PDA

View Full Version : USA intervenes in yalks to get Turkey into EU

UKRobT309
03-10-2005, 01:21 PM
1) Keep your fuckin noses out USA.
2) Fuck off EU, you seem intent on doing everything you can to fuck up my bloody country.
3) I guess with all the liberal wankers etc in the EU Turkey well get in. That means more feckin Turks to come to Britain scrounging along with all the other wankers. You cant move round here for Poles, Ukrainians, Russians etc etc etc etc.
5) Oh how i wish Enoch Powell was prime minister.
FUCK FUCK FUCK EM ALL :mad:
Fluffy nice rob is dead and gone, welcome back ROB. :mad:

Abb
03-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Turkey in the EU would open up another easy access route for terrorists.

The only Turkey I want in my EU is the one on my plate at Yule.

Yoda
03-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Well I dont give a **** - I Live my life my way and I live more of a life in one year than a lot of people do in a lifetime, and even if I get blown up tomorrow, I can safely say, I have no regrets

Politics - no use moaning about it, if people want to try to change things then their attitude is wrong :)
Because the Great Yoda once said 'Do, or do not. There is no 'try'

Yoda (the great philiosopher) :) :)

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Having spent quite a bit of time in Turkey (my 2nd fave country), I hope they get in.
They have been bending over backwards to comply with the hurdles the EU has been setting them. If we screw them over this - we will be making a rod 4 our own backs.
Remember the idiotic way we guided them into suppoorting Germany in the War? All our own fault that. I hope that doesnt hapen again.
They are a proud people, slow to anger, but when angrey are leathal.
The only Turk who would want to live here is a Kerdish Turk - and the Kurds will benifit from the protection of the EU in such a way that they will want to stay at home. This will solve a lot of migration problems.
Turkey also knows a lot about border control, they have been at war with many of theor nabours and take border control seriously.
With national service for all young men, they have an emence military workforce.
To say that Turkey is a Muslim country is like saying the UK is Christian - true(ish) but not representative of how seriously most people take the religeon. No Turkish minister is alowed to be an active religeous leader as well (no Ian Paisleys).
I seriously hope they come in.

Abb
03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Fuck em, I still haven't forgivven them for Gallipoli.

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Phew - they are in..........http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4305500.stm

Abb
03-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Fuck em, I still haven't forgiven them for Gallipoli.

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Fuck em, I still haven't forgivven them for Gallipoli.

It was a mess that should never have happened.
Do you know how Turkey ended up on the wrong side?

Abb
03-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Of course I do......

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Of course I do......

Well then, you can't exactly blame them for Gallipoli eh?
They fought well against a total botch job.
Churchill was almost done over that, and his plan was to go by ship - that may have worked, they should have tried again, not had a beach party when they should have been making for the hills.
Mind you, if Gallipoli hadn't have happened, Chirchill may not have learnt the lessons that were used on D-Day

Abb
03-10-2005, 02:33 PM
The whole attack on that Front was doomed from the start. It was just too big an area to open up a front on. If we had managed to push through from the beach-head, we'd have come unstuck somewhere else.

Ever heard the song "The band played Waltzing Matilda"?

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
The whole attack on that Front was doomed from the start. It was just too big an area to open up a front on. If we had managed to push through from the beach-head, we'd have come unstuck somewhere else.

Ever heard the song "The band played Waltzing Matilda"?

No - hows it go?

Fran
03-10-2005, 02:57 PM
You let people into the Eurovision song contest & this is what happens....... :D

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 03:02 PM
You let people into the Eurovision song contest & this is what happens....... :D

Does that mean that Isreal will be next?

Grav
03-10-2005, 03:03 PM
What are " Yalks?"

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 03:06 PM
What are " Yalks?"

It's the way Yanks talk I suppose

Grav
03-10-2005, 03:10 PM
It's the way Yanks talk I suppose

I reckon it is some turkish word for " Hey up lads, lets con the english"

Fran
03-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Does that mean that Isreal will be next?

Of course,otherwise why would they bother with the song contest? :rolleyes:

Grav
03-10-2005, 03:16 PM

cos it gave their Tranny summat to do.

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 03:17 PM

I think that winning it, should be a reason to turn a country down - i meaN THE WHOLE POINT IS TO LOOSE!! (damb Caps Lock)

slob
03-10-2005, 03:38 PM
I can safely say, I have no regrets
)

doing better than me then my life is full of them :(

Grav
03-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I think that winning it, should be a reason to turn a country down - i meaN THE WHOLE POINT IS TO LOOSE!! (damb Caps Lock)

Norway have it down to a fine art, they scored Nil Points one year. :D

krammer
03-10-2005, 03:47 PM
it does'nt matter a jot what people think turkey will become a full member of the eu within the next ten years. geo-political pressure's (the US of A) dictate that this will happen. as part of eastern turkey border's iraq we might as well invite them to join our club as well. i must say i admired austria for taking a stand but sadly they will have to bow to external pressure's.

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
it does'nt matter a jot what people think turkey will become a full member of the eu within the next ten years. geo-political pressure's (the US of A) dictate that this will happen. as part of eastern turkey border's iraq we might as well invite them to join our club as well. i must say i admired austria for taking a stand but sadly they will have to bow to external pressure's.

I think the USA hates the EU - we are the only thing between them and world domination. One of these days it looks like the EU will have to give the USA a slapping - the sooner the better I say!
I am not nuts about the EU by any means - but if it was a choice between EU and USA - EU any time! I wish we would show a bit more independance from USA sometimes.

UKRobT309
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I think the USA hates the EU - we are the only thing between them and world domination. One of these days it looks like the EU will have to give the USA a slapping - the sooner the better I say!
I am not nuts about the EU by any means - but if it was a choice between EU and USA - EU any time! I wish we would show a bit more independance from USA sometimes.
Now this i actually agree with although it kinda contadicts what i said before. Im sick to the back teeth of this New World Order from the USA. I mean its not even a country as such, just a load of mismatching ideas and the likes with no culture apart from what has been bought or stolen. Even its film making industry has to lie and invent a history to try and give its people an identity. :mad:

Abb
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
No - hows it go?

