PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces Bikers

chimaera
28-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I've had an email from the above about the hassle members are getting from certain sections of the biking community about wearing AFB back patches.

Surely ex sevicemen have earned the right to wear a backpatch more than some other people

lowrider
28-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Never seen the "patch" but surely as bikers they would have been aware of any probs and a simple chat with other clubs would have sorted things.
Never found any patch clubs members to be adverse to that

John Hopkins
28-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Before we get too excited about, This was taken from the AFB website about us..

PLEASE NOTE - 12" Back Patches, if worn whilst riding your motorcycle, must be sanctioned in accordance with biker etiquette within your area. The AFB will not take responsibilty for any offence, misunderstandings or conduct of any individuals who choose to ignore this advice. All AFB members can be recognised by the wearing of a front or side-patch which states they are Armed Forces Bikers and will at no time display a back patch whilst wearing AFB patches.

I think that says it all..

The AFB was started in 2008 and in my opinion is just another company trying to cash in on servicemen and ex-servicemen and women..

Unlike Patch clubs they will not back their members up and if a member gets into trouble they will just wash their hands and throw him or her to the wolves.

Best advice I can give is tell people not to bother with them.

John.

MrSmith
28-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Well John you are slightly wrong. Its not a 'patch' its a badge. It has no rockers or name. .

They do the RTTW and organise honour guards for RWB and BZ.

They do rides and runs to raise funds for HFH and BL.

They are not a 'club' of any sort. So I can't see why 'clubs' should have anything against them.

As it happens some of the MC have now told them to stop wearing the large badge on the back. Something I'm shocked with.

Seems some 'outlaws' (small o) have become 'makelaws', more enforcement than the EU+Police together on the biking/motorcycling community.

Funny how they then ask the community to support them when they are threatened by rule to stop them wearing badges on their backs.

John Hopkins
28-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Well John you are slightly wrong. Its not a 'patch' its a badge. It has no rockers or name. .

The quote I added came straight from their own website..they called it a 12" patch..But I'm not bothered there is already a perfectly good forces and ex-forces club out there but although I am entitled to join I'm quite happy being on my own, riding where I like, when I like, and standing up for myself when I get into trouble.

John.

Patch
28-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Always had a suspicion about the AFB concept, whoever is selling he patches doesn't identify themselves, always looked like a scam to me. More recently though it has taken on the "look" of a club, exactly what it stated it wasn't.

I bet there is some fat cunt who never served in the forces pocketing the money somewhere

strima
28-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I bet there is some fat cunt who never served in the forces pocketing the money somewhere
Or a chef...

I'm a squaddie, soon to be ex (less than 19 days mother fuckers... :D ), and a biker. TBH I don't need a patch to define who I am or what I have done. A small Army biker side patch would suffice if I ever felt the urge, the only ornaments of pride I will ever wear are my gongs on 11/11.

Each to their own but as usual the innocent/unaware will get caught in the backlash as usual. One thing the Merkins have over us is that their clubs recognise what their veterans have done for them.

I won't even start about the RBLRB and the 'squaddie MC'.

MrSmith
29-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I read the RBLRB have been told the same now about their Lion badge.

TektroG
01-11-2011, 01:57 AM
I agree with Strima - I know what I am, I know what I've done, and I don't need a 12" patch to proclaim it. Those who are serving or ex forces can join any club they choose, and many MCs will have ex HMF members.

The golden rule is the same one as when you join the forces: you joined us, we didn't join you. So don't expect special treatment sonny.

Therefore if you wanna play biker and wear a backpatch, better earn one. At least that's the way its been for years in the UK...

Dusty
01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Therefore if you wanna play biker and wear a backpatch, better earn one. At least that's the way its been for years in the UK...

Can't argue with that !!!

No doubt someone will come back with "they earned it in the forces", well, I earned loads of badges in the sea cadets, doesn't make me an admiral though.

mickturate
01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
who called the chef a cunt?

response: who called the cunt a chef?!!

:thumbsu:

JOE
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
:thumbsu: quality

Mc Nasty
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Surely ex sevicemen have earned the right to wear a backpatch

:rolleyes::doh:

TektroG
03-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Not to mention those gaudy lookin patches are fookin 'orrible. :D

Last time I remember a similarly stupid debate with some group who were claiming because they were "special" they were entitled to something it was that COBB thing. Bound to end in tears in my opinion...

At the risk of paraphrasing Taff, I think he said that as far as MC members are concerned, you're either a 1%er or you're not. And no matter what you think your MCC, RC, Brotherhood, Armed Forces Biker club etc is, you're in the 99% who are not.

Better to just accept that fact and get the fuck on with life, until the day you decide you wanna join an MC.

John Hopkins
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Less than 1% of the population are registered as motorbike owners so you are all 1%ers if you want to be...

less than 1% of the motorbike owners are backpatch members.

That is something they have worked hard for and I think we should allow them some respect for making the effort that the rest of us can't won't or don't bother with.

If you haven't worked for it..don't wear it.

John.

MrSmith
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
A bike club where people join for their own benefits, and thats why they join, have no right to dictate to people who put their lives on the line for the benefit of the whole country.

TektroG
04-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Popcorn on standby
:popcorn:

ChopperFXR
05-11-2011, 01:27 AM
A bike club where people join for their own benefits, and thats why they join, have no right to dictate to people who put their lives on the line for the benefit of the whole country.

Yeah?

I earned my beret, my War Pension and my patch. So go fuck yourself, whoever you are.

Chopper.

Dusty
05-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Less than 1% of the population are registered as motorbike owners so you are all 1%ers if you want to be...

less than 1% of the motorbike owners are backpatch members.

