PDA

View Full Version : Trike builders, Beds, Herts, Bucks

maximass
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I asked this question on another site and was near enough flamed for asking it. The answers I got back were basically dont bother, get a car instead and a proper bike.

Trikes are naff, un-cool, riders look like twats, expensive to build/run/service a waste of money.

So thought maybe will get better or more constructive answers here.

I asked does anyone know any builders near Luton, Herts, Beds, Bucks areas so I can look into getting a trike, talk to people about pros & cons maybe try one out etc

Thanks in advance

Simon B
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
try these, not on your door step, but good stuff

http://www.nc-engineering.co.uk/

maximass
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
try these, not on your door step, but good stuff

http://www.nc-engineering.co.uk/

Thanks for link, will check what they have and where they are

maximass
02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Sorry if anyone here gets peeved with me for saying my first post, it wasnt aimed at any particular site as I said I have been asking a lot of places as well as people.

D & G (Denis) I have contacted, Trike SHop I spoke to by email and at Ally Pally show as well.

So sorry guys if I offended anyone

Nik
02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Mate, there are loads of trike builders around - get yersel' a copy of Trike magazine and have a look through it, for a start.

Do you want a one-off or do you want a conversion or do you want to buy one ready done? :)

maximass
02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Mate, there are loads of trike builders around - get yersel' a copy of Trike magazine and have a look through it, for a start.

Do you want a one-off or do you want a conversion or do you want to buy one ready done? :)

Yeah planning on getting the magazine when I get to town.

Not sure what I want rigt now, one for me and one for other half as she cant ride a large bike, as time goes on she wont be able to ride any bike probably.

I know TRIKE SHOP do some nice builds new and custom

Nik
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Not sure what I want rigt now

First thing to decide then, guv. ;)

maximass
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
First thing to decide then, guv. ;)

Yep I agree.

Will know once I talk to builders and maybe visit a few more shows to see what is out there shop built or custom built

I know I dont want this type

http://www.trikez.com/xtc.html

Nik
02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I know I dont want this type

http://www.trikez.com/xtc.html

Weird that, eh? :D

Beano
02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Very much depends on budget and style....trawl the internet for pics to get a good idea.
I have popped in to see Dennis a couple of times, at his workshop, to get advice whilst I finish my build.
He will build you what you want and does not do to plan stuff.....if that makes sense..
Get Trike mag and ignore the ignorant twats and trolls that lurk on some sites.....they are of no moment and not worth a second thought. :D
Good luck.

maximass
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Weird that, eh? :D

Yeah its like a squashed out scooter.

Though they are doing them to encourage more people onto them. As you dont need a full licence for them but use a car provisional

harry
02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I asked this question on another site and was near enough flamed for asking it. The answers I got back were basically dont bother, get a car instead and a proper bike.

Trikes are naff, un-cool, riders look like twats, expensive to build/run/service a waste of money.

So thought maybe will get better or more constructive answers here.

I asked does anyone know any builders near Luton, Herts, Beds, Bucks areas so I can look into getting a trike, talk to people about pros & cons maybe try one out etc

Thanks in advance

My old trike cost 300 to build I sold it 15 years later for a grand, it did 50 mpg and the insurance cost half that of me car.

When I got caught in a thunder storm while stuck in a traffic jam wearing shorts flip flops and a T shirt I probably did look a twat!
It did two funerals and a wedding as the Bride's limo. Many young ladies seemed to prefer holding on to me than some bloke on a bike. I carried my young family to loads of rallies etc. Now we ride bikes together.
At rallies it was the favourite seat for everyone. It had a cigar lighter and ash tray so helped keep the site tidy.

"Uncool" who gives a stuff, I was 'avin' fun. :thumbsu:

maximass
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
My old trike cost 300 to build I sold it 15 years later for a grand, it did 50 mpg and the insurance cost half that of me car.

When I got caught in a thunder storm while stuck in a traffic jam wearing shorts flip flops and a T shirt I probably did look a twat!
It did two funerals and a wedding as the Bride's limo. Many young ladies seemed to prefer holding on to me than some bloke on a bike. I carried my young family to loads of rallies etc. Now we ride bikes together.
At rallies it was the favourite seat for everyone. It had a cigar lighter and ash tray so helped keep the site tidy.

"Uncool" who gives a stuff, I was 'avin' fun. :thumbsu:

LOL

Sounds good fun for all the family then.

I like the idea of a bike fo reveyday use and some nice rides, but a trike for camping or rallys as you say.

The other half wants a trike as she will never be able to ride a bigger bike than teh scooter she has at the moment.