Now when I was a young man I carried me pack
And I lived the free life of the rover.
From the Murray's green basin to the dusty outback,
Well, I waltzed my Matilda all over.
Then in 1915, my country said, "Son,
It's time you stop ramblin', there's work to be done."
So they gave me a tin hat, and they gave me a gun,
And they marched me away to the war.

And the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"
As the ship pulled away from the quay,
And amidst all the cheers, the flag waving, and tears,
We sailed off for Gallipoli.

And how well I remember that terrible day,
How our blood stained the sand and the water;
And of how in that hell that they call Suvla Bay
We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter.
Johnny Turk, he was waitin', he primed himself well;
He showered us with bullets, and he rained us with shell --
And in five minutes flat, he'd blown us all to hell,
Nearly blew us right back to Australia.

But the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"
When we stopped to bury our slain,
Well, we buried ours, and the Turks buried theirs,
Then we started all over again.

And those that were left, well, we tried to survive
In that mad world of blood, death and fire.
And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive
Though around me the corpses piled higher.
Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over head,
And when I woke up in me hospital bed
And saw what it had done, well, I wished I was dead --
Never knew there was worse things than dying.

For I'll go no more "Waltzing Matilda,"
All around the green bush far and free --
To hump tents and pegs, a man needs both legs,
No more "Waltzing Matilda" for me.

So they gathered the crippled, the wounded, the maimed,
And they shipped us back home to Australia.
The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane,
Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla.
And as our ship sailed into Circular Quay,
I looked at the place where me legs used to be,
And thanked Christ there was nobody waiting for me,
To grieve, to mourn and to pity.

But the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"
As they carried us down the gangway,
But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared,
Then they turned all their faces away.

And so now every April, I sit on my porch
And I watch the parade pass before me.
And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march,
Reviving old dreams of past glory,
And the old men march slowly, all bones stiff and sore,
They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war
And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"
And I ask meself the same question.

But the band plays "Waltzing Matilda,"
And the old men still answer the call,
But as year follows year, more old men disappear
Someday, no one will march there at all.

Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda.
Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?
And their ghosts may be heard as they march by the billabong,
Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me?

krammer
03-10-2005, 04:13 PM
what i don't understand is what are we so (generally speaking) anti european for anyway? i have spent a lot of time in europe particularly belgium, holland and germany and i don't see street's ankle deep in trash. the people are friendly, polite and hospitable. obviously life on the continent is far from perfect but we can learn a lot from folk's over the channel.

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Now this i actually agree with although it kinda contadicts what i said before. Im sick to the back teeth of this New World Order from the USA. I mean its not even a country as such, just a load of mismatching ideas and the likes with no culture apart from what has been bought or stolen. Even its film making industry has to lie and invent a history to try and give its people an identity. :mad:

Oh no...... 1st Abb and me agree on summut - no we agree on summut - something must be wrong! ;)

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 04:20 PM
what i don't understand is what are we so (generally speaking) anti european for anyway? i have spent a lot of time in europe particularly belgium, holland and germany and i don't see street's ankle deep in trash. the people are friendly, polite and hospitable. obviously life on the continent is far from perfect but we can learn a lot from folk's over the channel.

I dont think that people are generally against it. Just those that are shout the loudest. British public was the 2nd most suppoortive of the Turkish application.
I dont think there is a problem with europeans, but as Major told me recently, the EU is more beurocratically controlled than elected reps controlled, the commisions are powerful and answerable to no one. - bit scary that.

krammer
03-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I dont think there is a problem with europeans, but as Major told me recently, the EU is more beurocratically controlled than elected reps controlled, the commisions are powerful and answerable to no one. - bit scary that

can't argue with that cookie old chap..

Cook1e
03-10-2005, 04:27 PM
I dont think there is a problem with europeans, but as Major told me recently, the EU is more beurocratically controlled than elected reps controlled, the commisions are powerful and answerable to no one. - bit scary that

can't argue with that cookie old chap..

Not you now..........this is no fun anymore - where is the violent disagreements !!!!!!!
Oh yeh, the Yanks are on a different time scale to us - I can count on them to disagee.....

krammer
03-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Not you now..........this is no fun anymore - where is the violent disagreements !!!!!!!
Oh yeh, the Yanks are on a different time scale to us - I can count on them to disagee.....peace brother! :D

UKRobT309
03-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh yeh, the Yanks are on a different time scale to us - I can count on them to disagee.....
You feckin gob****e faggot leftie pinko twat faced knobhead, yer talkin ****e and now im gonna burn you on a cross and bury your remains in a shallow grave on the marshes.
Hows that? Happy now? :D

wearthefoxhat
03-10-2005, 05:01 PM
The Turks are in contravention of more UN edicts than any other country, with the possible exception of Israel

The Turks refuse to acknowledge Cyprus as an EU member

The Turks refuse to acknowledge or admit their guilt in the Armenian genocide

The Turks have systematically oppressed the Kurds for 100 years.

The Turks have a politician who is trying to abring in Sharia law. He has already tried (and failed) to get adultery recognised as an offence in line with the Koran. Now he is having all the bars in a certain town demolished (source- Daily Telegraph two weeks ago) and moved out of the area.

Turkey is partially in Asia. If Turkey becomes a paid up member and signs the Schengen Treaty, they will have to patrol their borders religiously, since any person who gets into Turkey will have free right of travel within the EU since Schengen signees have no internal border controls. (BTW, the UK is the only mainland country that DIDN'T sign the Schengen Treaty)

And finally.