John.

Wouldn't that then make them 0.1% ers. Now that would be exclusive.:unsure:

Taff
05-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I dont give a flying fuck about 'em.
They dont look like a patch club.
They dont wear MC or 1%.
They dont wear President or Sgt At Arms like a lot of these 'Brotherhoods' and all that bollocks, who pretend to be what they so strenuously deny that they are.
Just like bible basher clubs, freemason clubs, and all that shite, dress like a 1%er, then you'll get treated like one, and get a smack in the kisser if you act like a twat, patch or not.
If a couple of guys strolled into our clubhouse open night wearing that patch, i'm pretty sure they'd stroll out still wearing it at the end of the night.
If a prospect, or a local bike club member, came to us carrying a couple of those patches that he'd ripped, trying to impress us, i'm pretty sure he'd get a smack, told to keep his fuckin' beak out of club business and told to take 'em back to where he got 'em.
If i wanna rip patches to prove to meself how tough i am, or aren't, then there's bigger fish in the pond, with bigger and more real grievances to address. Aint no credibilty in pulling these, they dont mean shit to me.

The Beer Monsters
05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I was in a van stuck behind a bloke wearing one of these patches in traffic last weekend.

Never mind the club/1% argument. The bloke should be ashamed to call himself a biker.

Grantham was solid traffic, he had at least 10 opportunities to get out of the queue and filter past to the junction and took none of them then when the traffic finally cleared, rode like he was scared of the machine he was sat on.

:whistle:

MrSmith
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
They dont wear MC or 1%.
They dont wear President or Sgt At Arms like a lot of these 'Brotherhoods' and all that bollocks, who pretend to be what they so strenuously deny that they are.

Is that an 'official' HA ruling or a personal view ?

robbo
05-11-2011, 02:35 PM
They dont wear MC or 1%.
Just like bible basher clubs, freemason clubs, and all that shite, dress like a 1%er, then you'll get treated like one, and get a smack in the kisser if you act like a twat, patch or not.
If a couple of guys strolled into our clubhouse open night wearing that patch, i'm pretty sure they'd stroll out still wearing it at the end of the night.
If a prospect, or a local bike club member, came to us carrying a couple of those patches that he'd ripped, trying to impress us, i'm pretty sure he'd get a smack, told to keep his fuckin' beak out of club business and told to take 'em back to where he got 'em.
If i wanna rip patches to prove to meself how tough i am, or aren't, then there's bigger fish in the pond, with bigger and more real grievances to address. Aint no credibilty in pulling these, they dont mean shit to me.
well said that man

Taff
05-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Is that an 'official' HA ruling or a personal view ?

As with everything i post on here, that's my opinion.

TektroG
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
The problem with the forces is, not everyone who's been in it, is a hard as nails warfighter. Personally I've known a few glass back desert dodgers that have managed to spend a 20 odd year career between second line and training establishment postings, and got promoted to a fairly senior rank to boot. Sometimes, especially early in career that's not the individual's fault, its the posting they got... but after 12yrs or so, you gotta start to wonder.

So yes everyone who takes the Queen's shilling has to be prepared to fight and die, but some are (or choose to be) more in harms way than others. That said I'd still rather share a pint with a serviceman than plenty of civvies...

england 71
28-11-2011, 05:17 PM
:D

Taff,

Great reply, glad to see someone with some common sense. I like the bit about some dickhead Prospect ripping shit off, which does not concern them or either cause offence to anyone. I would slap them also!!!

Like someone said, the AFB are not a threat to anyone, but I do feel that someone is making lots of money by selling the back-patch and without proper thought some lads do not understand the MC world and the backdated view by some clubs. (no offence).

The reason I move tactics is that: I am a serving member of the Armed Forces, nearly 30yrs and have always been a biker, and at present I do not belong to a club, beit MC or not.

I will not wear the AFB patch (on back) as I know the rules etc, but like the Help For Heros, they are robbing bastards and using the good name and loss of life to gain funds. Its wrong.

I have however, been looking at joining other non %1 clubs that do wear the full rockers and I dont mean the Blue Knights.

Whats your thoughts on them?

I have not contacted the club yet, but they appear to have a good set up and are run under strict quidelines and the patch (rockers) have to be earned. Lex Legio MC

Its like that in the USA and Australia, where some Fire Departments and even Police have their own MC's and are fully excepted by the outlaw clubs, even get the odd invite. (I mean known or tolerated)

The other reason I am looking into this particular club, is due to the fact, that my trade in the Army (RMP) automatcially seems to give the impression that I am a cunt!!!

I joined the Army for a career and just happened to slide into the RMP world. I work with and have fought on the front line etc (dont wish to sound like a wanker) and even as you may recall lost good RMP lads who were killed in Iraq. This does not make me a spy, wannabe or tosser, there is good and bad in all.

I did try and hangaround with a certain Military MC, but even they admitted that although you are a good lad, your trade is not wanted. I know each have rules, but that is narrowed minded. Unless I was MI5/MI6 I would never let down an MC. What goes on in the clubhouse etc, stays in the club.

So you see!!! there are lads who know the rules, want to be part of somthing and want to earn the right to wear colours, not just buy them of the net!!

I do think that the UK %1 clubs should accept non %1 clubs who have back patches as long as it done in the correct manner and the numbers kept at a proper level. Forget the BK they are a social club (may have great people in it) but females wearing all the shit etc, is shit.

Going back to the AFB, they are not a club, just a bunch of military lads (I hope) wearing a 1 peice and want to ride together. They are no threat nor do I think are any other non %1 properly managed club.

Ride Safe
God save the Queen and England.