting point

If you are making the sidecar from scratch you will need four mounting points one just below the headstock, one below the front lower engine mount, one by the top shoc mount, and lastly one by the swing arm pivot point.

Hope this helps Dai

Jingle racer
21-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, just picked up the little cb100 today for $300 now trying to decide between trike and sidecar. Maybe I will do one then the other as its all just for the fun of doing it really.

Here's a few pics of the new project

Friar Tuck
22-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I'd stick with a sidecar. Don't they have any bigger CC bikes over there, like Enfields or something???

ztevo
23-01-2013, 11:14 PM
maybe a chain drive quad rear end. small and light and you will not be going 90mph anyway. what do you do in Nicaragua.

Jingle racer
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi guys

I will have to start a new thread with the full build but just to let you know I started the trike build. Decided to use the original cb100 hub and make it a live axel for ease and as its only going to be 125cc max hopefully it won't cause to many problems.

Any way here's a photo of the local bike shop where I got the bearings welded to the honda 200 swingarm

Cheers john

ALFIEBEARD
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
So you are only going to drive one of the wheels then?? if not it will drop dead on the 1st bend unless you lift one wheel :confused:

Alf