Within the past year, Condaleeza Rice and Dick Cheney have both given speeches in the EU on how we should be accepting Turkey as a member and how we are wrong not to greet them with open arms
This last should be reason enough alone not to ask Turkey to join. It will upset the real life game of Risk! that Dubya seems to be playing.
If it pisses on his chips, so much the better

In the 1970's there was a national referendum. Should we join the Common Market or not? The common Market consisted of nine countries at that time
And at no time were we told that within 30 years the Common Market would expand to 25 countries with the likes of Romania and Bulgaria lined up ready to join and Turkey and Croatia banging on the door.
We were lied to.

Personally, I would leave the EU. The entire system relies on unelected fuckpigs who can't be sacked (Remember Edith Cresson, anyone??) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/intl/article/0,9171,1107990329-22866,00.html. Norway survive outside the EU, so can we.

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 06:45 PM
I see I can still kill a thread stone dead then......

All is not lost, France and Germany are both rabidly anti, and have promised referendums.
I think we should do the same.

And another referendum for Croatia, who want to join but don't want to hand over their alleged war criminals

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 07:58 PM
once a thread killer,

Always a thread killer........... :rolleyes:

Grav
04-10-2005, 07:59 PM
You are pretty good at it though. :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 08:01 PM
once a thread killer,

Always a thread killer........... :rolleyes:
Nah, not at all mate, i agree with ya. See the Yank contingent have been quiet on here :D

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 08:07 PM
You are pretty good at it though. :D

Pretty bleedin' effective eh?

You should see me atta party.
people would rather go outside in the depths of winter if I'm in the kitchen....

saxman
04-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Pretty bleedin' effective eh?

You should see me atta party.
people would rather go outside in the depths of winter if I'm in the kitchen....

i told you.

its the hat. :rolleyes:

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Love me, love my hat(s)

The sad news
Majestic Wine Warehouses have stopped selling Freixinet Cava.
They were selling this at 30% off.

so I have been forced to buy a substitute in the form of 'Cristalino' Cava.

I am going upstairs for a Bath and taking a bottle with me since SWMBO is out for the evening and the sprogs are in bed.
I have a spa bath wiv air pumps and water jets.
It's like having chronic flatulence in the bath but without the smell

I may be some time :D

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Nah, not at all mate, i agree with ya. See the Yank contingent have been quiet on here :D

Rob, there are more shady deals going on here than you can shake a stick at.
It's being engineered by politicians who don't have to live with them and whose children don't have to go to school with them.

The only person who should allowed to be a politician is someone who doesn't want to be one.
Failing that, they should be appointed under the old Roman Law of quamdiu se bene gesserit
Which basically means that that person is in office as long as they do a good job. The moment they slack in anyway (including giving your former employers the bestest jobs at top pay) they're out on their feckin' ear.

Which confiscations of estates and rights if I had my way..

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Rob, there are more shady deals going on here than you can shake a stick at.
It's being engineered by politicians who don't have to live with them and whose children don't have to go to school with them.

The only person who should allowed to be a politician is someone who doesn't want to be one.
Failing that, they should be appointed under the old Roman Law of quamdiu se bene gesserit
Which basically means that that person is in office as long as they do a good job. The moment they slack in anyway (including giving your former employers the bestest jobs at top pay) they're out of their feckin' ear.

Which confiscations of estates and rights if I had my way..
Well i was thinking we should have a hung parliament at the mo, hung the whole feckin lot from the lamp posts down Pall Mall :D

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Well i was thinking we should have a hung parliament at the mo, hung the whole feckin lot from the lamp posts down Pall Mall :D

Can't argue with that...death is to good for them just for the constant knee jerks. Made sure THEY got their damn pensions, didn't they.
Can I be the one to support John Prescott's feet so he asphixiates slowly??
Please?

wearthefoxhat
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
USA intervenes in yalks to get Turkey into EU

What is a feckin yalk anyway??

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
USA intervenes in yalks to get Turkey into EU

What is a feckin yalk anyway??
Its like a big goat mate, they spit at ya when theyre angry. :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I asked the very same question about 30 posts ago. :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I asked the very same question about 30 posts ago. :D
Yeah, but your so easy to ignore :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, but your so easy to ignore :D

I am gonna haunt you for that :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I am gonna haunt you for that :D
Im sure you couldnt be any more annoying so no worries :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Im sure you couldnt be any more annoying so no worries :D
I bet you're gay. :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I bet you're gay. :D
Yes, i am indeed quite happy thank you very much :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Yes, i am indeed a big girly shirtlifter thank you very much :D
*snigger* :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 09:51 PM
*nigger* :D
Racist bigot :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm the only Gay Racist Bigot in the village:D

We know. :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 09:55 PM
I know im a fudge packing turd burglar :D
Ah well, it was kind of obvious really :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Ah well, it was kind of obvious really, The Jizz dribbling down my chin was a dead giveaway:D

* hdhjffjahrgfyvahbvfv*:D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
* hdhjffjahrgfyvahbvfv*:D this is how i speak after Mr Big has had me for the tenth time up my poop chute. I love it though.
To much info mate, your weird. I didnt need to know you got dyslexia from havin it up the arse, really didnt. :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 10:07 PM
did you know I got dyslexia from havin it up the arse, really I did. :D

Too easy...... :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I take it up the rusty star fish Too easy, about time i got meself a butt plug..... :D
Great, now yer telling me youve got a slack arse. Im gonna have nightmares tonight :D

Grav
04-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Great, now I've got a slack arse. Im gonna have to fill it up with a sheep and several gerbils tonight :D

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting habit. :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:17 PM
being straight is Disgusting, absolutely disgusting habit. I'll take it up the **** box anytime thank you very much :D
Oh dear oh dear oh dear :( Theres coming out of the closet and theres just being over the bloody top. Trust you Grav to really push it to the limit.

Grav
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh dear oh dear oh dear, heres me, coming out of the closet and theres no stopping me now. I'm so outrageously gay, I just love cumming over the face of a young ladyboy. Trust me to really push it to the limit.