Sorry but seeing someone in shorts and flip flops I would have just stood there pointing at you and say in "ah ha"

Grav
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Trust me, you don't want to see Harry in his shorts and flip flops......

He's 'orrible.

snigger.... :D

Here's another place where you will get helpful and friendly advice from Trike Riders. The NABD

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/

maximass
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Trust me, you don't want to see Harry in his shorts and flip flops......

He's 'orrible.

snigger.... :D

Here's another place where you will get helpful and friendly advice from Trike Riders. The NABD

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/

LOL I will take yoru word for it and not ask for pics :eek:

Thanks for the link. I went there when my other half wanted to get first onthe road on a scooter, didnt think to try it for trike info doh !!

Beano
02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Trike day at the Ace Cafe this sunday.....always good for a laugh and loads of folk to talk to ! :D
(I will be there with a camara stuck to my face)

maximass
02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Trike day at the Ace Cafe this sunday.....always good for a laugh and loads of folk to talk to ! :D
(I will be there with a camara stuck to my face)

Thats a good idea. I think I will take a ride there sunday as well

kajir
02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
i'm with beano
do as you will, it harm no other
kajir

dracken1
02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
just a bit of info on the jinlun trike mentioned and shown further back in this thread.
we gave that particular trike a good going over at the trade expo. 200cc and not a bad trade price.
then we looked underneath it.
with the suspension jacked right up, and one one on it ground clearance is 3"

theres a x member.

so sleeping bobbies are out as you will get stranded and everyone will laugh at you seesawing.

by the way yoda tried on out for size. he liked it, prior to been told about the ground clearance.:D

Spoke
03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I think Bruce at BB Customs has some trikes in stock.

Link:
http://www.bbcustoms.biz/

A Twizzle custom one would be the coolest though ;)

maximass
03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
just a bit of info on the jinlun trike mentioned and shown further back in this thread.
we gave that particular trike a good going over at the trade expo. 200cc and not a bad trade price.
then we looked underneath it.
with the suspension jacked right up, and one one on it ground clearance is 3"

theres a x member.

so sleeping bobbies are out as you will get stranded and everyone will laugh at you seesawing.

by the way yoda tried on out for size. he liked it, prior to been told about the ground clearance.:D

Well around my area you cant really avoid the humps, though I would love to see some of the idiots around here stuck like that

northernpesant
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Trikes are what you want them to be.

Mine is made of a large amount of second hand parts. It also gets changed slightly now and again. Cant resist trying out ideas on it, so it lets me down a little. A bit of road side meddeling and off we go again. I blame it on my dad getting me a mechano set when i was a kid, and the fact i never grew up.

You can get a reliable one, the only thing you need to remember is that if you leave it standing in winter run it up regularly because modern fuel tends to gell in the carbs if you dont.

As far as whats better a car a trike or a bike. It depends how you feel on the
day. either can put a smile on yer face, and they all hit the pocket.

maximass
05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Trikes are what you want them to be.

Mine is made of a large amount of second hand parts. It also gets changed slightly now and again. Cant resist trying out ideas on it, so it lets me down a little. A bit of road side meddeling and off we go again. I blame it on my dad getting me a mechano set when i was a kid, and the fact i never grew up.

You can get a reliable one, the only thing you need to remember is that if you leave it standing in winter run it up regularly because modern fuel tends to gell in the carbs if you dont.

As far as whats better a car a trike or a bike. It depends how you feel on the
day. either can put a smile on yer face, and they all hit the pocket.

Sounds like very good advice.

Probably for my and my partners first one we are thinking of getting a new trike as neither of us are mechanically minded lol

Beano
05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Learn together Maximass....most fun you can have with your cloths on....:D

Blackjack
07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like very good advice.

Probably for my and my partners first one we are thinking of getting a new trike as neither of us are mechanically minded lol

Me, I'd ask Pugwash what he picks up that's less than a year old and broken down.

I suspect the answer would be "motorbikes".

I've seen MOD and AA figures that suggest that the chances of a break down occurring are at their highest in the first six months of a vehicles life, and immediately after a service.

If it's really that important, you might want to look at that a little more closely.

maximass
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Learn together Maximass....most fun you can have with your cloths on....:D

LOL sounds liek good excuse

maximass
07-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Me, I'd ask Pugwash what he picks up that's less than a year old and broken down.

I suspect the answer would be "motorbikes".

I've seen MOD and AA figures that suggest that the chances of a break down occurring are at their highest in the first six months of a vehicles life, and immediately after a service.

If it's really that important, you might want to look at that a little more closely.

Was hoping to go to triek day at ACE today but had to do some side work

Will ask cosst etc at next show I go to from people. As do haev various questions to ask people like breakdown recovery, parking, etc