View Full Version : need a 125

05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Need a 125 for my boy. he wants to do the A2 licence as soon as he can but needs somat to practice on.
I cannot believe the price of second hand, very used, half trashed 125's. I can get a 750 cheaper. I payed 80 for my 125 :D

05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I noticed that as well, must be fuel prices anything with an MOT seems to be 400+

Metal Ken
05-08-2008, 05:43 PM
The are in demamd as a lot of folk ride them with just a CBT,

05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Got one to collect for my wife then son to their test on,as my cousin has just passed hers. To buy now are extortionate:(

05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
How about a 100, rather than a 125? they're quite plentiful and a lot cheaper than 125s, cos I don't think you can sit your test on 'em, and have to hire a 125 from the school instead

Heres one on ebay for 250

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1982-SUZUKI-A-100-N-RED_W0QQitemZ260271211673QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 60271211673&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
s ended that brilliant lil bikes I had one o them decades ago, cant you do your test on em no more ... ? Bugger

05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I think you can take test on a 100 cc,not sure though. isn't it down to bhp?

05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Dvla says this:

If your motorcycle is less than 75 cc it is not acceptable for the practical motorcycle test. If you pass your practical test on a motorcycle with automatic or semi-automatic transmission, this will be recorded on your licence. Your full licence entitlement will be restricted to motorcycles in this category.

A light motorcycle (category A1) is defined as a solo motorcycle between 75 and 125 cc, with a power output not exceeding 11 kilowatts (kW) (maximum 14.6 brake horse power (bhp)). Please see note 1.

A standard motorcycle (category A) is defined as a solo motorcycle between 121 and 125 cc, capable of exceeding 100 km/h (62.1mph). Please note that the BMW C1 motorcycle is not a suitable machine for a practical test. Please see note 2.

Which I think means that you can take your Light Motorcycle test on a 100, but that only allows you to ride a light motorcycle - thats up to 125 cc and less than 11kw.

Bu to pass the standard test, you need a 121-125cc bike.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong tho, cos I bought my lad a 100, and if he can take his test on it that 'd be grand. and a saving too.

05-08-2008, 08:25 PM
should have read whole doco:

1. A light motorcycle licence (category A1) will give you full licence entitlement to ride machines up to 125 cc with a power output of up to 11 kW.
2. A standard motorcycle licence (category A) will restrict you for a period of two years to riding machines with a power output not exceeding 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After the two year period you may ride any motorcycle.
3. If you are aged 21 or over you can take the test on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). If successful you can then ride any motorcycle.

so it looks like he does need to do it on a 125


05-08-2008, 08:47 PM
The nice chap i rang from the local training centre said it had to be a 125 :(

07-08-2008, 07:12 AM
To put my two bits in....

Buy a 100 then hire on the day - if you take your own and theres something wrong with it your wont be able to take the test. Where as hiring one you have a good chance of comeback (cost of test etc...)

07-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Just have to remember that most 100's are 2 stroke (except cb100) and hire bikes are almost exclusively 4 stroke 125's. YOu would want to practice a bit as jumping from 1 to the other for the first time at the test centre is not to be recommended.