* snigger again * :D

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:28 PM
* I'd like that big well hung nigger again *, i couldnt walk straight for days after. Sorted me piles though :D
:cool:

Grav
04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
My knob is smaller than a mouses clit :cool:

:p

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
:p I like rimming mens bottoms, a spot of felching usually puts a smile on my face to but the ultimate is having 2 men at a time.

Grav
04-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not shagging mice anymore, the last one called me Just in. I will have to resort to my previous habit of fisting sheep and being an onanist.

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
GRAV IS GAY

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
GRAV IS GAY
No returns cause im not playing anymore :p

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
GRAV IS GAY

UKRobT309
04-10-2005, 10:52 PM
GRAV IS GAY
:p .............................

Grav
04-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Hahaha! I'm a Gay boy :D Look at me mincing my way around the forum!

Rob is a poof!

tease
05-10-2005, 06:40 AM
didnt you say you DIDNT want the us contingent to speak up?

Afterall this isnt like the us elections where some other country tried to put their noses in to determine an outcome :D

Personally I dont have an opinion on Turkey becoming an EU member and I do think that Europe should govern as it sees fit without outside influence.

I will say that the remark slaggin ght US and saying it is not a country is well fucked up, but then again it seems that while some will say that they are good people and did not mean it the way it was written, they will continue to put down a country and a people for the politicians who govern it.

Other than that I have no problems with anything, but it seems funny that, as cookie pointed out, the UK was the 2nd largest supporter of it. Jack Straw seems to be the one who influenced Austri to change its vote to do this, so Austria could get the votes it wanted for Croatia. Stones and glass houses comes to mind....... ;)

Again though, I have no opinion on it, I have never been to Turkey but have spent time in Croatia and will say that this area needs alot of help, in that Im not talking of politicians, but the old ladies who have to walk for miles dragging a cart just to get safe water, Im talking of the hundreds of land mines I pulled out of the ground so the farmers could work fields, Im talking of the school with sprawl marks from the direct hit it took from artillery because it was a Bosnian school.

On Turkey? I have no opinion

UKRobT309
05-10-2005, 07:59 AM
I will say that the remark slaggin ght US and saying it is not a country is well fucked up, but then again it seems that while some will say that they are good people and did not mean it the way it was written, they will continue to put down a country and a people for the politicians who govern it.

Nope, you'll find i pretty much stand what i say unless proved wrong then i will still stand by what i say cause im a complete bastard :D
Actually you well mostly find that i put down the USA goverment as i do the British goverment. You well also find me slating my own country for its dumb arse way of doing things etc, sorry Tease, the USA is not beyond being slated.
I have family in the USA, i have visited there, i have met a lot of Yanks etc and they basically seemed good people, not a lot different from us, especially when i visited there. The problem is the people of any country do have to take responsibility for their goverment as they are the people who voted in their goverments.
Another thing, America wants to put its self in the limelight? Then it should expect some bad fruit and the likes to be thrown at it. The USA is not god like, its not a higher being so on so forth and as such should take on board criticism. But this is where it falls down, it just blindly ambles on bullying people into doing what it wants and woe betide anyone that questions it or dislikes it. Much like the bully at school and as such should be put in its place.
I seriously think there are a lot of good, normal nice people in the USA as there is in a lot of countries but the rest of the world doesnt run around telling everyone its the best and we should all live to their standards. As such, the good people of the USA are going to cop the flack as much as the bad ones.
Its up to you tease. You can take it personal or see it as a broader picture but im quite happy standing by what i say. Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 08:32 AM
The problem is the people of any country do have to take responsibility for their goverment as they are the people who voted in their goverments.

As much as I hate the american polititians, I dont blame the yanks - Bush cheats in elections - did this time as well as last time. Dont know the answer, but you cant blame the people.
And why does the USA politicians voice support for Turkey? Cos' that helps the USA keep using Turkey soil for air basses.............

Abb
05-10-2005, 08:43 AM
First point. I think Wearthefoxhat is an RP1?

Abb
05-10-2005, 08:46 AM
The citizens of the US don't hate the EU. US politicians don't hate the EU. They don't like it either as it provides a big trade bloc that they have to fight against.

I hate the EU. I want Britain to govern itself. We could too, if we left the EU we could trade on an equal footing with the EU and maintain our own independance. Don't agree? It works well for Denmark.

UKRobT309
05-10-2005, 08:49 AM
The citizens of the US don't hate the EU. US politicians don't hate the EU. They don't like it either as it provides a big trade bloc that they have to fight against.

I hate the EU. I want Britain to govern itself. We could too, if we left the EU we could trade on an equal footing with the EU and maintain our own independance. Don't agree? It works well for Denmark.
Nope i agree but would also prefer to be part of Europe than another state of the USA. Bugger, im moving to Tibet to be a monk. :D

Abb
05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Nope i agree but would also prefer to be part of Europe than another state of the USA. Bugger, im moving to Tibet to be a monk. :D

Becoming a US state is never going to be an option. That is just something put about by the left wing press and pro Europeans to worry the masses.

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 08:54 AM

I think we should have kept to the commonwealth, we screwed those countries over because of EU, disgusting really. They sent their young men to fight with us and now we tell them we cant buy their goods. Some of those countries were single crop producers - because we wanted them that way - now they are stuffed.

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Becoming a US state is never going to be an option. That is just something put about by the left wing press and pro Europeans to worry the masses.

Litterally, of course we are not - but we act like their lap dog sometimes!

Abb
05-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Agreed, but the people were never given the choice.

Abb
05-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Litterally, of course we are not - but we act like their lap dog sometimes!

No we don't. Just imagine how bad things would be in Iraw were it not for British soldiers being on the ground. Imagine just how bad it would be were Blair not whispering caution into the ear of Bush. We went along with the decision to go to war because they are our Allies and our Friends. I backed the decision then, and I do so now. The UN was dilly dallying around the Iraq issue - with hindsight it is apparent why, as there were many of the officials and aides who were on the take. Action needed to be taken.

