PDA

View Full Version : stuck halfway - reliant axle drum to disc conversion

Triker_spider
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi all, found a thing on line a while back that talked you through how to convert a reliant axle from drum to disc using VW Golf GTI rear calipers and carriers, nova discs and a 6mm mild steel plate made up to hold said calipers and carriers, it had a 'template' of the plate but no measurements etc,
Got the calipers and carriers, and discs but I'm stumped about the plate, was hoping to get all the parts ready without having to strip down the axle to figure it out.
So I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, suggestions etc, not to clever with engineering and how to work shit like that out, any help would be gratefully recieved, any abuse (for my lack of intelligence and laziness) will be not too gratefully recieved but expected!!!!

Cheers in advance

Also if anyone would like to see the 'instructions' I can attach them, although they are only available as a locked PDF for some reason (so will only open if you have ADOBE)

strima
05-06-2011, 09:20 PM
If you could post the instructions it would give us a clearer picture.

thebigdogsix
06-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Nowt to do with me but they are the ones i have used

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/reliant-robin-trike-conversion-plates-/120732573925?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Tri ke_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c1c38e0e5#ht_500wt_951

Triker_spider
06-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Cheers Big Dog, exactly what I needed, bought and paid for, made my life a whole lot easier. Will still be happy to put the instruction PDF up if anyone else would like it, just let me know

thebigdogsix
06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
No worrys spider
What model golf are your hangers from as only the mk2 will work
Just about any VW Audi Seat Skoda calipers will work but not all the hangers will you need ones that have no dog leg in them
But if im telling you how to suck eggs please feel free to ignore me

Bodge
06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
You could try this place for info...
Mankey's disc conversion (http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Trikespageimages/discbrake/disc.htm):thumbsu:

Triker_spider
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi Big Dog, yep definately got mkII calipers and carriers, just got them out to double check (been in a box in the loft since I bought them 18 months ago, in preparation for the conversion), aside from that any advice is more than welcome and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know that only certain ones will work, as I said I have the intentions but not the know how. I can handle most things bike related but when you start mixing car things into the mix I tend to be the one standing back scratching me head with a confused look on my face, thanks again, going to start attacking it after we get back from the NABDonia rally in July.

Cheers for the guide Bodge, funnily enough that is what I was working from, I didnt even realise it had origanted from 100% biker, found it through a trike forum about 2 years ago. Been scratching my head about the plates ever since!!!! Bad health/disability and not having anywhere warm and dry to work on the trike tends to stretch jobs out considerably for me, plus I dont like working on it through the summer as I would rather be riding it, not to mention the fact I am a lazy S.O.B!!!

One other question that someone may be able to help with, when I got the trike it had/has still got a Landrover master cylinder to run the back brakes, and they are shite, will that master cylinder be able to handle the conversion ok or is there something better I could be running?

Cheers again, apologies for the lack of knowledge, it's pitiful really!!

thebigdogsix
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Im using a landrover clutch master cylinder and it works the front and rear brakes stops me fine but not put it through msva or mot yet so i guess il find out fairly soon
one other point make sure you get the early Nova discs as the later ones are a bit thicker and bind on the carrier

Triker_spider
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Got the plates through yesterday morning, after looking at them I cant believe I've been putting it off for nearly two years, but in all honesty even if I did have the measurements I doubt very much I couldve made them that well, especially not for what they cost, all I have to do now is make up mounts for the new forward controls I have bought, do the disc conversion and run new lines, might actually get it done this year!!!!

dubmeister
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I used all the same kit on my z1300 trike including the landrover mastercylinder (15 new off ebay) and it worked absolutely fine :thumbsu: