PDA

View Full Version : Ride a Trike; lean which way?

RebuiltYorkie
07-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I've been happily riding mi trike for three years, no problems, miss aps, etc...Then I read in the local paper the other day about the Triked Rocket 111, the guy was saying that it cost starts at 20,000 for the basic! More importantly he was rattling on about having to lean the oppersit way on corners as opposed to on a solo bike. Well I tried it out yesterday and it just don't work! What I'm trying to say is. If I was on a Combination then I would expect to have to do just that; however on my trike it's like having two side car's one either side! If I was to lean out to the outer turn on a left hand bend, my left hand back wheel would lift and the whole thing me included would be over and on our arse! Vice a Versa on the right hander. I don't lean either way I find that I sort of keep the trike straight and possition my body weight back onto the rear wheel of the inner turn and this seems to keep or reduce the pushing and lifting to a minimum? If you know what I mean?

Or am I riding wrong? :confused:

PS It's a GL 1000 Bike trike I have!

minxy
07-09-2005, 01:41 PM
If you lean the way you would on a bike you *could* I guess roll it - especially on some softails. I used to find it the best way of geting the outside wheel off the deck lol

I guess its probably your natural reaction to the feel of this possibly happening? ... just a thought

Cook1e
07-09-2005, 01:42 PM
It is going to depend alot on the trike I guess.
Mine wouldnt care if I leaned in any direction - it just wouldnt make any differance - it is probably heavier than most cars!

BigBod
07-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Your making my brain hurt just thinking about it......

Trike or combination, you lean the way you are turning. If your turning right then lean to the right, and vice versa.

If I was turning left on my combo and leaned right the chair would be up in the air and I'd probably be off....the bloke clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

Doro
07-09-2005, 02:23 PM
yeah independent suspension can change the handling of a trike a lot

Shaun the Fatman
07-09-2005, 02:49 PM
I suppose the Guy was thinking of the trike like a sailing boat, where they hook themselves over the windward side to stop the thing rolling over.. ummmm the flaw in that argument is that a trike aint a boat.

My particular thinking is that to lean into the corner is still logical, as it moves mass (you) towards the focus of the curve of the trikes path, like moving weight from the rim of a tyre towards the hub. As it simultaneously moves the centre of gravity in and down from the centre of the trike, it also pushes the tyres into the road allowing increased centripetal force (traction.. resistance to so-called centrifugal force) through the tyres pushing both down into the road.

Finally, if the whole b*stard lot starts to roll you can kick off and it rolls away from you. This could be considered important from a safety point of view.

I'll shut up now.

BigBod
07-09-2005, 03:29 PM
I suppose the Guy was thinking of the trike like a sailing boat, where they hook themselves over the windward side to stop the thing rolling over.. ummmm the flaw in that argument is that a trike aint a boat.

My particular thinking is that to lean into the corner is still logical, as it moves mass (you) towards the focus of the curve of the trikes path, like moving weight from the rim of a tyre towards the hub. As it simultaneously moves the centre of gravity in and down from the centre of the trike, it also pushes the tyres into the road allowing increased centripetal force (traction.. resistance to so-called centrifugal force) through the tyres pushing both down into the road.

Finally, if the whole b*stard lot starts to roll you can kick off and it rolls away from you. This could be considered important from a safety point of view.

I'll shut up now.

That's wot I said....innit? :D

Shaun the Fatman
07-09-2005, 03:45 PM
well yes. :o

but mine had more posh science words in. :cool:

johnr
07-09-2005, 03:48 PM
to be honest, i can see where the confusion lies, there is only one vehicle i have ever come across that you need to lean out on a bend on, everything else, you lean in on, trikes , bikes outfite, the lot. on an outfit, though you dont have to lean, it can help the conering, especially on left handers, but its by no means necessary. ditto on a trike, in fact, if your trike is likely to turn over if you dont lean, then i would think that its on the edge of stability anyway. i think the confusion afises from the fact that ,cornering a solo involves leaning the bike in, and if you look at some old bike racing pics, the riders are, on a left hand bend for example, leaning off the right of the bike,in order to keep themselves upright, and, in effect, pushing the bike down into the bend, the opposite is done on right handed corners. some more recent , indeed the modern moto gp, wsb, bsb,, and the majority of sports riders, will lean themselves into the bend, sometimes hanging off, in order to push the bike out on the bend, and maintain as much tyre contace as possible.
but on a tike, as in a car, the vehicle stays upright in corners, and the centrefugal forces make the rider feel thrown to the outside on bends,
and the only lean out vehicle? a little three wheeled honda trike. without a differential in the back axle, the thing wont steer, even turning to full lock will have ony a fraction of effect, the wheel skipping merrily along on its side, as the trike went straight on. however, leaning out took the inside wheel off the ground and allowed it to steer, but it was a hairy experienc e that felt completely alien to me.

RebuiltYorkie
07-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Your making my brain hurt just thinking about it......

Trike or combination, you lean the way you are turning. If your turning right then lean to the right, and vice versa.

If I was turning left on my combo and leaned right the chair would be up in the air and I'd probably be off....the bloke clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.

Cheers thats what I thought, but been a prat I went out to try it! Fun but I don't think it's safe :D

slob
07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I got told at a corporate day out that we had tho lean the opposite way to the bend on the quads... I thought afterwards that was to scare the sh1te out of the riders so the vehicles wouldn't get hammered.. I leaned into the bends.....loads a fun

RebuiltYorkie
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Yeah! I think? :D

RebuiltYorkie
07-09-2005, 04:57 PM
yeah independent suspension can change the handling of a trike a lot
My trike suspenssion is the original bike springs! The swinging arm as been stretched and then braced, so that the original springs splay out a little more than before! I ain't had no problems at all! I think I'll write to the "Reporter" bloke and tell him to actually try ridding a trike first before doing the write up as opposed to just quessing! That should get a response of some sort! :D

May be they'll let me try the Rocket 3 out! (Naah no such luck! wishful finking on my part) :D

BikerGran
07-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Or am I riding wrong? :

If it works it must be right!