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
No we don't. Just imagine how bad things would be in Iraw were it not for British soldiers being on the ground. Imagine just how bad it would be were Blair not whispering caution into the ear of Bush. We went along with the decision to go to war because they are our Allies and our Friends. I backed the decision then, and I do so now. The UN was dilly dallying around the Iraq issue - with hindsight it is apparent why, as there were many of the officials and aides who were on the take. Action needed to be taken.

Do you think he would have got so much support if we had been dead against it? Stood up to him?
I thought Blair was wispering caution at the time. What I have read since shows me that he thought he could change Bushies mind - Blair seriously didnt think it would end in war. then suddenly he found himself with no way back.
Iraq is looking like it can not be governed in the 'western' way. They had a way to run a country, and as abhorant it may be to us 'developed' countries, it was their way. We had dictators in this country not all that long a go.
I believe that all countries should be free to develop at their own pace and in their own way. They may not be on the same path as ours.
Africa had its own VERY good way of governing itself before the west messed them up, they will have to go back to where they were to continue now. We never learn our lessons from history do we?
What possible threat was Sadam eh? Did Afganistan threaten the US? They were invaded because they didnt give up BibLaden - they said they didnt have him - and guess what - we cant find him either. There were no weapons of Mass distruction, etc. etc. They cant change the facts - the US is an oppressive, colonialistic government, bent on propping up a failing economy, failing ideals and a corrupt system. I just hope we dont all go down with them.

ST Prime Directive.
As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Star Fleet personnel may interfere with the healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes the introduction of superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely.

UKRobT309
05-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Do you think he would have got so much support if we had been dead against it? Stood up to him?
I thought Blair was wispering caution at the time. What I have read since shows me that he thought he could change Bushies mind - Blair seriously didnt think it would end in war. then suddenly he found himself with no way back.
Iraq is looking like it can not be governed in the 'western' way. They had a way to run a country, and as abhorant it may be to us 'developed' countries, it was their way. We had dictators in this country not all that long a go.
I believe that all countries should be free to develop at their own pace and in their own way. They may not be on the same path as ours.
Africa had its own VERY good way of governing itself before the west messed them up, they will have to go back to where they were to continue now. We never learn our lessons from history do we?
What possible threat was Sadam eh? Did Afganistan threaten the US? They were invaded because they didnt give up BibLaden - they said they didnt have him - and guess what - we cant find him either. There were no weapons of Mass distruction, etc. etc. They cant change the facts - the US is an oppressive, colonialistic government, bent on propping up a failing economy, failing ideals and a corrupt system. I just hope we dont all go down with them.

ST Prime Directive.
As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Star Fleet personnel may interfere with the healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes the introduction of superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely.
****, this was a really good argument until you bought Star Trek into it. I agreed until then but now i cant cause yer a nerd :D

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
****, this was a really good argument until you bought Star Trek into it. I agreed until then but now i cant cause yer a nerd :D

Thank goodness for that - cant have us agreeing again - twice in one week!!!! eeekkkk

Abb
05-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Iraq is looking like it can not be governed in the 'western' way. They had a way to run a country, and as abhorant it may be to us 'developed' countries, it was their way.

No, Iraq could be governed in a Democratic way were they allowed to. They are currently fighting against terrorists who do not wish to see freedom prevail.

We had dictators in this country not all that long a go.

Indeed, we had Kings & Queens. It took the people standing up to sort it out. It took war and death to sort it out. Do you think that we would have been able to do it today, given that the people would be largely unarmed and the Army would have the top weapons? No, we would need help.

Even when that way is the way of a Nazi trained and funded Dictator?

Africa had its own VERY good way of governing itself before the west messed them up, they will have to go back to where they were to continue now. We never learn our lessons from history do we? No, Africa was always at war with itself. We came along and set up different boundaries, splitting tribes - bound to cause friction, but Africa was not a peaceful place at all - check your history on that one.

What possible threat was Sadam eh?

Funding and harbouring terrorists, launching chemical and biological attacks on neighbours, researching nuclear technology.

Did Afganistan threaten the US?

Dictatorial and oppressive regime who funded and harboured terrorists.

They were invaded because they didnt give up BibLaden - they said they didnt have him - and guess what - we cant find him either.

No they weren't - yes they did - time will tell.

There were no weapons of Mass distruction, etc. etc.

There is no conclusive proof that WMD were not moved into Syria etc before the invasion. Why do you think Syria is on the list?

They cant change the facts - the US is an oppressive, colonialistic government, bent on propping up a failing economy, failing ideals and a corrupt system. I just hope we dont all go down with them.

Failing economy? Failing Ideals? I don't think so.

ST Prime Directive.

Sad. Anorak. Geek.

El_Mick
05-10-2005, 10:39 AM
How come Bernard mathews aint said nowt about his turkies being joined to europe :confused:

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 10:47 AM
No, Iraq could be governed in a Democratic way were they allowed to. They are currently fighting against terrorists who do not wish to see freedom prevail...
You seem to think that ALL countries should be little imitations of ours - who says that OUR way is right and who says that WE have the right to impose that way on others?
Indeed, we had Kings & Queens. It took the people standing up to sort it out. It took war and death to sort it out. Do you think that we would have been able to do it today, given that the people would be largely unarmed and the Army would have the top weapons? No, we would need help...

What idiots sold Sadam the arms? ummm - oh yes - US!!!

No, Africa was always at war with itself. We came along and set up different boundaries, splitting tribes - bound to cause friction, but Africa was not a peaceful place at all - check your history on that one...

I didnt say that Africa was peaceful - I said Africa had its own VERY good way of governing itself
Funding and harbouring terrorists, launching chemical and biological attacks on neighbours, researching nuclear technology...

sounds like the good old USofArseholes to me

Dictatorial and oppressive regime who funded and harboured terrorists...

