PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Sierra Trike Ignition Wiring - Please!!!

Big Daz
20-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know anything about sierra ignition wiring. :confused:
We're trying to sort out the ignition module on a 98/99 1.6 laser engine.
We've connected everything up, but arn't getting a spark at the coil, and we've tried 2 different coils and leads.
I've been over and over the wiring diagram in the haynes manuel i've got and as far as i can see it's all ok.

Anybody any idea's??

Thanks

kiffer38
20-04-2006, 11:05 PM
sounds like youve got the same type of problem ive got, i need some1 who has some idea how to wire up a vauxhaull carlton engine and auto box into my trike :confused: , good luck with yours, mate :) hmmmm, did the car have an anti theft device????????????

trikerdrew
21-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Trike tek ran a wiring diagram for a sierra I reckon.Worth having a look through back issues.

I'll have a rumage :eek: .

I guess it is a carb pinto motor we're looking at?

Big Daz
21-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes mate, it is carb. It's got a 6 wire ignition module on it as well.
we're getting power to the coil but no spark from the coil ht lead. we know the coil is fine (both have come from running cars) and the ht leads look ok.
It's the only thing stopping us from starting the engine.

Anyone know what a "cranking feed" is?? :confused:
My mates been looking at the book and looks very confused.

ratwing
21-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Cranking feed - sounds like something to do with the ballast resistor?

trikerdrew
21-04-2006, 11:33 AM
The feed is alot higher ampage than is normally required.This is usually allowed to flow through a ballast resistor.

Back to starting the beast.

Consulting holy haynes(book of lies) manual.I reckon you must have the inductive ignition type module.

Ties in with six wires as you stated.Guess you have the same diagram?I'll go through the wires anyhow.
It's chapter 13.39 wiring diagrams.Ignition module is #54.
Brown to earth.Second wire brown connects toGreen wire that then goes to104-ignition coil & 145-surpressor which goes from there to terminal 11 on instrument panel(tacho).
third wire black/green.-common cranking feed.s1042
fourth. Black.Goes to three things.

1.fuel shut-off valve.#76
2.common ignition feed.s1012
3.black to ignition coil

fifth wire.black red goes to trigger side #15

last.no 6.green/yellow goes to #1 inductive side of trigger.

from the coil other wire goes to dizzy completing l/t side of things.

That is the ignition side done .if that sorts it cool.if not starting circuits/fuel?

Let me know how you get on :)

Big Daz
22-04-2006, 10:38 AM
yes, we've got thehaynes manual and followed to the letter.
really confusing as doesnt match up with real life. no tacho on dash and no. 11 is connected to something else. no probs with fuel. the garage stunk of petrol for ages. just no spark from coil. back to the drawing board. :(

Big Daz
22-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Just spoke to my mate.

He's got a old style points dizzy coming this afternoon complete so we're going to give that a go. At least we know what we're doing with them.

Thanks for the help.

trikerdrew
22-04-2006, 11:25 AM
That's enough about me :D .

Thought might not be collapsing the trigger bit which would leave coil live but no spark-proper b'tad thing :mad: .

Dizzy sounds smart move.Straightforward no hidden gremlins.I hate black box sealed eleckrikery things.

All the best.

Drew

bobulator2
26-04-2006, 10:52 PM
dont know how much help this will be, but.............

if you still want to use electronic ignition on your 1600 pinto then you could always rob a 2.0 pinto Mk3 Granada, the ignition loom on these is seperate to the rest of the loom and can just be unplugged from the rest of the loom and removed without the need for cutting wires. The ignition components from a 2.0 work fine on a 1.6 as it is a very basic system.

You probably know this next anyway but, a standard 2.0 cam goes straight in a 1600 for a bit of a power boost, but due to differing valve train geometry you cant use any of performance cams designed for the 2.0.

I used to fiddle with a lot of old Fords, I'm only down the road in Mansfield so if you want any help give me a shout. I think I've got a few pinto electronic dizzy's kicking around from the days we used to rob sierra's of 205 block pinto's and retrofit point and coil dizzy's for bunging in capri's - ur welcome to them if I can find them (and assuming I havent thrown them out in a garage clear up)

Big Daz
27-04-2006, 12:15 PM
IT LIVES!! MMUUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And its sounds better than i could ever have expected.

put the dizzy on, un-ballasted coil, new plugs and 20quid to a bloke who knew what he was doing and it started first turn of the key.

just got some bits and bobs to do and we'll be test riding it on sunday

pics will follow!!

Many thanks to all who tried to help

cheers!! :p

trikerdrew
27-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Good to hear it's sorted.

What was it in the end? :confused:

Big Daz
28-04-2006, 08:16 AM
was the feed wire to the coil. we put it to the acc pole on the ignition switch not realising that that pole drops the voltage to 0 when you turn the key.

that and the sparks plugs were knackered - when we went to take one out to check for a spark the plug was over tightend and the enamel smashed.

never mind, sorted now - starts first turn of the key every time :D