Yep - the hairy crack again

There is no conclusive proof that WMD were not moved into Syria etc before the invasion. Why do you think Syria is on the list?..

How far down the list are we? wHEN We have the only fossle fuel supplies left I suppose.

Failing economy? Failing Ideals? I don't think so..

Time will tell

Abb
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
You seem to think that ALL countries should be little imitations of ours - who says that OUR way is right and who says that WE have the right to impose that way on others?

Democracy is the only way forward. Surely you can see that people having a free choice in electing their leaders is better than having a dictator in charge?

What idiots sold Sadam the arms? ummm - oh yes - US!!! That has nothing to do with the analogy I was making between our struggle from the oppression of Monarchs and the Iraqi oppression under the Nazi boot of Saddam.

That said, their weapons come mainly from Russia, France and Germany. Next question?

I didnt say that Africa was peaceful - I said Africa had its own VERY good way of governing itself Yes, killing each other - which they are still doing. What's your point?

Our oil is generally not of industrial or petrolium grade. So we will be OK. Plus our oil fields will be exhausted before the Middle Eastern ones. Your point is negated and useless.

Anyway, we will all be running on alternate fuels before then.

Time will tell

Doro
05-10-2005, 12:10 PM
well I can't work out if the USA are pro Turkey or not - but if they're not - it probably has something to do with the Iranians being Turkish...or something like that, wasn't Persia part of the late great Ottoman Empire? The Americans don't like the Iranians.

anyway if they let Greece in, it's only fair to let Turkey in too :p

Abb
05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
anyway if they let Greece in, it's only fair to let Turkey in too :p

Glad you are taking the piss as I really don't want to get into human rights records, genocides etc etc.

Doro
05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
slightly off topic - I just did a search on EU stuff and found this

The Weights and Measures (Metrication Amendments) Regulations 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 85) will make it a criminal offence, from 2009, to even mention imperial measurements in trade, public health, public safety and administrative purposes

so they have only 4 years to change all the road signs etc to km instead of miles

it probably also means nurses won't be allowed to convert kg weights to stones and pounds for ikkle old ladies getting confused at check-ups :eek:

Doro
05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
criminal offence being the scary words here.....

Doro
05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Fuck em, I still haven't forgiven them for Gallipoli.

just spotted this

now what do you mean by this? - my history books had it down as something like nearly 100 times as many Turks died as Australians and Kiwis

surely the result of a battle has as much to do with the generals co-ordinating stuff from their white tents on the hill as with the men fighting down in the muddy field?

and if it's a war, then people die in wars - if they're soldiers it is part of the job?

I never heard of any atrocities during this campaign

bad leadership decisions maybe

anyway I'm interested in finding out more - and I mean from an unbiased :eek: website or summat?

I be your friend forever :)

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
just spotted this

now what do you mean by this? - my history books had it down as something like nearly 100 times as many Turks died as Australians and Kiwis

surely the result of a battle has as much to do with the generals co-ordinating stuff from their white tents on the hill as with the men fighting down in the muddy field?

and if it's a war, then people die in wars - if they're soldiers it is part of the job?

anyway I'm interested in finding out more - and I mean from an unbiased :eek: website or summat?

You just missed a very good documentary on it, showed how Chirchill almost came a cropper as it was his idea to open that frount, but his idea was to go by sea. 1st attempt got messed up and others decided to try a land assult.
It took quite a time for Chirchills name to be cleared and he spent the rest of that war in the trenches (mind you he didnt spend much time actually IN the trenches)

Abb
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
just spotted this

Gallipoli was a logistical nightmare on our part (British Tommies were there in large numbers as well as the Anzacs)

I was only messing about Gallipoli btw, Johhny Turk was a fearsome fighter who was defending his homeland and had the high ground.

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Gallipoli was a logistical nightmare on our part (British Tommies were there in large numbers as well as the Anzacs)

I was only messing about Gallipoli btw, Johhny Turk was a fearsome fighter who was defending his homeland and had the high ground.

And deserves to be part of the EU.............................? ;)

Abb
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
And deserves to be part of the EU.............................? ;)

When the apologise and recognise the Armenian genocide in 1915 (BTW Doro, that is one atrocity that took place nr Gallipoli)

When they acknowledge the existance of Greece and the existance of Greek Cyprus. When they open their human rights record up to examination and reform their systems.

Only then should they be considered part of the EU Debacle.

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 01:13 PM
When the apologise and recognise the Armenian genocide in 1915 (BTW Doro, that is one atrocity that took place nr Gallipoli)

When they acknowledge the existance of Greece and the existance of Greek Cyprus. When they open their human rights record up to examination and reform their systems.

Only then should they be considered part of the EU Debacle.

This maybe a good idea, however, the EU has been making them jump through hoops for years, you cant just add another list of things they have to do before joining.
Anyway, its a bit old now, looks like Austria has withdrawn its objection.
I think we should go back to the commonwealth

Abb
05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I think we should go back to the commonwealth

Seconded, a good idea.

tease
05-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Rob, I don't take piss taking seriously, I have too much New York in me to do that. ;)
I do think to make and form an opinion then want others to prove you wrong is ALMOST an ass backward way of doing things, but if it works for you? Who am I to say its wrong? Personally I like to get some research into something before I form an opinion then discuss it with others who have also looked into it to form a more educated opinion.

As to the EU thing? You can bet the US as well as all other large trade countries are watching, AND doing things behind the scenes, to influence outcomes, everyone has alot at stake in it, the trade monies are massive.

As to Turkey being admitted as well as Croatia? Well look at the geography of it, no country WANTS to be the border, that makes them the point of entry INTO the EU from the outside, there is no filtering element because they ARE the filter. Turkey is important for more reason than one, the first, as Abb said, is the airbases and defense, second is it makes it more ameniable to the middle east as they are Islamic. Can we say a bit of tokenism here?

I wont even pretend to try and tell anyone I know more than the average jellyfish about geo politics, but then I dont try to, I try to live my life by having fun and trying to be a decent person.

I dont think all countries should be little imitations of the US or the UK, just that they should be given some chance to develope into what IS right for them.

Personally I feel if anything should go away it is the UN! ;)

You are all welcome to your own opinions, but on the election? Well the alternative was a spineless, low class bum who voted whichever way the popular wind was blowing. By him losing next election will probably see Rudy Guilianni and Condi Rice v. Hillary (im the boss) Clinton and whoever is her lackey at the time, but if you want to look into corrupt elections read into what was going on with ol Billy Boy :D

Abb
05-10-2005, 03:18 PM
The next US presidential elections will be real interesting. Will Hillary Clinton really appeal to enough of the core Democrat vote? Will the US public elect a black vice president yet?

UKRobT309
05-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Rob, I don't take piss taking seriously, I have too much New York in me to do that. ;)
I do think to make and form an opinion then want others to prove you wrong is ALMOST an ass backward way of doing things, but if it works for you? Who am I to say its wrong?
I didnt say i want people to prove me wrong but if they have a good argument then i well listen, take it on board and maybe soften my stance. Im not into statistics and the likes though as they seem as corrupt as politicians. I mean you dont get a left wing party going to a right wing area to get its statistics and the likes do you if you see what i mean.
I say as i feel, i suppose i mostly act on knee jerk reactions and unless someone can prove me wrong then i well stick with them views.
Talkin of New York i couldnt believe the toilets in Grand Central Station, bloody ell, they were mint. I actually felt safe sitting on them and fellt guilty for putting my greasy paws on the polished brass rails etc. :D

Cook1e
05-10-2005, 03:23 PM
i couldnt believe the toilets in Grand Central Station, bloody ell, they were mint. I actually felt safe sitting on them and fellt guilty for putting my greasy paws on the polished brass rails etc. :D

Bloody hell you have been to that s h i t hole? ;)

Dougie
05-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Not especially keen on Turks,I know I shouldn't tar 'em all with the same brush,but there were parts of Celle in Germany (where I was stationed) that were bloody dangerous if you weren't Turkish.They didn't integrate at all,had their own little enclaves.Apart from that I had a Turk stick a loaded pistol in my ribs in a pub for no other reason than I was a Brit.Had it not been for the Kurdish barman who shoved a SERIOUS hand cannon up this bloke's nose and told him to fuck off I probably wouldn't be here today.Mebbe a bit irrational but once bitten etc....... :eek:

Gypsy
05-10-2005, 05:11 PM
It was a mess that should never have happened.
Do you know how Turkey ended up on the wrong side?

doro says - I don't know - was it the threat of Russia getting Constantinople that made em join up wif the Germans?

wearthefoxhat
06-10-2005, 09:06 PM
And finally................

Saddam was left in place by the US government after George Senior's advisors told him that the country would fall into civil war/anarchy if he was removed from power, The reasoning behind this was that Saddam Hussein al Tikri might be a nasty bastard but he was suppressing the undesirable elements within the country. i.e. The Shi'ia majority and the Kurds. Let alone a standing army of about 1 million

They found NO WMD. Hans Blix has already written that he was under pressure from the pentagon to say something along the lines of 'we haven't found anything YET, but we expect to' and that the Pentagon wnated him to write 'smoking gun reports'. Hans Blix resisted this manouvre and got a propaganda campaign against him for his troubles.
I won't go into David Kelly.

The allegation of attempting to purchase atomic technology from an unnamed source in Africa, was dismissed by the Pentagon over a year ago as being 'single sourced without corroboration'. In other words, there was no hard evidence

No WMD. To say that 'they might have removed it' is nonsense.
Why not say that thay packaged it and sent it via DHL to themselves. It's just as credible.

They used Chemical weapons against the Kurds. Winston Churchill wanted to use chemical weapons against the Kurds. The only tyhing that stopped his was we didn't have any. AND we had promised them a homeland and renaged on the deal

'He supported terrorism and had training camps'
Unfounded. The American military channel (AFRTS) said no. They never found any "positive proof"

"He supported Al-Quaida"
AFRTS say he was approached but turned them down

'He was a tyrant'
this is difficult. You are looking at a problem with Western eyes. All demoracy is going to do is give Iraq is power to the Majority, this is the way of democracy. When the majority are shi'ites, they will (within a decade) turn it into a theocracy. As in Iran. I see the Kurds and the Sunni's scuttling off to their area (ala Bosnia) and becoming federal.

And.
We look at these people and judge them by our standards.
Don't
Their leaders got into power by eradicating those who stood in their path to supremacy. They then emerge as a leader, but the western world don't see the huge amount of blood on their hands. The locals do see this and in their eyes that makes him a strong leader
In their society people respect a strong man. If he had to remove his opponents by gunfire; that's they way it is. You cannot hoist our standards upon a tribal society - it doesn't work.

I have seen things that most of you haven't.

I have lived in their countries so most of my understanding of those societies come from observations at close quarters rather than an editorial of Daily Mail.
In order to change them into our society (democracy) you would have to change their tribal lifestyle. If we want to do that - it's going to take generations it can't be done in a dacade, it would take many decades.

Let us not forget.
None of the perpetrators of the attack on the Twin Towers came from Iraq.
The majority came from Saudi Araba.
So.
Iraq had no WMD
Iraq weren't looking for nuclear weapons
Iraq weren't using chemical weapons (they DID, but they weren't at that time)
Iraq had oil.
Halliburton (Dick Cheney's former company) were given the contract to reclaim Iraq Oil without having to compete for it. The office (called RIO) (Reclaimation of Iraqi Oil) was based in Turkey, as it happens.
Kellog, Brown and Root (my former employers and a wholly owned subsidiary of Halliburton) were given the LOGCAP III contract without it going to tender.

If we removed Saddam Hussein al-Tikri (to give him his full name) because he was a Nasty Man and a Tyrant, we would have come out of this so much better if we had taken out a tyrant from another country. A military junta over here. A Despotic state over there. Removing Robert Mugabe. Taking North Korea out of the equation.
By not doing any of the above we have left ourselves wide open for cries of anti Islam and 'OIL'

Let's not even go into the snatching of IRA assets

Closed thread as far as I am concerned#
I have my ideas, you have yours.
let's not swap.

Abb
07-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Possibly not RP1 then.

Cook1e
07-10-2005, 09:06 AM
doro says - I don't know - was it the threat of Russia getting Constantinople that made em join up wif the Germans?

Oh. no - that wouldnt have been out fault.
No, the stupidest thing ever IMO.
Every turkish city, town and village raised money towards the first modern Turkish battle ship - to be built here, in Liverpool.
The war was looming and they wanted to protect themselves from all possible threats. (the bit of water going through Istanbul being very strategical in a war)
So the money was raised with much national pride and looking forward to the great british ship biulders to provide a stunning ship.
Britain wanted to know who was likely to be on which side in the event of war, and when asking Turkey, the response was 'we are going to be nuetral'.
Britain didnt like this idea at all and started to threaten Turkeys right to the ship - they had already paid for!
The long and the short is that Germany capitalised on this, and in a blinding move, offered Turkey 3 battle ships (manned by Germans of course) and hey presto, Turkey ends up on the wrong side.
This account is from 2 sources. A book by a british millitary advisor to the Turks, written from his diaries at the time and a very interesting talk with the oldest Turk I have ever had the pleasure of getting drunk with in Istanbul, whose Father, it appeared, was due to be captain of the ship that Turkey never recieved. The two stories tied in just right, so I find it compelling. How the official historical 'facts' relate this now, I do not know. Abbs?

Cook1e
07-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Not especially keen on Turks,I know I shouldn't tar 'em all with the same brush,but there were parts of Celle in Germany (where I was stationed) that were bloody dangerous if you weren't Turkish.They didn't integrate at all,had their own little enclaves.Apart from that I had a Turk stick a loaded pistol in my ribs in a pub for no other reason than I was a Brit.Had it not been for the Kurdish barman who shoved a SERIOUS hand cannon up this bloke's nose and told him to fuck off I probably wouldn't be here today.Mebbe a bit irrational but once bitten etc....... :eek:

Bloody hell, maybe the Germans rub off on them badly (hmmmm)
In all my time in Turkey, I only felt slightly threatened once. I have been to some pretty dodgy areas and not felt at risk.
Except in a little town called Sivas where I went when I was 18. They are pretty stricked about booze there, and I realy wanted some effes (the Turkish beer), asking everyone I met in the street where the beer was, and pointed, eventually, to a building on the outskirts of town.
The building looked like a disused old cinema, big posters of what looked like movie stars on the outside.
Went in (past a line of penguine bouncers) and get ushered to a small table in almost pitch black. Live music (if the durge could be called that) and no beer - yet.
Penguines trouped in a line of russian shot putters (well thats what they looked like to me) and through the Turkish I recognised, I worked out that I was ment to 'pick' one.
hmmmm
Not likely, but I wanted my beer!
So a bouncer brought me a beer, as if that was going to help me decide. I dont think they had anough beer to make me choose one of them!
Well, one got sent over and the line that came out of her mouth, just cracked me up so bad, even the musicians stopped playing....."you buy me dwink mister"?
OMG, I just couldnt stop laughing, I was in histerics, it was just sooo corny.
Lights went up, penguines came in, serounded the table, but I managed to calm down anough to drink my beer before leaving.
Felt pretty intimidated being serounded while drinking me beer theough.

Abb
07-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Turkey (Ottoman Empire than) came into the war by the end of October 1914, which had not yet recovered from its wars of 1911 to 1913. Turkey's treasury was empty. Its leader, a thirty-three year-old military officer and national hero, Enver Pasha, saw the war in Europe as an opportunity for Turkey to take back lands that had been absorbed by the Russian Empire. Enver dreamed of reinvigorating Turkey's empire. And Enver feared that if Britain, France and Russia won against Germany and Austria-Hungary, they might deprive Turkey of more of its empire. So he decided to take Turkey into the war on the side of Germany.

Ottoman Government ordered two battleships to England just before the war broke out and paid for them. But close relationship between Turkey and Germany scared the Allies and thus Britain decided to not to deliver those battleships which have already been paid. This caused an uproar among the Turks against Britain and their friends. This would be a great opportunity for Enver Pasha to use it against the Allies. Turkey cooperated with two German warships in the bombardment of two Russian seaports: Odessa and Nikolayev. Russia responded three days later, on November 2, by declaring war on Turkey. France declared against Turkey on November 5, and so too did Britain. And Britain found this an opportune time to annex Cyprus and Egypt, lands that had been nominally a part of Turkey's empire while under British authority.

Turkey closed the straits (Bosphorus and Dardanelles) between the Mediterranean and Black Seas, preventing Russia from exporting her wheat or receiving shipments of materials from her allies. To protect its oil wells in the Middle East, Britain moved a military force up the Persian Gulf to Iraq, where it began engaging Turkish forces. And in December, Turkey began an assault into Russia's Caucasus Mountains.

Frustration came with Turkey's failed offensive against the Russians in the Caucasus Mountains. In a five-day battle ending January 3, the Russians smashed Turkey's offensive, and of the 95,000 men that Turkey sent on the offensive only 18,000 returned, about 50,000 of them having frozen to death. The shocked Turkish people wondered who to blame for this disaster.

From http://www.allaboutturkey.com/gelibolu.htm

Abb
07-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Allied casualty figures:

Britain 120,000 casualties, 21,255 dead,
France 27,000 casualties, 10,000 dead,
Australia 26,111 casualties, 8,141 dead,
New Zealand 7,571 casualties, 2,431 dead,
India 1,350 dead,
Newfoundland 49 dead.